Honolulu
Close

Thread: Honolulu

Just wondering if there are any CX riders in Honolulu, or on Oahu for that matter.

I am going to be out that way, from snow covered Minnesota, and thought it might be fun to visit with an island rider. I was thinking about renting a bike when I am out there so it would be fun to have someone to ride with.

Surf-or-Ski
    Surf-or-Ski

1981 Honda CX500C (CeXy), 2nd 1981 CX500 C (Project Bike)

2003 Honda Shadow 750 A.C.E. (LouLou, Wife's Bike)

2011 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 ABS

Ummm.... off hand I'm not sure exactly where he is, but bg2 is in Hawaii....
    1982 GL500 "Chaos"

2013 Suzuki VL1500 Boss

Brit, maybe you already know this, but renting a bike should be easy. When we were there, there were motorcycle rental shops on almost every block in Waikiki.

Have a great trip, wish I were going!
    '92 BMW K75RT

'83 Honda GL650 SilverWing Interstate (sold)

'82 Honda GL500 SilverWing Interstate (sold)

'77 Kawasaki KZ650 (sold)

Motorcycle Gang Blog

Deer Hunting Blog

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by WayneDW View Post
    Brit, maybe you already know this, but renting a bike should be easy. When we were there, there were motorcycle rental shops on almost every block in Waikiki.

Have a great trip, wish I were going!

Not that i am a Harley guy but I do have a $100.00 off a Harley Rental so I was thinking about using that, which would make for a pretty cheap day. Just trying to decide if I want to bring my ATGATT materials!!
    Surf-or-Ski

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaMK View Post
    Ummm.... off hand I'm not sure exactly where he is, but bg2 is in Hawaii....

I did send him a note, but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks for the tip.

Brit
    Surf-or-Ski

Last time I was there I rented a Road King.As soon as I left the shop with it I knew I wanted to buy one.By the end of the day and a trip around the island I couldn't wait to get it back.I did have a lot of fun and saved myself a ton of money by not buying one.Still riding my CX and happy !
    1982 GL500I

I know this is an older thread but wanted to add my comments.

I live part time on Oahu, but have not been a motorcyclist in Hawaii. Mostly because I find Oahu traffic very dangerous in general. I have considered shipping one of my bikes to my Oahu residence from time to time, but never went through with it. With the cost of shipping a bike from the Mainland (Roughly $1500), it is more prudent to just buy a bike in Honolulu, new or used. A GL500 would be a great bike on Oahu because a 500 is more than all you would need. Unless you are on H3 and can actually do 65 MPH for 5 miles or so, your average cruising speed will be 40 MPH anyway, and most of the riding will be on secondary roads.

My two cents living on the mainland and living on Oahu is BE EXTRA CAREFUL riding on Oahu. Driving and riding in Hawaii is a bit different than on the Mainland. Space is at a premium. Especially in and around Honolulu or via H1. That is a nightmare most of the day. Keep your head about you, be aware of what's around you. Assume NOBODY is seeing you, and leave yourself an out.

Aloha!
    -3Sport

I didn't find traffic to be much of an issue on the big island when I rented a scooter (too cheap to rent a Harley).

Quote Originally Posted by timothy_d View Post
    I didn't find traffic to be much of an issue on the big island when I rented a scooter (too cheap to rent a Harley).
    Yes, the Big Island is different than Oahu. Lots more space, way less population. Honolulu is crowded and the H1 corridor is a nightmare from sunup to sundown. I live on the Windward side of the Island and take the Pali or the Liki over to Honolulu. Both of these roads are like Parkways and have tunnels through the mountains to get from one side of the island to the other. Very twisty and rainy much of the time. You just have to exercise caution. Sometimes it POURS rain one minute and the roads get super-slick, then it's hot and sticky with the sun out the next.

The issue I have with the driving in Hawaii is differential of driving styles. Half the drivers seem to drive like they are at the Indy 500 and the other half drive like they just learned to drive. Much of the senior drivers from other countries that now live on Oahu seem to drive with no vision or regard for other drivers whatsoever. Lane changes without warning, swerving, weaving, sudden stops, vastly unexpected behavior in traffic including left turns from a right hand lane, ect. You just have to be on guard. The traffic is intense on parts of Oahu because the population is very dense for the size of the habitable land. There are not really a ton of roads to ride on Oahu if you are a permanent resident, and soon you'd get tired of "Touring" because you really can't "tour" on Oahu. It's a small island with limited roads. All in all - If you are on-guard and cautious, you'll be fine.

I'd love to have my GL500 Interstate on Oahu, the more i think of it. It is the PERFECT bike for Hawaii. But riding it to San Diego to put it on a ship and spending $1500 is not a possibility. I will just keep an eye out for one on Oahu. You never know. I may get lucky. Oahu has a huge amount of military personnel moving to and from the island daily. One may come with a GL500 and then decide to get rid of it.

-3Sport
    1982 GL500 Interstate

Sponsored Links