GL500 Dual-sport Build - Part 3
Close
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: GL500 Dual-sport Build - Part 3

GL500 Dual-sport Build - Part 3

Part 3 of the AdvWing build. Follow these links for Part 1 and Part 2.

Recently, I've turned my attention to bodywork. I had intended to mate the rear fender of the CR125 with that of the GL. I have a couple GL fenders, so I can experiment a little. I took the rattier of the two, and cut away the fender just below the "lobes" forward of the tail light. Holding the CR fender to this, I realized that I'd need to discard 2/3rds of it. Then I noticed that the profile was not too different from the part I had just removed.

So, I cut away the middle of the stock fender, where the license plate bracket was, and started shaping the cut edges to match up, with the shortened fender tail at a much shallower angle, like on a dirt bike. I originally planned to use Plasti-Fix to attach and fill the seam. (I had bought a kit a couple years ago to re-stud my side cover badges, and have used it to good effect on various other projects around the house.) I finished shaping the parts to my liking, aligned the pieces, and worked a good bead into the entire seam. Then I noticed it was crooked! In pulling it apart the next morning, I found that the bond had not been as strong as I had expected. At the time, I attributed it to not having chamfered the edges, hence poor penetration. But in retrospect, I'm not sure that this is the right solution for this material.

While I reworked the fender tail, I found a tutorial on a sport bike forum about plastic welding bodywork, and using ABS cement (rather than Bondo) as a filler. Since this appeared to be ABS, I gave it a try.

I wrapped the tip of my soldering gun with aluminum foil to prevent contaminating it for future use.

Then I taped the two pieces of the modified fender in place, tacked a few spots, and then worked slowly over both sides of the entire seam, being sure to penetrate fully, and using strips of scrap (after stripping the paint) as feed stock. The resulting seam is solid, but ugly. It will need some finishing.

The new skill was immediately transferable. This is the broken chain guide on my daughter's bicycle.

Here are a few comparison shots with the stock GL fender.

Here it is mounted.

And with the wheel.

Next step: filling and sanding.

R
    Last edited by Randall-in-Mpls; 07-10-2013 at 01:48 PM.
    Spring Ride 2017 is in the works: Spring Ride 2017 - Planning thread
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1978 CX500 Standard - The Grub

1981 GL500 Basket case -> AdventureWing (Dual-sport conversion in progress) - Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3

1979 CX500 Deluxe rolling chassis -> Hmm?

Nice job making do with what you have!
    1982 CX500TC- JH2PC0300CM000120
    You can lead the horticulture but you can't make her think.

If it were just a little steeper, this line would be perfect.

If this one ends up being practice, I'll be attentive to that when I modify the other fender.

R
    Last edited by Randall-in-Mpls; 07-06-2013 at 11:43 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1981 GL500 Basket case -> AdventureWing (Dual-sport conversion in progress) - Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

According to the tutorial on the Ninja forum, the ABS cement is a little thin to use as a body filler. The recommendation is to leave the can open to evaporate away some of the solvent. If it becomes too stiff, it can be thinned again using acetone or MEK. Another option is to dissolve clean scrap pieces into the cement. Or just dissolve the scrap into acetone or MEK. Then the resulting plastic will be a 100% match.

Cool! I have lots of scrap.

So, I minced up the piece I had been using as feed stock, and put it in a glass jar with a bit of acetone. By the next morning, it had done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! On a long shot, I next tried acrylic cement (the water-thin stuff, don't remember the brand) and PVC pipe primer (mostly MEK.) Nothing.

I'm pretty certain now that our rear fenders (and maybe the other plastic parts) and High-Density PolyEthylene (HPDE.) It's an insoluble thermoplastic, the same stuff in milk jugs and garbage carts (The blue one in my photos is a new Minneapolis recycling cart. It makes a great work table. ) I don't think I'll find any way to properly fill it, other than by heating feed stock.

R
    Last edited by Randall-in-Mpls; 08-20-2013 at 03:43 PM.

New direction. I decided to make some custom ends for my soldering iron (not the gun.) I finished the flat blade yesterday. I'll post pics after I finish the curved blade. They should effectively serve as heated trowels to smooth over the seam. Then I can sand out the blemishes.

R
    Last edited by Randall-in-Mpls; 08-20-2013 at 03:44 PM.

Interesting take on a final drive less bike.
    1968 Honda CT90 Trail-Yellow Monster project
    1979 Honda CX500 Supertanker 72,000 miles.
    1983 Honda Gl650I Falcon-killer 78,000 miles.
    Pictures of my bikes Past and Present.

Quick Reference Sheps Forum Supertanker Build Back up Info ⇒ Free Factory Service Manuals ⇐

VC3
    Hi Randall....I have some CX500 rear fenders that i could play with, one that's cut up....and i have a plastic welder made by the good folks that make Plasti-Fix. I bought the welder to fix stress cracks in a kayak I used to own....it went through a tornado and when it fell out of the sky it landed on a metal t-post.....(I conveniently wasn't in it at the time).

I also have some plastic rods for filling holes and cracks....I'll give it a try on the cut up CX fender and if it works it just may solve your filling problem. Kayaks are HDPE also, I believe..... You may be able to "weld" the plastic if you have a HDPE fill stick (part of the kit from Urethane Supply) and a heat gun. The stress crack in my kayak was easily healed simply by heating it with my HFT $9.95 heat gun......when the plastic turns shiny its melted and can be formed any way you want....might want to have some nice smooth non-rubber gloves on....other wise you leave fingerprints in the plastic not to mention the burned fingers......

I'll let you know what happens.

Sorry I missed you yesterday....

Did your wife tell you that after I gave her the CDI and highway bars I asked her where I should put the motorcycle I brought you to her great surprise (and consternation)?

It wasn't my idea....Dan put me up to it...............

Victor
    1979 CX500D project (in progress)

I did use my heat gun to soften and bend the forward tips of the tail piece to lay down on the "lobes." I hadn't thought about using it for filling.

If the custom tips in the soldering iron don't work out, I'll give that a try.

R

P.S. Heidi mentioned your joke. She wasn't amused (because it was plausible.)
    Last edited by Randall-in-Mpls; 07-08-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by clarkve3 View Post
    Hi Randall....I have some CX500 rear fenders that i could play with, one that's cut up....and i have a plastic welder made by the good folks that make Plasti-Fix. I bought the welder to fix stress cracks in a kayak I used to own....it went through a tornado and when it fell out of the sky it landed on a metal t-post.....(I conveniently wasn't in it at the time).

I also have some plastic rods for filling holes and cracks....I'll give it a try on the cut up CX fender and if it works it just may solve your filling problem. Kayaks are HDPE also, I believe..... You may be able to "weld" the plastic if you have a HDPE fill stick (part of the kit from Urethane Supply) and a heat gun. The stress crack in my kayak was easily healed simply by heating it with my HFT $9.95 heat gun......when the plastic turns shiny its melted and can be formed any way you want....might want to have some nice smooth non-rubber gloves on....other wise you leave fingerprints in the plastic not to mention the burned fingers......

I'll let you know what happens.

Sorry I missed you yesterday....

Did your wife tell you that after I gave her the CDI and highway bars I asked her where I should put the motorcycle I brought you to her great surprise (and consternation)?

It wasn't my idea....Dan put me up to it...............

Victor
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall-in-Mpls View Post
    I did use my heat gun to soften and bend the forward tips of the tail piece to lay down on the "lobes." I hadn't thought about using it for filling.

If the custom tips in the soldering iron don't work out, I'll give that a try.

R

P.S. Heidi mentioned your joke. She wasn't amused (because it was plausible.)
    Just so I am allowed back into Randall's back yard again sometime, Victor is totally responsible! (I sure do wish I had thought of it though!)

Harbor Freight sells plastic welding kits.
    Dan :happy3:

:blob6:My link to the cam seal delete plug
    '81 CX500c 41,000+ miles.
    CXGL WIKI<------ Check here for help!
    :blob10:
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Always check the stupid stuff before panicking. This applies to everything in life.

Quote Originally Posted by DanCX500 View Post
    Harbor Freight sells plastic welding kits.
    But it's more fun to make my own.

R
    DanCX500 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links