"Dances With Trikes" is finally getting done!
Close

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: "Dances With Trikes" is finally getting done!

Smile "Dances With Trikes" is finally getting done!

It's been a very long day, so I'll keep this short (especially for me!). For those who don't know, I've had a GL500i undergoing a transformation into a full blown trike for the last 2 1/4 years. As of today except for assembling, it is 98% complete. I picked it up from my former partner this evening and it is on a trailer in my driveway right now. I'll unload it in the AM and begin a "final photoshoot" as it goes together. It is a "true trike" conversion as God intends (i.e., three wheels, not just adding two training wheels to hold it up). It has an automotive style full differential on the new rear axle assembly so cornering is again, what God intends it to be.

I am calling it "Dances With Trikes" because as you will see in the near future, the bike will look like what an 1982 Indian Transverse Twin would have been had Honda had been the one to buy out the Indian name and bring it back from the dead. I'll do a "catch up" narrative later this week so it will eventually be the whole story in one thread.

Like I said, more to come ..........
    Phil in Vermont and JesterV like this.
    Bob Witte, The Ghost of The Trinity Trike (Past)

My GL500 trike conversion project thread: http://cx500forum.com/forum/cx-custo...ting-done.html
    Click on this URL to download my free PDF for new Trikers:http://magic-pc.net/HowToRideAMotorcycleTrike.pdf

I've often wondered what God intends. Looking forward to the photoshoot c/w narrative.
    '83 CX650E with touring hardware

I too will look forward to the write up, i'd love to build a trike one day and a bit of inspiration is always good
    '83 gl500dc frankenbobber in a cx650 eurosport frame, with a cbr600rr6 front end....

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

You may want to reconsider the name "Dances with Trikes". Trikes are men cross dressing as women who are prostituting.

Its a long story about a freind is how i know about this. So, lets leave the details out.

Quote Originally Posted by shitou View Post
    You may want to reconsider the name "Dances with Trikes". Trikes are men cross dressing as women who are prostituting.

Its a long story about a freind is how i know about this. So, lets leave the details out.
    Thanks for the well intentioned heads up and for leaving out details I'm sure most of us wouldn't want to know!

I'm just shy of 3 score and 10 and have never heard of that term, but then I've never paid for any kind of sex either (regular definitions, or even Bill Clinton's re-definitions).

Anyhow, I've been riding since the late 50's and in my circles a trike is a three wheeled motorcycle (like in my avatar). Also as I said, my trike is going to look like Indian built it, thus the play on "Dances With Wolves" one of my favorite movies of all time.

The other name I tossed about was "Alpha & Omega" since this was the very last trike from my old company The Trinity Trike and actually is something of a prototype for my former partner's new company, Yelvington Trikes.

But with the Indian motif so obvious, I'm staying with "Dances With Trikes."

I'm pretty sure that 99.237% of the population won't have any cross dressing confusion about it!

Again, thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by Bob Witte; 07-16-2013 at 08:06 AM.

My GL500 trike conversion project thread: http://cx500forum.com/forum/cx-custo...ting-done.html
    Click on this URL to download my free PDF for new Trikers:http://magic-pc.net/HowToRideAMotorcycleTrike.pdf

This was an observed lesson during one of my trips to Asia.

My friend thought he had struck a good deal. As he was checking the equipment, he discovered more than he expected or wanted. This was in 2004, he is still trying to out live the encounter.

I understand your naming of the trike, but when coupled with "Dancing with Trikes"........ it can conjure up another interptation.

Quote Originally Posted by shitou View Post
    This was an observed lesson during one of my trips to Asia.

My friend thought he had struck a good deal. As he was checking the equipment, he discovered more than he expected or wanted. This was in 2004, he is still trying to out live the encounter.

I understand your naming of the trike, but when coupled with "Dancing with Trikes"........ it can conjure up another interptation.
    Point well taken, first and foremost I'll stay out of Asia (I was already there for a year longer than I wanted!!). And I promise to re-name the trike the first time a prostitute with prostrate cancer propositions me!! :lol:
    Last edited by Bob Witte; 07-16-2013 at 09:52 AM.

Okay enough of the "fun banter" about names.

I'm attaching some good clear shots of the conversion. First of all, prepare yourselves, this conversion takes a final shaft drive power delivery system and puts a chain drive behind it. What we did here was do a power take off of the rear wheel drive hub using a big twin sized 530 chain. Both new sprockets are matching with 36 teeth each so the rotations are 1-to-1. Keeping the new rear tires close to the OEM dimension keeps from screwing up the stock gear ratios. However, I opted for a slightly larger rear tire which should result in a drop of up to 500 rpm at 60 mph. We'll see how that goes.

At Trinity we tried a few true shaft drive conversions (Kawa's & Honda Shadows) all of which turned out to be excellent rides and any one of those I'd love to have back. However, each of them cost ME $3000 or more than I could charge for the conversion! Our goal was always affordability first, so we abandoned that style early on. After that time we turned our attention to the super scooter market.

In a power tap for these transmission-in-the-swingarm models that became obvious to us was to use the removed rear wheel's hub to drive a new sprocket linked to our replacement rear axle. This technique turned out to be a booming sucesses with the Burgman & Silverwing scooter conversions. When we once again looked at the mid-sized shaft drive bike market I decided to use a shaft drive as my own ride as well as our prototype.

Since it was to be my personal bike, I opted for either a GL/CX or Pacific Coast because of my personal affection for Honda's. Also I wanted a model that was a bit "long in the tooth" (i.e., very much on the vintage side) so I wouldn't be tempted to sell it. You see, we had built 3 different trikes for my "personal ride" and each was sold within weeks to help keep the company moving forward. I was hoping that nobody would make me an offer I couldn't refuse for a trike made from a 20 or 30 year old donor ride. Fortunately (???) for me, we shut down Trinity long before I could be so tempted.

So all that to say that's how I picked the GL500i and how it became a shaft drive to chain drive conversion. Well, that is enough preamble for today. Here are the photos of the newly installed rear conversion drive assembly:

Name:  Rear1.jpg
Views: 6732
Size:  400.7 KBName:  Rear2.jpg
Views: 19577
Size:  446.9 KBName:  Rear3.jpg
Views: 5094
Size:  1.89 MB
    Last edited by Bob Witte; 07-16-2013 at 12:05 PM.
    Phil in Vermont likes this.

very cool Bob! Cant wait to see more photos of the overall trike.

When you had first mentioned how the rear end was set up I had difficulty picturing it in my head. After seeing the pictures I am impressed. Lookin good. Cant wait to see more of the trike

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links