79 cx500 cafe build with 3000 original miles
Close

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

79 cx500 cafe build with 3000 original miles

I thought that it would be nice to share this build. The original bike is a 79 cx500 with...3419 original miles, that i bought 1.5 months ago. This is how i got it. The owner started to build a cafe racer, but the cafe style started to be too much and he gave up. There was no electrics on it, no seat, some welded clip-ons and so on. So i was not really interested at first, but then i saw the cluster in the box...3400 miles. I was like...well it might be just a cluster from another bike.So took a gamble and bought it, along with another complete 80 custom.

Got it home-started on the wiring(its very easy when there are 3 more cx's in my garage to get parts from, and see exactly where everything goes).Checked the stator(they go bad as you know-and it was good.).
    Next-carbs. This is were i was sure that i got the right bike. I took the off, and when i opened them it was a shock-they looked brand new. Check out the pictures

Here is a video of the carbs.

[video]/video]

Next to make sure even more that the cluster is from the bike(before i see how the bike runs) i took the valve covers off. So this is a cover from this bike(on the left) to compare with one with 25k miles(on the right).Very very clean.

So as you can imagine i didnt have to clean the carbs at all, just made sure that everything is in working order, and did a test leak as well.Put them back on the bike, checked the valves-they were exactly as the manual says, even the oil looked good. And fired her up-this is a video of the first start, and then of the bike revving. Pay attention-NO AIR BOX OR MUFFFLERS.

Last edited by Moldousa; 12-11-2013 at 08:39 PM.

I cant seem to post a direct video from photo bucket to the forum-tried the embed code, doesnt work.Just click on the picture of the video and it will take you to it.

Ok so now that i made sure the the bike is 100% i started taking it apart to the frame. Took everything down.
    I usually take everything apart to the last bolt.I want the bike to be as clean as it can be.

First thing front fork rebuild. New seals and 15W oil. You now how the bolt on the bottom is usually very tight and most of the time strips?Well on this bike it was as easy as 1-2. Actually more i went into it, i saw that no bolt was stripped.So this bike had no work done to it to the engine,wheels,carbs or frame.

Here they are polished to a mirror finish.I like polishing.The end result is beautiful, and there is no paint to worry about. Its clean aluminum.

Next i swapped both front and rear rims with original comstars. The bike originally had the inverted ones-they are too skinny for my taste.
    A new set of Bridgestone Spitfire's 11F(awesome tires-worth every penny, not cheap tho), with epoxy paint. I started prepping everything for paint. The frame and engine was done in 2 tones-cast aluminum and semi-flat black. Her are some pictures of the wheels, frame,swing arm,front forks,from disk, tank,triple trees and starter.

Here are the rear shocks polished to a mirror finish as well.
    Last edited by Moldousa; 12-11-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Some more pictures of the painted parts.They were painted about 3 weeks ago, when it was still warm weather here in Michigan.Now with 10 degrees outside, i have to keep a heater in my paint booth.Good thing that is sealed, so it heats up to 70-75 in 3-4 minutes

Here is the tank painted and clear coated with a 2k clear coat with automtive hardener. Makes all the difference for scratches and gas spills.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Great find. Nice work.

OK first small issue.I noticed the the bike cranks hard.Checked the battery voltage-it was good. So opened the starter. The walls were rusty a little bit and a little hard to turn by hand.SInce i had 3 more sitting there i opened each one and chose the best of them. i used the casing of the original one-it was in a better shape.Then it got painted.

And here is the replacement.

Next i started to prep the engine for paint. So i removed everything from it-radiator,fan,heads,brackets and so on. I did a leak test on the radiator,and bad news it was leaking.So swapped it with a good one i had. The it was disassembled for painting. Polished the sides,cap mounting brakets and bolts-and voila,a a very very nice piece.This is one of my favorite things on the engine now . Also most of the parts that got painted and were able to fit in an oven were baked for 5-10 minutes for extra durability.

Last edited by Moldousa; 12-11-2013 at 08:50 PM.

Here are some pictures of the engine cleaned, and painted.It was 20 degrees at that point, and my garage/shop is not heated, so i had to use to gas heaters to keep the temps above 60. The engine was painted with high heat enamel.Then every bolt was polished(remember polish addict ).I painted the pulsar cover black to give it some color.Polished the clutch and the coolant tube.

And here are the heads-first polished and then painted semi flat black-the bolts were polished as well.Actually every bolt on this bike is polished-very time consuming, but its worth it.

Very nice work. Keep going.

Perfectly Designed to Improve Your Performance

1980 CX500RR

I had to take all the painted parts in my basement-it was a lot warmer there,and i put a roller together to see it.Here it is

OK, so i was debating on the seat-there are a lot of pre-made ones out there.But i didnt like the shape of them. So went ahead and gambled on a Biltwell sportster seat.

So this is the original built Biltwell seat

And since the frame was cut and plug welded, i had to do some serious work to fit the seat the right way.

So i completely took the seat apart. The whole quality of the seat is ok-made in Taiwan.Build good. The pan is made out of plastic.Glued and stapled.
    So took the staples out, used a heat gun to soften the glue on the sides and took the vinyl off. I was careful not to tear the vinyl apart.

Next i cut the end that goes to the tank about 1 inch so i can have a more of a flat surface.The original one didnt sit quite right against the tank.

Then i got some 13 ga aluminum sheet and made a template from the seat foam.Cut it to size, and used my HF sheet bender and started to bend the pan. I mostly used my hands but the bender did help quite a lot to make the overall shape.

Then i drilled and fitted 3 bolts so i can attach it to the cx frame. The 2 bolts would fit in here. The one in the rear would fit into the fender that i will weld to the frame later.

Next i had to shave the extra from the bottom of the foam, and cut some more in the front.Because the tank bolts to the frame, it sits a little higher than the seat. So i cut the bottom half of the front 2 inches so that it can lay flush with the tank mount.Her it is

Than i sanded and prepped the surface to bond it back to the foam. BTW i cut the pan a little smaller than the foam, so that it doesnt have sharp edges and cut the vinyl.

I heated the pan up for the epoxy mix. This is what i used.It is the softest from this line-up.

The mix bonds in 10-15 minutes.So i used some plastic clamps and left it overnight while checking and adjusting the pan for the first 30 minutes.

Then i used some 3m vinyl can spray and sprayed the leather cover to the foam.Here is the almost final result.

Im going to use the same mount for the tank.Thats why i left a middle cut on the pan and then bent it a little bit to fit snug.So i will have to lift the front of the seat up to access the bolt hole(thats why i cut the front in the previous steps).And thats about it-i will have a picture on the frame mounted later.
    Last edited by Moldousa; 12-12-2013 at 08:23 AM.

Btw wanted to share some of my previous builds,just so you guys have an idea what im doing around here.

This is a 73 cb350 that i built 5-6 months ago-took me a year to get it done.

This is a 79cx500 (thats the owner on it)

This is a 95 cbr900rr cafe/streetfighter with a rear frame from scratch

This was my last build a 81 cb650

Last edited by Moldousa; 12-12-2013 at 08:50 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links