Eccles: The Never Ending Build (retroactive to 2006) - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Eccles: The Never Ending Build (retroactive to 2006)

Thoroughly enjoyable read , Bob!
    You're one die hard rider, snow doesn't even stop you. Is eccles pronounced as it's spelled? (Ekkels??)
    Thank you for digging around in that big brain of yours and showing us some history,
    Jason
    1980 cx500 custom and 1981 cx500 deluxe

According to Wikipedia its pronounced ˈɛkəlz but your version is close enough. I didn't name it Eccles until 2008; before that it was just "The 650". I'll post more about that later.

Here in Ontario vehicles have to pass a safety standards inspection before you can transfer the ownership of a fit vehicle or have a vehicle's status changed from unfit to fit. Before starting work I had registered the 650 in my name but as unfit to make sure the title was clean. If you intend to modify a vehicle in any way that will effect the handling (such as adding a sidecar) it is always better to have it inspected first. Here are some pics from the day it was inspected
    Name:  CX650E left 6 Oct 2006.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  248.0 KB
    Name:  CX650E right 6 Oct 2006.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  142.1 KB

BTW: When I removed the emblems from the engine for painting there was a lot of water behind them. Over the years debris had washed down behind them & sealed up the space at the bottom, preventing water from escaping.The water had been in there for a while because it had lifted the paint & there was a lot of rust from the brackets that hold the emblems in place.

I also discovered that the driveshaft boot was split so I posted this Driveshaft boot: are CX650E & GL500 the same? - Honda CX500 & GL500 Forum and found out that a right outer CV boot for an '84-87 Civic 1500 could be easily modified to fit any CX/GL with Pro-Link. It is still in good condition 8 years later. I highly recommend inspecting yours and replacing
    Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr)
    Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/Veloural)
    Eccles: The Never Ending Build
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI
    FORUM SETTINGS EVERYONE SHOULD MAKE

I have been arthritic since my 20s so the CX650E's footpeg location wouldn't do. The pegs were originally mounted on aluminum brackets, the right one of which was also the mount for the brake pedal
    Name:  original footpeg setup R.JPG
Views: 733
Size:  81.6 KBName:  original footpeg setup L.JPG
Views: 737
Size:  78.6 KB
    Moving the pegs down & forward (about 2.5") was pretty easy. I made up a couple of pieces of steel to bolt on in place of the brackets and bolted the pegs to them.
    Name:  footpeg mount 1.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  143.7 KBName:  footpeg mount 2.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  160.2 KB
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

I forgot to mention that the safety was done on October 6th, one week after the day we put the engine & rear end into the frame. Its amazing what you can do when you are trying to get done before it snows Name:  snow.gif
Views: 694
Size:  1.5 KB

And another week later, on October 11th, it looked like this. The sidecar was on but it still had the original seat (which hurt my knees where they rubbed against the front edges), it still had the original tail light and the battery was still in the original location... But it was driveable and the sidecar setup was pretty close to what I like so I put put it on the road on October 19th after spending about $1150 including title transfer & taxes. The rest could be done on weekends before it got cold.
    Name:  CX650E 11 Oct 2006.JPG
Views: 716
Size:  143.8 KB

And it was. Here it is on Dec. 1, as done as it was going to get, and you can see from the dirt on the engine & seat that November was pretty rainy.
    Name:  CX650E Dec 1 2006 1.JPG
Views: 817
Size:  53.8 KB

GL500 front seat with the pieces of 1"x4" structural aluminum bolted to the frame in place of the rear seat so that the trunk and battery box could be mounted without a rack. Much tidier than what I had on the 500 or the 750.
    Name:  CX650E Dec 1 2006 2.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  66.3 KB

And for the first time ever I had matching tail lights & turn signals on the bike & sidecar.
    Name:  CX650E Dec 1 2006 3.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  282.4 KB

The fairing that was on all 3 of the machines mentioned so far (plus the GS400 I had before the 500, both as a sidecar outfit and later a trike) originally came from my '83 GoldWing. On the 500 I used the GL1100 lowers with parts cut from a plastic waste basket bolted on to cover up the holes. They wouldn't work with the 750 so I bought a brand new waste basket and cut it up to make the "Rubbermaid lowers". I'm pretty sure I modified them to fit the 650 some time during the winter of '06-'07 but I didn't get around to taking pics of them.
    Last edited by Sidecar Bob; 09-06-2014 at 10:40 PM.
    orcish likes this.
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI

I have been re-creating this from notes in my maintenance log and stuff I posted on the forum about what I was doing. Since I hoped & expected to keep Eccles longer than any previous winter machine I have kept better records right from the beginning than I did for anything before. But I seem to keep better records every year and it seems like every time I look back more than a couple of years I wish I had kept better notes then. All of which means that I am bound to occasionally remember some detail that I missed because it wasn't in my notes but I feel is important enough that it deserves to be added in later.

In this case, that means what I did to prepare the frame for long survival in a salty environment:

For most of the time I had it my GL500 had its rear seat and its original rear fender. In 2004 I decided that, since nobody had actually sat on the back seat in years, it made a lot of sense to remove it, eliminate the rack and mount the trunk & the old Yamaha saddlebag that held the lawn tractor battery on structural aluminum bolted directly to the frame (similar to what I did a couple of years later on the 650). Until then I had never looked at what was under the back seat closely enough to realize that the frame terminated with open tubes that would allow anything that got into the recesses in the fender to run down into the lowest part of the pressed steel part of the frame. Concern about how much salt saturated slop could have ended up in there during 4 winters of use contributed substantially to my decision to retire the 500 after 1 more winter.

I didn't want that to happen to the 650 so I sprayed most of a can of RustCheck into those tubes, cleaned out their ends and sealed them with thick plugs (probably 1.5-2" long) of Kitchen & Bath Silicone to ensure that no moisture could get in that way. The next fall I contacted RustCheck for advise on the best way to protect my bike with their products and was advised to use the high creep oil (red) inside the frame and the thick, sticky stuff (green) on surfaces likely to be abraded by salt & grit as well as places like the carb linkages to both lubricate and keep water & salt out.

All indications are that it is working. I used to spend a lot of time every summer removing peeling paint and rust and re-painting. Since I started using RustCheck the damage has been reduced so much that it usually takes 2 years to get bad enough to get the wire brushes out and even then it requires less than half of the work I used to have to do. After 8 years Eccles is in better condition than most of my winter bikes were in after 2.

Re silicone:
    I keep 2 kinds of silicone on my workbench:
    I always have a caulking gun of clear Kitchen & Bath silicone. Whenever I have a fastener un-done that won't be getting hot, I put a squirt of silicone into the threads before putting it back. This seals out water so the threads won't rust. I also put some between any parts I am assembling. Since I started doing this, working on bikes has been much easier. Especially my winter sidecar bikes that are used on salted roads.
    I use high temp silicone (designed for use on engines) on gaskets & on bolts that will get hot (such as engine bolts). I use anti sieze in the exhaust nuts & other things that get really hot, but it just doesn't work as well on them as silicone does on bolts that don't get hot.

NOTE: Silicone is not a substitute for a gasket. It can be used to improve the seal of a gasket, and I have seen gaskets that came from the factory with a bead of silicone on them - a Harley primary cover gasket and a GL1000 water pump cover gasket for example.

If you are going to use silicone on a gasket you must never assemble parts with un-cured silicone between them. If the silicone isn't completely cured it can squeeze out from the joint & tiny drops of it can come free to float around inside the crankcase, end up in the oil, & block oil passages.

The correct way to use silicone in engine assembly is to apply it to the gasket either in a bead less than 3mm wide and 1mm thick or as a coating so thin that you can only tell it is there by it's sheen, then let it cure overnight before assembly (longer if it's cold where you are working).
    If you do this, the gasket should come out clean the next time you take it apart & you should get another use from it.
    I would only use a gasket twice, though, because after that it may be too compressed and affect clearances.
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI

Bob, thanks for the kind words about my very minor part in Eccles. I've always been a sucker for an impossible project, and I early recognized a kindred spirit. The difference between us is, I wonder about them, YOU DO THEM! And for the record, Bob sent me a box of useful parts for my contribution. As well as sidecar advice. I was well paid. And I smile every time I see Eccles in your avatar. Winter's coming Bob, are you getting excited ? :-)
    Sure, I'm crazy, but life is more interesting that way!

'76 CB500T w/Velorex Hack

'79 CX500C

'82 GL500

'83 GL650

'83 GL650I

'83 CX650 E,T (sold the C)

"so I bought a brand new waste basket and cut it up to make the "Rubbermaid lowers".

Sooooo, that's where Tony got the idea!
    Sure, I'm crazy, but life is more interesting that way!

'76 CB500T w/Velorex Hack

'79 CX500C

'82 GL500

'83 GL650

'83 GL650I

'83 CX650 E,T (sold the C)

Great job!
    GL650 Naked
    If you need help in Russia - just call (or write SMS) +79057300187

In order to attach a sidecar & bike together you need a minimum of 3 attachment points on the bike (preferably 4) and the one that is absolutely necessary is the lower front mount - right where there is nothing to attach to on these bikes. So a subframe is needed to provide something to attach to. I went through all of that when I attached the Velorex 700 and GL500 and it had worked well for about 45,000 Km so I used the same subframe for the 650.

My subframe attaches to the lugs on the bottom of the engine (nobody knows why Honda put them there, but they are perfect for attaching the subframe to), the right rear engine mount and the right front engine mount.
    Name:  Subframe 1.JPG
Views: 718
Size:  96.3 KB

Name:  Subframe 2.JPG
Views: 697
Size:  123.3 KB
    Here's what it looks like installed
    Name:  Subframe 3.JPG
Views: 727
Size:  240.0 KB
    And with the strut in place
    Name:  Subframe 4.JPG
Views: 687
Size:  71.9 KB
    And just to give you an idea of the other attachment points
    Name:  Mounting 1.JPG
Views: 729
Size:  62.8 KB

Name:  Mounting 2.JPG
Views: 671
Size:  267.0 KB

It must have been pretty reliable that first year because the log shows nothing between mounting the trunk & battery in November 2006 and getting it ready for winter in the fall of 2007.

But a search of the forum archives found only these:
    See: I told you washing a bike wasn't a good idea! - Honda CX500 & GL500 Forum (The problem went away but re-surfaced a year later)

Re: I found a decent aftermarket headlight unit!!!! - Honda CX500 & GL500 Forum
    Somehow that didn't get recorded in the log, probably because I installed it while the 650 wasn't being used.
    Motomicah likes this.
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI

I have realized that I completely missed mentioning Eccles' fenders. The original abbreviated sport bike would not have been adequate on sloppy winter roads so I spent quite a bit of time & effort figuring out what I could do for minimal expense that would work.

The front was relatively easy. The GL500 fender bolted up to the CX-E forks and cleared the tire but the fork brace wouldn't bolt down over it. A bit of trial & error determined that if I used a 3/8" ss nut under each corner as a spacer it would raise it just enough so that it barely cleared the top of the fender. Fortunately, I had 4 M8 Allen head bolts that were just enough longer than the originals to work.

The rear was another matter altogether. I brought all of the plastic fenders I had down from the attic to see what had a close enough profile to mate with the original inner fender. The only thing that came close was (surprise! surprise!) the inner fender from the GL500. The edges were shaped to snap onto the 500's frame so I had to trim them off and the flaps at what was originally the front end were very asymmetrical to fit around stuff so they had to be trimmed to match.
    Name:  gl500 inner fender.JPG
Views: 663
Size:  19.5 KB
    I have always thought the final shape resembled the back of an old fashioned fireman's helmet.
    Name:  Rear Fender.JPG
Views: 642
Size:  50.7 KB
    The rear fender is solid enough not to cause problems but flexible enough that I can bend it out of the way a bit to make room for getting the wheel out.
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links