Eccles: The Never Ending Build (retroactive to 2006) - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Eccles: The Never Ending Build (retroactive to 2006)

You may have noticed the white plastic bolted across the top 5" of the sidecar windshield. The windshield hinged forward like an aircraft canopy and latched solidly when closed. The cover sort of buttoned on at the back and was held at the front by a big elastic. It was supported by a couple of flexible struts that went into sockets bolted to the top of the body and in the top edge of the windshield. When the PO lost the original cover and struts they had a new cover made and supported it with pieces of fibreglass tent pole which were way too stiff. I didn't know that they were too stiff until I went to put the cover on one morning the first year I had it and the top few inches of the windshield flew across the garage. I sandwiched the broken windshield between 2 pieces of 3mm HDPE sheet (glued & bolted) as a temporary measure until I could get a new one. Velorex USA wanted a ridiculous price so it was still like that 6 years later.
    Name:  CX650E Dec 1 2006 4.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  95.8 KB

As I said before, there is nothing in my maintenance log until the fall of 2007. At that time I moved some of the lighting & heating switches in the fairing around and changed the lights on the front of the sidecar. The lights in the previous pics are a pair of halogen driving lights. The one closest to the bike was a low beam headlight, controlled by one of those switches on the fairing. I had modified the other one with an amber non-halogen bulb to use as a turn signal (the wire to signal part of the fairing's right signal bub was disconnected so that it wouldn't confuse other drivers). The new lights were a pair of 35W halogen mini headlights that I mounted side by side with one as a low beam and the other as a high. I also bought another trailer turn signal like the ones I had on the back for the front of the sidecar. Pics next time.
    Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr)
    Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/Veloural)

Click here for Eccles: The Never Ending Build (retroactive to 2006)
    Click here to visit my blog at CURD

CLICK HERE FOR CX WIKI

It was time to do something about that windshield. I found some snowmobile windshields on sale and thought maybe I could mount one of them and have a new top made that would snap to the top edge so I took it to the boat top guy who had put the "skylight" into the old cover so that passengers had a chance to see out. He looked at the windshield and said it wasn't strong enough to support what I wanted. Then he asked if it had to have a hard windshield or would a soft one be OK? He explained that they did that on boats sometimes and it worked OK so we talked over what I wanted and made arrangements for me to leave it with him for a few days.

When I got it back I decided it looked terrible. The top looked so nice & new but the bike looked so... Well, look at the last pic I posted...

So I got some paint, Matt & I removed the new top & its supports and the next day while I was at work he got out a brush and a little roller and got to work.
    Name:  Oct 07 left700.JPG
Views: 687
Size:  93.0 KB

Name:  Oct 07 rear 700.JPG
Views: 706
Size:  88.8 KB

Name:  Oct 07 right 700.JPG
Views: 686
Size:  83.0 KB

Name:  Oct 07 cover going on.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  339.5 KB
    CliffD, OCR and chocolatelvis like this.

CLICK HERE FOR CX WIKI

BTW, the tires in those pics are:
    Front - Cheng Shin C-186 3.50-18
    Rear - Kenda K270 4.50-18
    Sidecar - Kenda K761 100-90-16 (bought for the front of the Nighthawk)

I had often found froth in the final drive oil of the GL500 and the 650. I figured it had to be caused by moisture being drawn into the FD through the vent, which is located where the wheel can spray water all over it whenever it rains or snows. I took the breather apart in hopes of finding a way to help keep water out and realized that the bolt that held it together was the same size as a brake banjo bolt. Hmm... So I dug out an old rubber brake line and a Banjo bolt. I used a copper washer between the bolt & the banjo but the notch in the FD housing that allows air in & out meant that a copper washer wouldn't seal it so I used a slice of clear plastic tubing that would deform & seal when the bolt was tightened. I cut the banjo off of the other end of the line and routed it along the swingarm and up the frame so that the open end could sit inside the air intake where it is sheltered.
    Name:  Extended FD breather.JPG
Views: 946
Size:  77.6 KB
    And before anyone mentions that there is no nut on the bolt in the sidecar strut, this pic was taken in 2011 while I was setting up the new sidecar frame.

In December I replaced the K270 with a K257. In Jan. 2008 I re-covered the seat. The new top made the right hand mirror useless for seeing anything that wasn't directly behind me so I added a mirror on the side of the sidecar.

The gas cap's seal had started to leak. If I filled the tank shortly before parking the heat from the engine would cause the cold fuel in the tank to expand and pour out across the top of the tank. Some time in the spring of 2008 I got fed up with the new paint peeling. I didn't know that new gas cap seals were available so I looked for an alternative.

I bought the cap shown at Canadian Tire. It fit the same diameter hole as the original but had 2 ribs instead of the original's single rib so I cut off one rib to make it fit. It isn't in my notes but I remember that it wasn't vented so I could only go a few Km before I had to stop and open the cap so ended up drilling a tiny hole in the top of it. It wasn't the best solution but it worked and a lot less expanding fuel escaped after that.
    Name:  Gas Cap comp.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  431.4 KB
    Last edited by Sidecar Bob; 10-09-2014 at 05:50 PM.
    Motomicah likes this.

CLICK HERE FOR CX WIKI

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

THIS IS IMPORTANT SO I AM ADDING IT OUT OF SEQUENCE: I do not recommend messing around with a plastic gas cap like that. I was never happy with it and in a couple of years eventually the edges of the filler opening started cutting into the plastic catches so I had to push down on it while I turned the key. I started looking for alternatives in 2011 and ended up corresponding with Murray about one that I had found on eBay. Per Murray's recommendation (is there anything that guy doesn't know?) I now have a cap for a 250 Rebel on my GL500 tank. 3 years later it shows no appreciable wear.

This is the same part TAN Fuel GAS CAP Lock KEY FOR Honda VTX 1300 Rebel Magna Shadow VLX Spirit Sabre | eBay
    The listing says it will fit the following models:
    Honda Rebel CA125 CA250 450
    Honda Rebel CMX250 CMX250C
    Honda MAGNA 250 750
    Honda Shadow VLX (VT600)
    Honda Shadow SPIRIT (750 & 1100)
    Honda Shadow SABRE (1100 & 1300)
    Honda VTX 1300
    Honda FURY VT 1300

I have a feeling that it will fit most other Hondas but I don't know for sure.

Correction: Matt sent me the following
    "I would have preferred to have used a roller on all those big flat surfaces on the sidecar, but I used a big brush because you didn't want the orange peel effect in the paint... Also, you said it took a day to paint, (if I had used a roller, it may well have taken a day or less to actually paint, after the prep was completed) but I remember at least 3 days from prep to finish... (We disassembled the sides, ground/filed several rusty spots on the side panels & sanded/filled several blistered spots on the fiberglass.) The prep work was very important to making the paint look good & last of course, and I would include it as part of the job of painting, even though most people count only the application of paint as painting time..."

So that brings us to the spring of 2008 and the question many of you have been waiting with bated breath for me to answer:

Why is it called Eccles?

In the summer of 2007 the fledgling Canadian URal /Dnepr riders club (web based like HTTA) invited Cycle Canada Magazine to their first National rally. CC ran an article about it (& particularly about a Ural test ride during the rally) that mentioned that some of these nutbars actually drive their sidecar outfits year round. When I read that a light went on above my head and a bell rang and a few days later I was a member of their forum Canadian Ural/Dnepr Rider's Group ? Index page

Naming your machine is kind of a tradition among CURDs, and one that I could relate to since my Dnepr was named Komerade Bikeski and my GoldWing is named Mr. Honda (Soichiro if you want to be really informal but most of us just call it Mr.H) because I read about the life of the founder of the largest motor vehicle manufacturer in the world while I was putting it together.

For some reason, though, I had never given the 650 a real name. It was always "the GX650EI" (because it started life as a CX650E but has been slowly turning into a GL650I) or just "the 650". I hadn't even decided if it is a "he" or a "she". so I asked the CURDs for suggestions. A few trickled in but none caught my interest until someone suggested "Spike" as in Spike the Bike. That got me thinking about Spike Millligan (as it would any Goon Show fan) and the wonderfully insane characters he played on The Goon Show.

For those whose educations have been incomplete until now, The Goon Show was a BBC radio show in the '50s GoonShowRadio Eccles (one of my favourite characters) has been described as "the nearest thing I had seen to a human being without actually being one". He usually appears in the company of his friend Bluebottle

The more I thought about it the more similarities I found between this mechine and Eccles. It is, after all, the nearest thing you have seen to a GL650I without actually being one.

And then there's this:
    GREENSLADE (announcer): Meanwhile, unknown to Seagoon, a different expedition has already reached the forest of Ying-Tong-Iddle-I-Po, collecting moss for the BBC. At this very moment indeed, its members are bedding down in their tents under the jungle moon.

MINNIE BANNISTER: Oh dear, yim-bom-biddle-oh, melodies divine. Have you tucked the ends of the sheets in, Henry?

HENRY CRUN: Yes, yes Min, yes.

MINNIE: Oh dear. Have you put the hot water bottle in?

HENRY: Yes.

MINNIE: Good, good good...

HENRY: Oh Min!

MINNIE: ...It's very hot tonight, I think I'll have a cold water bottle.

HENRY: Here, we will have to get these tents redecorated.

MINNIE: Why?

HENRY: The wallpaper is peeling.

MINNIE: Oh dear, I'll get a new roll from London, Henry.

HENRY: Good, good, good.

MINNIE: Yes, it is good.

HENRY: Did you put the tiger out, Min?

MINNIE: Yes, I did, I, I put the tiger out, Henry.

HENRY: And don't forget to tell the camel driver no milk tomorrow.

FX: Loud dull thuds, continue under following conversation:

MINNIE: Ohhhhhhhheeoh. What, what's that? What's that? Ohhh.

HENRY: It's all right Min, it's just those noisy people in the tent upstairs. (calls) Who's that walking about upstairs?

ECCLES: (off) I'm the famous Eccles! I got friends in.

HENRY: He's the famous Eccles and he's got friends in, Min. (calls) Do you mind taking those noisy boots off?

ECCLES: (off) OK.

FX: Two thuds.

MINNIE: Ahh, that's better.

FX: Thud

MINNIE:
    Ohh, I didn't know he had three legs, Henry.

HENRY: He hasn't, Min, he hasn't, he has a one legged friend. Goodnight Min.

MINNIE: Goodnight, buddy.

FX: Thud.

MINNIE and HENRY: Ohh!

HENRY: He's got two one legged friends!

FX: Thud.

MINNIE: That, or one three legged friend, Henry.

HENRY: Yes. Well goodnight Min.

MINNIE: Goodnight, little mmnnnn naughty Henry. Goodnight little Henry! ... Goodnight.
    Last edited by Sidecar Bob; 10-14-2014 at 11:09 PM. Reason: spelling
    OCR likes this.

CLICK HERE FOR CX WIKI

The summer of 2008 was not for the faint of heart. At 24 years old and over 46,000 Km it was time for the engine to get a good going over and I wanted to do another few small projects. By the time I was done I had spent more that year than I did the year I put Eccles together. The list includes

- replace all seals, gaskets &c, camchain & guides, mechanical seal, GL1100 stator, all new hoses, thermostat, rad cap, block heater
    - coolant recovery tank relocated to side of sidecar where I can get at it and see it without kneeling
    - Harley mufflers
    - Randakk carb kit
    - new instrument panel
    - new battery cables, choke cable, tach cable, clutch cable, throttle cable
    - new tires
    - sidecar suspension modified to accept longer (more standard) shock, new bearings, zerk added
    - sidecar frame drilled & tapped for 1/8" NPT plug, filled with used motor oil

It was also the summer of Gene & Don's Amazing Sidecar Adventure. For those who don't remember, Don flew from Oz to Gene's place and they got into & onto Gene's ST1100/Hannigan outfit and headed across America to the west coast, up to Alaska, and then east across Canada until they had to turn south in time to get to the Amish, stopping to visit friends along the way. When they arrived here in early August I tried to let them test drive Eccles but we couldn't get it to idle below 2K RPM (it turned out the accelerator pump rod was stuck and keeping the throttle from returning to the stop).

The day after they left I took these pics. Can you tell which gasket was leaking?
    Name:  9 Aug 08.JPG
Views: 606
Size:  122.1 KB
    Name:  behind the rad.JPG
Views: 755
Size:  122.9 KB

I modified the rear drum brake panel & brake cam to accept an o-ring on the inboard end and added a zerk fitting to the panel so that I can grease the cam's shaft where it passes through the plate without getting grease inside the brake and without taking the wheel off. This has been an ongoing problem over the years. The original design has no seal on the inside and a felt "dust seal" on the outside. If the felt is oiled periodically the oil, theoretically, will be carried along the bore by spiral grooves cut into the shaft. I would have to oil it daily in winter for it to do any good, so for as long as I can remember I have disassembled the brake, cleaned everything up and lubed it with silicone brake grease every time the wheel was off. I tried replacing the felt with an o-ring, but salt water still gets past and is drawn into the bore by those spiral grooves.

The original speedometer had started making noise when it got cold out (not a good thing for a winter machine) so after shopping around and not finding anything suitable for anywhere near what I was willing to spend so I headed to Cycle Salvage and got a speedo & tach from a mid '80s Shadow & a Magna (I can't remember which is from which, but they match). I ordered a new temp gauge & voltmeter from Princess Auto and I had a 30A ammeter. I built a support for the gauges & the ignition keyswitch (it interferes with the new panel when mounted to the fork bridge) from steel strap and cut a face plate from 1/8" white HDPE sheet. I chose to use white because when the LEDs (water clear, 5mm flat top wide dispersion) are pressed into holes in it they look like little dots when off, but when they are on the light diffuses through the surrounding panel and makes them appear much larger.
    Name:  New Dash.JPG
Views: 596
Size:  30.1 KB
    Name:  New dash CX650E 2008.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  87.6 KB
    CXPHREAK likes this.

CLICK HERE FOR CX WIKI

Bulletin: Note that this entry is out of order. Instead of 2008 it concerns today, October 23 2014

As most of you know, I have been recovering from rotator cuff surgery for the past 3 months. Before my surgery I left the sidecar cover with D&M Upholstery in Pefferlaw, Ontario to be repaired and have new side windows put in (they get brittle after a few years). I have been back on the bike again for a couple of days and will be going back to work on Monday so I wanted to pick up the cover today. When I called Danny to make sure he would be there he told me it was lost in the fire yesterday
    Fire at Pefferlaw restaurant - Video | The Loop

Danny's shop was in the basement of the River Garden Restaurant in the former Johnston's Marina building on the north side of Hwy 48 and the east bank of the Pefferlaw River (just east of Pefferlaw Rd). The building was built into the slope of the riverbank so that the basement had a ground level entrance so that he could work on boats tied up just a few feet from the shop. Danny kept his own boat tied up just past the left side of the pic below.

The building burned right to the ground. The wall you see below the white smoke is about 10 feet from where the outside wall was.

Danny said he lost everything and it will be at least a month before he is able to open up again but he will make me a new cover then.

I was thinking I would have to carry a tarp and some bungees until then but this could take a while so maybe I will put the old windshield & cover on until then. I haven't decided yet.

I am also thinking that if he has to replace the whole cover this would be a good time to make any changes I want to do.

CLICK HERE FOR CX WIKI

OCR
    Well, that just sucks the big one! :eek:
    Past Master, Dryden Lodge #472
    Caroline Lodge # 681
    RAM Fidelity # 77

'79CX500C

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page

we are all given sh*t in life, but some of us learn to turn it into fertilizer and grow from it, and some us try to fling it on others like monkeys.

The video of the fire in the link above no longer works. Here is one that does

I put the original windshield & cover back on for now. I had forgotten just how ratty it was but I guess it will have to do for now. At least it keeps my lunch dry on the way to work.
    Name:  Eccles - old cover & windshield Oct 2014.JPG
Views: 627
Size:  78.2 KB

I have been recovering from rotator cuff surgery for the last 3 months. I went back to work this week, 6 hours per day, and came home completely exhausted every day. The cold, wet weather didn't help either. I promise I will get this thread back on track and return to 2008 again in the next week or so.

CLICK HERE FOR CX WIKI

Bob,
    Empathy is not nearly wordy enough to describe such trials. Makes me hurt just reading it.

However, I do have a great deal of respect and admiration for you and your resilience. And I also am curious what Murrayf does NOT know. If all our bucket lists could be so short.

Anyway, this write up is something that could be a very nice piece in the new Wiki, if placed in a diorama type thread. Just a thought.

Joel in the Couve
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 62
    No more stable, no more ride for me.

Gloria's Story including PartII> I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands. Part III included at the end of the link.

Forum Settings that everyone should make

Photo and Video posting Tips

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's
    with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

Back to 2008. Here are a few pics I took while working on the engine

How to tell if the camchain needs to be replaced
    Name:  camchain.JPG
Views: 547
Size:  68.2 KB
    Here's the old camchain (top) and the new one (bottom). The pins are in line on the left and only half a pin out on the right - not much difference.
    Name:  camchains .JPG
Views: 538
Size:  127.7 KB
    Comparison of Emgo and Honda filters
    Name:  Air Filters.JPG
Views: 546
Size:  118.0 KB

Name:  Oil Filters.JPG
Views: 557
Size:  120.1 KB

CLICK HERE FOR CX WIKI

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links