The passion for my CX500 - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree189Likes

Thread: The passion for my CX500

Volendam, the Netherlands (20 km from Amsterdam).
    You'd need another bike then. One to customise and the other for inspection

Sent with Tapatalk
    Motomicah likes this.
    1985 CX500 customized Custom

Your enthusiasm is remarkable, as is your desire. Your bike is a treasure in your part of the world. I would feel bad altering it from stock format. It is beautiful, and should remain so. My opinion.

And who can't love this love......seriously.....

Joel in the Couve
    Last edited by ramprat06; 11-14-2014 at 01:17 AM.
    OCR, Davo1962, spacetiger and 1 others like this.
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 62
    No more stable, no more ride for me.

Gloria's Story including PartII> I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands. Part III included at the end of the link.

Forum Settings that everyone should make

Photo and Video posting Tips

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's
    with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

Agree.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome! Enjoyed your post.
    On the road, enjoying life.

Thanks for the support and thanks for the compliments about the bike - it appreciates them

Now for some updates:
    As I mentioned before I have already removed some parts(front panel, seat, taillight+fender, inner fender, indicators) of the bike and started imaging the new look for my bike.
    By now my imagination is most similar to mr. Mucci bike. So to make things easier I took his bike drawing, added my previously drawn seat and started manipulating with colors.
    And this is the result I got:
    Name:  dizza.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  1,003.4 KB
    So many great color schemes that now I can't decide which is the best for me (the second from the top left is how my bike would look with just few parts painted black)
    I somehow like the idea of red frame, but ahhh it's hard to know how would it look in real life.. Than I thought - ok, no dillemmas about the color for now until the bike has taken it's new shape, couse for now I am not sure what will be the end look of this bike therefore the color theme has to be the right one to suit the bikes final look.
    Last edited by pluto; 11-18-2014 at 10:10 AM.
    Motomicah and Volaussie like this.
    cx500 1981
    BUILD THREAD: The passion for my CX500

I like the idea of the red frame too. I was actually wondering the other day what it would look like and I think it could be nice when done properly. They all look great though! I kind of like the blue.....and the green....and all of them lol. I know what you mean by how hard it is to choose a color. I have the solution for you though.....buy 20 bikes and paint them all the different colors
    Volaussie likes this.

• 1980 Honda CX500C
    "As I lay rubber down the street, I ask for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, I pray that nothing happens to my sweet ride"

Quote Originally Posted by Motomicah View Post
    buy 20 bikes and paint them all the different colors
    I have been thinking about that not just only to paint the bikes in many combinations, but also that there are many ways and designs to build these bikes, and in some way that is also a tough decision.
    Motomicah likes this.
    cx500 1981

There are some things I have started doing on the bike. Let me start about the small ones:
    The first thing I done is that I looked at the removed parts and searched for thous I can still use in this project without altering or modifying them. The first thing I saw were the speedo and tacho. Removed them from the whole panel and started thinking how to make them look "cool" on the naked front.
    I started by finding some sort of shell for them, couse I don't want them to be "naked" + the old plastic isn't that tough to deal with the shocks on its own. So just to see how would they both look on the front I put them in a candy tins which were in perfect diameter, added some quick mounts and voila, this is what I got
    Name:  speedo4.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  261.8 KB

Don't worry, thous candy-tin protective cases were just to see how would these original o'meters look and fit.
    Seeing how they fit, I thought it's not a bad idea to use them + it will be a nice touch for my "budget". First of all I search on the net for some adequate protective cases to put them in, but no luck. I can't believe no one has mass produced some kind of cases for these speedos, tachos. Well than the next thing to do is to build a pair on my own. At the beginning I thought to make them from metal tube, but later I change my mind because metal case would probably be heavy(okey, the truth is at the time I didn't had the angle grinder and didn't know how to use it aaaaaaand I was afraid of it ). So my next thought was that I wan't them to be lightweight a.k.a. plastic. I took the speedo with me and headed to the local work shop. I started by checking some plastic tubes but there were none to be in the needed diameter. I even tried to fit the speedo in some random furniture I found on the way. And you know what - the one thing I could never think of using that way was a perfect fit - it was a toilet brush holder It looked something like this and were sold without the brush for 5eu or 7$:
    Name:  toilet-brush-holder-big.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  29.1 KB
    + with a nice "chrome" touch

I cut it in the right lenght, drilled some holes and made the mount(the cases were made a while back but the mounts were yesterday, so now I am no longer afraid of the angle grinder ;D)
    Name:  speedo3.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  245.7 KB
    The mount is from 3mm metal sheet and has as shocked look on it .

These are all the parts I use:
    Name:  IMGP9346.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  237.9 KB
    I also used the original seals.

This is how it looks assembled:
    Name:  speedo2.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  210.9 KB

Fitted thous shocked mounts:
    Name:  IMGP9335.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  260.2 KB

And this is how the speedo and tacho sits on the naked front:
    Name:  speedo1.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  527.6 KB

Buuuuuuut it doesn't end here, couse I will be rebuilding the mounts. I decided to make them as a one peace, not two separate. It will be a lot sturdier and make the o'meters sit simmetrically.
    Regardless that I think they will look great to the whole appearance and is a great outcome
    cx500 1981

Looks fantastic! Great thinking with the toilet brush holder lol, you use what you can and sometimes it all just works perfectly
    One tip I would say is to make the gauge mount out of thicker material. Even though you will be making both of them into one unit, you'd be surprised at how much flex you can get from it.

• 1980 Honda CX500C
    "As I lay rubber down the street, I ask for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, I pray that nothing happens to my sweet ride"

Quote Originally Posted by Motomicah View Post
    One tip I would say is to make the gauge mount out of thicker material. Even though you will be making both of them into one unit, you'd be surprised at how much flex you can get from it.
    Thanks for the tip, i'll see what I can find
    cx500 1981

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links