'82 CX500 Eurosport build - Page 2
Close
††††
††††
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: '82 CX500 Eurosport build

Yeah, had real fun removing the Prolink. In the end I had to attach a 4 ft. steel pipe to an old wrench I had just so I could apply enough torque to loosen the bolt just to discover the unit had to be replaced anyway... Oh well, I guess that's how it goes with 30+ year old bikes

I figured as much with the steering head bearings, I will add them to my shoppinglist. Since really nothing actually moved really smooth on the bike before I started taking it apart, I'm now considering more bearing will need replacing. Both front and rear wheels had a bit of resistance when turning. For the rear wheel I can imagine, since that's attached to the drive shaft, but at least the front wheel should turn smoothly right? I'll give CMSNL a call to see if they have the right bearings since they're located here in Holland (CX500 Euro isn't listed on their website, closest thing I think would be the CX650E-D. can anyone confirm they use the same steering head bearings?). Otherwise I'll probably end up buying them from either Pattern Parts or WeMoto.
    1982 CX500E Sport - first bike, first project... ever...

"My advise to anyone building a bike, donít take no for an answer." - Jeff Tower, Twinline Motorcycles

my blog: cgme.nl

Head bearings -500 and 650 Euro - the same.

Wheel bearings - remove wheel and replace axle, support axle and give wheel a gentle spin.
    It should rotate slow, smooth and eventually stop gradually.
    If it`s notchy, grabs spindle or stops suddenly the bearings are shot.
    For the low price of them, replace anyway...
    Honda

I might as well indeed. Cheers for the info on the steering head bearings. Would you happen to know whether any wheel bearings would be compatible with the CX500 Euro?

"My advise to anyone building a bike, donít take no for an answer." - Jeff Tower, Twinline Motorcycles

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

I've decided that the wiring harness I pulled from my bike the other day should stay intact, since that's the one I have which I know for certain is working properly. I dug up the spare one I got with the bike and got busy stripping most of the tape that holds the wires together so I have a clear view which colour wire goes where. I also finished redrawing the wiring diagram that can be found in the Haynes manual in coluour, so I can send it off to a printer to make some A0 sized copies for personal use without the need for a magnifying glass

I think I'll mount the wiring harness to a board making it easier to work on (and move it around!) and have a better overview.

An overview of the current harness:

Some details:

Wires still attached to the engine:

• 3-pin connector to the alternator (3 yellow wires)
    • 4-pin connector to the pulse generator (2x yellow, 2x blue)
    • bullet connector for the neutral switch (lightgreen/red)

• bullet connector for the oil pressure switch (blue/red)
    • bullet connector for the thermo unit (blue/green)

Next will be removing the steering head (any hints which size wrench I need for the top bolt), drive shaft and hopefully separate the engine from the frame by the end of this week. When the frame is empty I'll probably take it to the local Honda dealership and have them loosen the locknut for the swingarm for me.
    OCR likes this.

Got a few things done today. First off, I removed the steering head:

The upper bearing balls:

And the lower bearing balls:

I guess this is the other half of the bearing still stuck in the frame? Any ideas how to remove this? Are they supposed to come apart when you loosen the top bolt on the steering head?Same goes for the lower bearing too, by the way. When I pushed the steering stem down the frame most of the bearing balls came falling out so I had to go find them on my shed floor...

Next up was removing the drive shaft assembly (not sure about the correct English term) and the drive shaft itself. On this picture the upper right one was taken from the bike today, the other one is the spare I got with the bike. Which one looks better?

Finally, I decided to seperate the frame from the engine:

Alltough I initially didn't feel like taking the bike apart this far, but seeing the bare frame now, I have no regrets doing it. Seems this frame could benefit from some sandblasting and fresh powdercoat since there's quite a bit of rust on it.

Tomorrow I'll see if my local Honda dealer has time to loosen the locknut holding the swingarm so I can remove that as well. Then I guess it's time to start searching for a place nearby to have it all sandblasted.

Take a long screwdriver and striking instrument and whack 'em out!

Then order the proper All Balls bearing kit. There should also be wheel bearing available from them.

Since you'll be going to taper roller bearings, you be replacing everything anyway. You'll have to press in the new races, lower bearing. You can go fancy and take it all to a bicycle shop (they'll look at you funny, but it's the best way to get it in/on straight...or take your striking instrument and a firm but pliable material and just bash 'em in (I and many others have used this method. You just make sure the races seat against the machined ridge in the head tube).
    My WIP: 78 CX500, code name..."Terry Tracafe", confused motorbike...
    2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT. No name, not sure if I want to get attached...

Thanks Farmer John,

I did already think it was a matter of applying enough 'persuasion' but it's always best to ask before you start whacking the crap out of stuff

My striking instrument, an old bicycle seat stem I used instead of a screwdriver, and the removed parts of the bearing.

Also phoned the local Honda dealer who told me to come by with the frame tomorrow and they'll what they can do for me. Next will be to get the rust off the frame and swing arm.

With the help of the local Honda dealer I finally got the swingarm removed. The bearings and dust seals I took out actually looked pretty good and run smoothly. Were the original swingarm bearings already tapered ones, or would these be aftermarket ones already replaced by the PO?

One thing I noticed by the way; is it just me or are the (original) monoshock mounts off-center?

Oh, and are the exhaust header pipes interchangeable for all CX types? Mine are in pretty rough shape with plenty of rust and was thinking of replacing them with these: Set (2) Honda CX500 Exhaust Pipes - CafeRacerWebshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cgme View Post
    One thing I noticed by the way; is it just me or are the (original) monoshock mounts off-center?
    Yes. Otherwise, you couldn't insert the bolt.

R
    Spring Ride 2017 is in the works: Spring Ride 2017 - Planning thread
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1978 CX500 Standard - The Grub

1981 GL500 Basket case -> AdventureWing (Dual-sport conversion in progress) - Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3

1979 CX500 Deluxe rolling chassis -> Hmm?

Cheers for clearing that up Randall!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links