'82 CX500 Eurosport build - Page 3
Close
††††
††††
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: '82 CX500 Eurosport build

Well, I've crossed the point of no return now and chopped off a good portion of the frame

Next up is getting some steel tube and recreate a shorter subframe.
    OCR and flyinelvis like this.
    1982 CX500E Sport - first bike, first project... ever...

"My advise to anyone building a bike, donít take no for an answer." - Jeff Tower, Twinline Motorcycles

my blog: cgme.nl

Today I finally received my frame hoop and some other misc. tubes so I could start to mock up the subframe. I made some smaller tubes fit into the 1" frame tubes so I could slide the hoop right on.

The length from tank to furthest point of the hoop currently measures about 22.5" which I'm thinking of shortening even further by about 1.5" or 2" but I'm not sure yet. Most builds I like tend to like have really short seats but if I go too short I'm thinking the rear wheel would be somewhat looking like it's sticking out... more to follow!
    OCR and Motomicah like this.

"My advise to anyone building a bike, donít take no for an answer." - Jeff Tower, Twinline Motorcycles

Good work so far! You're a little further along than I am, I plan to something very similar. Do you plan on any kind of angled piece coming up to support the seat hoop?

Looks like the euro cx frame is pretty much the same as the gl frame on this side of the pond.

Keep it up!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

As far as I know the GL and Euro frames are identical. I plan to have a reinforcement coming from the pressed steel sides around the height of the monoshock mount to about halfway the length of the seat.

This morning I managed to spend some time on the bike again.

The mock-up:

Right side done:

Both sides done:

It even looks symmetrycal!

Had to temporarily add the swingarm to the bike to judge where the rear wheel would be and how much I could take off the hoop without making it look weird. Don't judge the quality of the welds by the way; this was the first time I've welded in my life so I'm already glad everything stays in it's place! I'm going to have the frame professionally welded by someone who actually knows what he's doing, so basically this is just a mockup. Don't want to have the thing break off the first bump this bike meets.
    Last edited by Cgme; 06-14-2015 at 01:32 PM.
    Motomicah, OCR, flyinelvis and 1 others like this.

So, it's been a while since I've had the time or budget to do something on my bike. I've been looking around for quite some time now what to do with the forks.
    Ideally I'd want clipons, but then I'm stuck with those ugly steering mounts on the top yoke being empty.
    If I decide to use the original steering mounts on the other hand, I'm probably going to be limited in my choice what handlebars to use because of the air valves on top of my fork legs.
    USD forks would be awesome, but way out of my budget...

Hmm... I've now found some CBR1000F forks. They are right-side-up, so they are visually not that very different from the original forks with 41mm instead of my 37mm (makes people look twice, instead of the obvious USD forks ), they actually have the same bearing sizes according to this source, and I've read somewhere that the stem length is also compatible with my CX but I've lost the source for that one.

Ideally I'd like to use the original front wheel though, I don't like the front and rear wheel to have different designs. Besides, I actually like the comstars design the Eurosports have. According to the source I linked before, my CX has a 15mm front axle, the CBR1000F has a 20mm front axle. According to this other source, the center distance between fork legs on my CX is 192mm with 60 mm mounting diameter, on the CBR1000F it's 195/62mm, which would mean the distance between fork legs is 1mm wider on the CBR as well. Any suggestions what my options would be to make the Eurosport comstar fit the CRB1000F fork?

1. Look into bearings with the same OD as the Euro wheel and the same ID as the CBR axle.
    2. Then you need new spacers made for the axle between the wheel and fork legs.
    3. And lastly, you need to know the diameter of the rotors and the offset so they work with the callipers, which means you may need to make adapters for rotors to bolt onto the rims and still fit in-between the caliper.

If you don't have a Lathe of your own, count on spending at least $200-$300......assuming you measured properly and won't need second pieces made because things are off by 5mm
    Cgme likes this.
    1983 CX650E will restore

1981 CX500 Custome Cafe Brat thingy

1979 CX500 Deluxe (currently being Cafe'd/Brat)

1973 CB750 K3 (need to restore)

Thank you for your reply Kameron, after that I did some more research. I did find wheel bearings with the right outer diameter for my CX and the right inner diameter for the CBR axle. I couldn't find any info on brake disc offset though.

I did discover something else though; I'm now looking at VF1000F front-end which:
    • shares the same head bearings as my Eurosport
    • has a clean top clamp intended for clipon use (no handlebar mounts)
    • has 41 mm air adjustable forks, 3-way adjustable rebound damping and Anti-dive Control
    • has the same front axle diameter of 15mm
    • has the same brake disc diameter of 276mm
    • has dual brakes, just a my Eurosport
    • has the same spacing between brake discs of 130mm, so *probably* no adapters or spacers needed there

It even has a similar comstar design front wheel, though with on 16" I'm really looking towards keeping my original Eurosport wheel.

One thing I need to look into is the fact that the VF1000F has straight discs, no offset, whereas the Eurosport has 26mm. However, the space between the discs seems to be the same, so I'm currently assuming the hub of the wheel must be a bit narrower so I probably have to get some spacers made to fill up between the hub and forks legs. I'll find out as soon as I order the VF front-end
    Last edited by Cgme; 12-10-2015 at 02:40 PM.

A little update on my front-end conversion:

It seems I have made a slight error in my list of arguements why the VF1000F forks should work; measured the distance between the front discs again and it turns out to be 134mm on the Eurosport wheel... bugger... The good news is that the VF1000F successor, the F2, also comes with the Boomerang comstars, but now 18" instead of the 16" which it's predecessor had.

Even better news is that I managed to find a complete VF1000F2 front-end (forks, triples, calipers, discs and wheel) for next to free, just over an hours drive from my home

Name:  479508108271515.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  51.3 KB
    glrider and OCR like this.

more goodies coming in soon™: I just ordered this '05 CBR1000RR rear shock:

Name:  achterveer_52040d364e25a.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  27.8 KB

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links