'82 CX500 Eurosport build
Close
††††
††††
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: '82 CX500 Eurosport build

'82 CX500 Eurosport build

I've been lurking this website for about 2 years now, with some occassional posts from time to time. I bought my CX500 Eurosport just after I joined this forum; the PO said it wasn't starting anymore after taking apart the throttle on the handlebar for lubrication and since I really know nothing about motorcycles or working on them I figured to ask here first.

The bike as I bought it:

Advice was unanimous; buy it! The price was really low and it even came with a lot of spare parts:
    • spare engine
    • spare drive shaft
    • spare drive shaft gear assembly
    • spare set of front disc brakes
    • spare set of brake calipers
    • spare wiring harness
    • spare engine mounting brackets

That really was the start of my great journey. I know nothing about bikes, I don't have my license, I've never ridden one and I'm not particularly handy, but at least I have determination. And a hobby now! Shortly after I picked up the bike I managed to get it running after being advised to have a look at the wiring on in the right handlebar controls assembly. I bypassed the killswitch and it ran at the first touch of the start button. Succes! Since then the bike had stood still in my shed for over a year. I read a lot, got inspired a lot, and got really busy at work and being a new dad so I really didn't have any time to start on it. Until recently that is, and I've finally started stripping her down.

While doing that, I found a number of issues that would need attention, as it became clear that time (and dirt) had done it's work on some parts:

The tank had been rubbing the paint off the frame.

I guess a seal needs to be replaced here.

Some rust on the lower tree.

Rust ate through the end of the header pipes.

Some rust on the engine mounts.
    1982 CX500E Sport - first bike, first project... ever...

"My advise to anyone building a bike, donít take no for an answer." - Jeff Tower, Twinline Motorcycles

my blog: cgme.nl

I'm not really what to categorise the look I'm after for this build, but I decided that the original tank had to go; it was too hard-edged for my taste and it had these little indents where originally the saddle would rest against it.

Knowing that hacking up a Eurosport by a complete noob would be sacriledge in some parts of this planet, I decided that modifying the original tank was out of the question. If I'm not using it, someone else would be better off having it, so I started looking for an alternative tank and found that the GL500/650 share the same double backbone frame. I got one cheap and did a quick mockup:

After removing the battery and airbox I noticed a few more items on this bike were in desperate need of some TLC:

"My advise to anyone building a bike, donít take no for an answer." - Jeff Tower, Twinline Motorcycles

Ok, so the rear shock needed replacement. It sounded like a challenge, so I got busy and quickly found a revised unit via the Dutch CX-forum.

The rear wheel was removed:

After which I found out the axle was completely dry, not a speck of grease on it... guess that's not how it's supposed to be?

And I started removing the Pro-Link assembly:

The unit was completely stuck and it took me three nights to take it out, only to find out the linkage was completely seized. It wouldn't move. At all. Even after applying some brute force on it...

Well, at least it moves now...

So I had to find me a new linkage. Luckily again someone from the Dutch CX-forum could help me out, just waiting for shipping. I've also seen some rust on the swingarm (superficial I hope) so that has to come out as well. The next challenge would be:

On which CXPHREAK and Sidecar Bob already have advised:
    Quote Originally Posted by CXPHREAK View Post
    The outer special nut will be the locknut. Crack that and undo the allen bolt/spindle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidecar Bob View Post
    So I found this tool on ebay, which I'm contemplating on buying. Anyone have any experience with this particular one?

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

The only problem with that socket is that it will get the nut off, but you'll have difficulty tightening it to spec on reassembly. You need be able to hold the swing arm pin while turning the lock nut.

I bought one a year or two ago from an eBay seller in Florida (I think) that resembles the Honda tool. The part that engages the nut is an open tube, with the ratchet handle junction offset about two inches to the side. The specified torque value accounts for the increase in lever arm length.

R

P.S. I don't know if this is the correct one, but it looks a bit like this.
    Honda Tool Part No 07908 4690003 Swing Arm Socket Swinging Arm Swingarm | eBay

Last edited by Randall-in-Mpls; 05-04-2015 at 10:14 AM.
    10th Annual Minnesota Spring Ride and Barbecue - Saturday, May 13, 2017
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1978 CX500 Standard - The Grub

1981 GL500 Basket case -> AdventureWing (Dual-sport conversion in progress) - Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3

1979 CX500 Deluxe rolling chassis -> Hmm?

Cgme,
    You've got quite a project there. Mine is coming slowly, see '650 euro build' on this site. What type of changes are you going to make? As you can see I've chopped the subframe and I'm going to make a shorter seat. I'm keeping the stock tank I just raised the back mount by 1.5" I found that Tarozzi makes rear set pegs and controls specifically for your bike.
    1983 CX650E the new baby
    2009 Buell Firebolt 1200 Gone now ,sadly.
    New this month 2003 Triumph sprint ST 955i.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall-in-Mpls View Post
    The only problem with that sock is that it will get the nut off, but you'll have difficulty tightening it to spec on reassembly. You need be able to hold the swing arm pin while turning the lock nut.

I bought one a year or two ago from an eBay seller in Florida (I think) that resembles the Honda tool. The part that engages the nut is an open tube, with the ratchet handle junction offset about two inches to the side. The specified torque value accounts for the increase in lever arm length.

R

P.S. I don't know if this is the correct one, but it looks a bit like this.
    Honda Tool Part No 07908 4690003 Swing Arm Socket Swinging Arm Swingarm | eBay
    Thanks for the heads-up Randall! Perhaps someone on the forum knows if that one's correct, or otherwise the original Honda tool part number I need for the CX500 Euro?

Quote Originally Posted by redonblackpete View Post
    Cgme,
    You've got quite a project there. Mine is coming slowly, see '650 euro build' on this site. What type of changes are you going to make? As you can see I've chopped the subframe and I'm going to make a shorter seat. I'm keeping the stock tank I just raised the back mount by 1.5" I found that Tarozzi makes rear set pegs and controls specifically for your bike.
    Yeah, I saw your comments on my blog and started following your thread In case people are curious about the rearset he's referring to, see this (my) blog post. I happened to stumble upon them while googling for neat items.

Ok, so here's the list of changes I'm thinking of:

• Obviously switched the tank for a GL tank; I really like the contrast of the modern look of twin front discs and the monoshock against the more classic look of the GL tank. It's also lower, and a bit wider (which actually might cause issues with handlebar clearing, but we'll see when it comes to that).
    • Clubman handlebars. Initially I was thinking of going for clipons, but since the top clamp is cast with the handlebar risers, it would seem silly to leave them empty, and too much hassle to get rid of them. So clubman bars it is.
    • Braided brake line upgrades
    • Smaller handlebar controls
    • New wiring with smaller modern connectors, instead of the bulky 80's ones, and braided cable sleeves. Have to look at the wiring anyway since some of the electrics will be relocated.
    • Rearsets (if budget allows for them )
    • Classic style round headlight, but with integrated LED "halo-style" daylight driving light
    • Classic style speedo/tacho combined unit, thinking along the lines of this:
      Name:  a040d8039224414d13439ceddcf0838a_a1de44bd-988b-468d-b1d6-ca60b64ac948_grande.jpeg
Views: 1573
Size:  74.3 KB
    • The subframe has to be modified (chopped) too. Want a shorter seat, with a little kick-up. For the subframe itself I'm looking towards the lines of the bike in this thread. The seat itself should be more along these lines:
      Name:  DSC01830.JPG
Views: 1733
Size:  108.6 KB
      Name:  urban-rider-4-625x625.jpg
Views: 1498
Size:  53.2 KB

As you can see, that's quite a list for someone with no experience like myself, but that's what a hobby is for, right? This build will be nowhere near as fast as some people on this forum, but I hope to be able to start riding it early next year.
    OCR likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall-in-Mpls View Post
    looks like a bicycle freewheel tool...

Name:  7026.jpg
Views: 1554
Size:  65.8 KB
    My WIP: 78 CX500, code name..."Terry Tracafe", confused motorbike...
    2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT. No name, not sure if I want to get attached...

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer_John View Post
    looks like a bicycle freewheel tool...
    Quite a bit, but you'd need a claw-foot socket to attach the torque wrench.

R
    10th Annual Minnesota Spring Ride and Barbecue - Saturday, May 13, 2017
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1978 CX500 Standard - The Grub

1981 GL500 Basket case -> AdventureWing (Dual-sport conversion in progress) - Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3

1979 CX500 Deluxe rolling chassis -> Hmm?

Today I've removed my wiring harness in preparation to have an empty frame. Turned out this was a pretty straight forward job. I removed all the electronics, handlebar switches, fuse box, and reconnected everything straight afterwards. I'm looking towards redoing the whole wiring, with new cables, some nice sleeving and modern, IP67 sealed connectors instead of the old bulky 80's connectors.

I also wanted to show you guys this:

I'm not really sure if it is visible on the video, but there's actually quite a lot of resistance when turning. What could cause this? Lack of lubrication? Faulty bearings?

The resistance is visible in the vid and it`s not good - the steering head bearings are shot..

They`ll probably be the original ball-and-cup type, dry, rusted, pitted and corroded.

Reepalce with a set of taper roller head bearings.

I see you`ve already had fun with the Prolink, they can be a real pain after years of neglect can`t they?
    Honda

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links