78 CX500 Build - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: 78 CX500 Build

yup that is about right the kits comes with the all balls bearings and seals installed so the price overall is very good
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

GET A QUICKSET VALVE TOOL

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

Well we're almost to the point to start actually building this thing. Just ordered a few more bits today. New keyed cap and matching switch off a gsxr as well as a new top clamp. Ours was kind of crappy as well as a cbr600rr shock for the mono rear conversion. I did end up buying a ignitech unit from the group by here so thanks for that!!! Suggestions on maintenance to do to the rear shock once we get it?

Oh and a shout to to Cheap Thrills Motorsports out of Chanhassen, MN. They've hooked me up on several things so far at pretty descent prices and they are in MN so that's nice for me in case I need to run down there. Again thanks a lot to these guys. Great people to work with. You can find them on ebay or just look them up!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Got the front end on today. Of course it will be ripped off when it comes time to paint etc. We used the stock stem and didn't have a problem. Used one less spacer that came with the kit. We definitely couldn't double nut it though. A longer stem probably would be the way to go to be safe.

The wheel is just kind of sitting on there at the moment. Need to make wheel spacers and rotor spacers to get the thing centered. Time will tell if we have clearance issued with the calipers. If we do, does anyone know how much I can shave off the back of them if any? They are calipers from a 06-07 gsxr 750.
    flyinelvis and OCR like this.

Just ordered up some more parts yesterday. Got the controls (levers, master cylinder switches etc) for a CBR 600 on the way. Keyed and matched ignition and gas cap for GSXR as well. Also got a donor GSXR tank so we can cut the top out and weld into our CX tank. Wanted to replace the crappy looking cap on this tank. Stealing this idea from Mike on here! Thanks for the inspiration Mike and all the advice thus far. Hopefully ours turns out just as nice as his. Things are moving finally!

get the longer stem use the lock nut

while stealing mikes gas cap idea

get in touch with him a he has had water leaking into the tank through the bowl shape of the sunken cap and had it get into his carbs

also have you played with the spacers for the blackbird rotors?

I will get some pictures of what I have when I get home if I get a chance. Our wheel has been bored out to accept the spacer between the bearings and now I'm waiting on my rotors to be drilled for the proper pattern and my rotor spacers to be made. Time will tell to see if my calipers are going to hit the wheel. I may just cry if that happens. I know it's going to be quite close.
    78 CX 500 (A Work in progress)
    Northern, MN

Just some more photos of crap I'm messing with. Going to be cutting the top of our GSXR tank out soon. Going to be utilizing the breather/water drain system suzuki has. Thanks again mike for sharing your experience to help me avoid your problems.

OEM gsxr clip ons. 32 bucks to the door! like brand new
    Northern, MN

Just got the front wheel put together and on tonight. I still need to put another rotor on it. (we didn't have long enough bolts) So i'll try and mess with that tomorrow. Here's pics of the progress. We had 97-98 1100 bonda black bird rotors drilled to the correct bolt pattern since they have the same hub size as our CX's. 58 mm. Then had spacers machined to 6.9 mm thickness to get the correct spacing for our 06-07 GSXR 600-750 front end. These blackbird rotors happened to be the same diameter as a stock gsxr rotor as well. Everything seems to be going along just fine so far. Just need to get the outside spacers done for the wheel and that will be complete!

Also got the back end chopped tonight. It will be fine tuned and cut a bit more yet but we just wanted to get the chunky crap out of the way.

OCR and marconumero84 like this.
    Northern, MN

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links