78 CX500 Build - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: 78 CX500 Build

Got the other disc put on tonight. Don't give me too much crap about the cheap menards bolts holding them on. it's only temporary so I can see if everything lined up. Have to measure the outside spacers now and get those done.

OCR and fega72 like this.
    78 CX 500 (A Work in progress)
    Northern, MN

Our spacers to center the wheel are now being machined. It's been busy so sorry for the delay. Deer season, laziness, etc. We also got to work on the tank tonight. We cut the top out of both the stock tank the the gsxr tank and will be welding the gsxr top into the cx tank. I'm hoping we can get the existing vent and drain lines to work from the gsxr so we don't have to make new ones. Just shorten them and run them out the bottom of the tank.

OCR, flyinelvis, glrider and 2 others like this.
    Northern, MN

Here is the GSXR cap and vent/drain tubes installed.

flyinelvis, fega72, Solace and 1 others like this.
    Northern, MN

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

The next step will be to get a rolling chassis and we have to get our mono shock set up in the back to accomplish that. It's been slow going but it's coming along.
    Northern, MN

We've since got our new tires mounted.......continential conti go 120 90 18 for the back and 100 90 19 for the front. We've got a start on the rear shock and should be getting that done this week and tacked together. Anyone that has been looking at this and sees an obvious mistake or has any suggestions at all please feel free to comment. I'm sure we'll make a lot of mistakes along the way but I hope it all turns out in the end.

Northern, MN

I'm guessing as soon as we have our frame work mostly complete I will be tackling the wiring. Any suggestions on that as far as a new fuse panel goes or mistakes you've made that I need to avoid? I started with an incomplete chopped up harness and have acquired a complete one and also purchased a CBR harness. (mainly for the front switch connections).
    Northern, MN

yes I know the front tire is on backwards. apparently the bearings are not exactly center in our wheel for some reason. we put it in one way and our spacers we had machined did not work but we flipped it around and it was perfect.
    Carytowncat and OCR like this.
    Northern, MN

It is coming along nicely!!

Perfectly Designed to Improve Your Performance

1980 CX500RR

Thanks Mike I appreciate it. We got too busy this weekend but next week I'll have a roller. We are just fabricating the steel brackets to hold the top of the rear shock in place. We taught our selves to weld a bit at least enough to tack things in place so we can bring it to a real welder. Any suggestions with the electrical system? I know I've talked to you a bit but are there any upgrades that are a must? I'm assuming it has the original stator in it (low mileage bike I was told) and everything else original. I do have an ignitech for it as of now and will probably replace the coils with smaller ones. I have a CBR wiring harness I'm stealing the plugs off and it does have the fuse panel but it looks to be way overkill for what will be needed.
    Northern, MN

We finally got a roller tonight and decided to bolt on Murray's carbs and the front controls just to see how things will look. It's not perfect by any means but we are happy with the work that's been done so far. We have to do some additional bracing with the rear shock mount just for some more peace of mind. Here's some more pictures.......

MechEngr67, OCR and flyinelvis like this.
    Northern, MN

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links