SteamX500 - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: SteamX500

Interesting work! I'm curious about many things, but could you post more pictures and details about your gas tank? What sort of steampunk are you going for...terrifying, whimsical, both?
    So far I don't see any copper spraypaint or "Put a gear on it!" fol-de-rol, and I hope you keep it that way!
    Have you seen the CX500 build by Oakland sculptor Nemo Gould? (not all of it works well in my sassy opinion, but there are a lot of neat ideas and some excellent fabrication there)
    I look forward to seeing what you do with this!
    GisMofx likes this.
    1981 CX500D project registered WOO HOOOO
    1978 CX500 parts bike

Quote Originally Posted by Corpus Diaboli View Post
    I am building a steampunk inspired chop out of an 80 Custom that I pick up as a parts bike awhile back. I put about 6 hours a month into it, so it is nowhere near as far done as I would like it to be, but I think I am finally making some progress. Here are some pics of what I have so far. As you will see, I fabricate as much as I can myself, and try to use modified stock parts. The gear shift linkage is heavy as sh*t, which is why you will see the bungie cord holding it up. I feel I may need to re-evaluate that area of the build. Any feed back, or thoughts will always be appreciated and ignored.Attachment 23743Attachment 23744

Hard to tell from the photo, but make sure you get some type of bearings in those suspension links(and any other links too. Probably oil-impregnated(oilite) bronze bushing would work great:
    Name:  11037-sintered-bronze-bearing-flanged-bushing-oilite-bushings-metel-sinter-1.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  8.3 KB
    As a plus, the bronze is very "steampunk"
    '78 CX500 - in pieces.
    My Custom Digital Gauge Project

Trundler, I agree about the shifter. It's still in the mock-up-idea stage. As cool as the sprocket and connecting rod looks, the weight gives me some concern. The 1 inch steel bar is also temporary until I find just the right piece to go there.
    Hey! how about wood!
    No kidding-with a bushing inserted for a metal axle, a strong piece of wood can be awfully strong, rigid and light. Also, consider the possibilities of laminations...

Nothing could be more steampunk than varnished wood.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Any and all copper that will be on my bike will be plating, not spray paint. And, yes, the girder links have bronze bushings on them. I was lucky enough to get them as free samples from McMaster. The hard tail struts are a good solid steel flat stock that I am planing on embedding into some teak that I have laying around. My plan is to use wood, copper, and black paint to emulate cast iron. Once all of the geometry of the frame is done I will tear it down, finish the welding/brazing of parts and start plating and painting.
    chaetophile likes this.

Sounds brilliant, sir!
    This may be of use to you in your build. It's real copper foil, with a strong adhesive backing. It is uncoated, and so will tarnish or verdegris unless polished and clearcoated. I wouldn't recommend it on parts that reach high temperatures, as the adhesive will burn away. It is conductive, and so can even be used as a decorative form of wiring. It can be cut into beautiful shapes with scissors before you peel the backing off. It is not particularly cheap, but much cheaper than copperplating.

Your plan to simulate cast iron reminded me of something: Have you ever played with liquid gun bluing?
    It can do fascinating things on bare steel, especially when you also have water present. In contact with small amounts of water, the gun bluing chemical seems to accelerate the rust process. Grab some steel, gun-blue, water, and a small paintbrush. Play around with it. When I was using it, the swirls of blue-black and rust were strangely reminiscent of weathered cast iron.

Rustoleum's hammered black paint can also be useful. If you put a matte clearcoat over it to kill the gloss, it gets very close to cast iron.
    1981 CX500D project registered WOO HOOOO
    1978 CX500 parts bike

Thanks for the tips chaetophile. I'll keep those in mind.

this looks like a cool and interesting build, keep up the good work and good luck.
    2014 Harley Breakout
    76 cb360t (fiance's ride)
    83 GL650
    81 CX500 in progress (also fiance's ride)

Name:  11286593_10205492960077098_2129916436_o.JPG
Views: 361
Size:  411.8 KBName:  11335683_10205492959997096_629579874_n.JPG
Views: 349
Size:  217.9 KBName:  11356283_10205492959957095_340557698_n.JPG
Views: 353
Size:  196.6 KB

Just a few more shots after I half welded the tank on. I brought the bike outside to get better shots. I think I may tackle the seat next.
    OCR likes this.

Does any one have any suggestions on the forward controls? I keep banging my head against the wall on this part. The brake seems rather straight forward, but the shifter has some geometry issues to overcome. Any thoughts would be great.

Does any one have any suggestions on the forward controls? I keep banging my head against the wall on this part. The brake seems rather straight forward, but the shifter has some geometry issues to overcome. Any thoughts would be great.
    Quite right. Because our shift motion is 90 degrees from the horizontal, if your pedal is before the shaft fulcrum, a system of "rube" linkage is about the only way to go. I'm on my 3rd set of footboards (a forward position) and there's a lot of linkage to make it move correctly. Sadly, I have that all apart right now so I can't give you a view, but PM me in a week or so and maybe by then I'll have Humpty back together and can send you some views.
    Bob Witte, The Ghost of The Trinity Trike (Past)

My GL500 trike conversion project thread: http://cx500forum.com/forum/cx-custo...ting-done.html
    Click on this URL to download my free PDF for new Trikers:http://magic-pc.net/HowToRideAMotorcycleTrike.pdf

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links