SteamX500 - Page 6
Close

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: SteamX500

maybe consider something like the Thermobob. I know some of the KLR guys were also doing the cheap knockoff by using the Yamaha Raptor housing since it fits in the middle of a hose

A few pictures of where I had it before I crazily decided to switch frames. Many of these things will be transferred to the final bike, but I am starting with a relatively clean pallet, so who knows.

Name:  DSC_0150.JPG
Views: 192
Size:  71.4 KBName:  DSC_0152.JPG
Views: 191
Size:  67.8 KBName:  DSC_0159.JPG
Views: 190
Size:  68.6 KB
    OCR likes this.

Just thought I would post some crappy pictures of the frame so far. I will have better images once I clean up the metal a little more. Name:  DSC_0253.JPG
Views: 171
Size:  67.3 KBName:  DSC_0254.JPG
Views: 170
Size:  66.6 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

So...I fit the engine last night (pics to come), and I managed to fit the thermostat in place just fine. It does touch the frame, but a little fine and grind on the tubing will ease that. The big issue is that the carbs are hitting the frame. I can notch the frame tubes where they hit, but I am hoping for a more "creative" solution. I am looking at going to one carb off to the side, or making some custom manifolds to position the carbs better in the frame. Any thoughts, and, or, advise would be helpful, and considered.

Without seeing where the carbs hit, it's difficult to suggest solutions, but intakes would probably be the right/easiest way. Murray's intakes may work for you ILO custom making your own.
    Current:
    '81 CX-V Build ('81 CX500 Deluxe)

Previous:
    '78 CX500 Parting Out - STILL PARTS LEFT
    '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

OCR
    You could make a spacer that goes in between the runners and heads.
    Make them with a slight wedge and it will tilt the carbs down a bit allowing for frame clearance.
    Past Master, Dryden Lodge #472
    Caroline Lodge # 681
    RAM Fidelity # 77

'79CX500C

http://www.cx500forum.com/mediawiki

we are all given sh*t in life, but some of us learn to turn it into fertilizer and grow from it, and some us try to fling it on others like monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by OCR View Post
    You could make a spacer that goes in between the runners and heads.
    Make them with a slight wedge and it will tilt the carbs down a bit allowing for frame clearance.
    This may be a silly question, but wouldn't angling the carbs mess with the floats? The angle I would need would be close to 20 degrees downward. I'll post the pics I took last night when I get home. I am looking at making new manifolds that would bring the carbs further apart, or run with a single carb. Single carb set ups can look cool, but balancing the cylinders can get tricky, even with perfectly split runners. I did find last night that the carbs from a CB750 (non-cv style) will fit in the frame. However, they are 29mm, not the 34mm that the CX uses. I would be willing to try the spare 33mm carbs I have kicking around, but I think going down to a 29mm would be too small.

OCR
    Yeah, 28 would be too small and if you were to use a single you would want to go up in size to at least a 40.
    A simple wedge should not cause too much of an issue as long as the change is not more than a degree. [think about it, the bike does go up hills that are quite steep with no problems.]

The other option would be to keep the ends of the adapters parallel and have the tube angled at both ends to allow an offset/drop which will give clearance.
    Caroline Lodge # 681
    RAM Fidelity # 77

'79CX500C

we are all given sh*t in life, but some of us learn to turn it into fertilizer and grow from it, and some us try to fling it on others like monkeys.

Name:  New Frame 007.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  3.82 MBName:  New Frame 008.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  4.45 MB

Sorry that the photos are big, I couldn't find the re-size button on my work computer. You can see where the carbs are hitting, and how far they are from the head. I am working on a single carb manifold right now, but I am not sold on the idea yet.

OCR
    Just the one hitting or both?
    How much clearance is on the other side?
    Caroline Lodge # 681
    RAM Fidelity # 77

'79CX500C

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links