SteamX500 - Page 7
Close

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: SteamX500

They are both hitting. I only included the one side since the other looked the same.

OCR
    I asked because you might have been able to move the motor over a bit for clearance but since both hit that is moot.
    What is the motor sitting on underneath?
    Is there a plate or ears that you might be able to remove since you will have to make mount points anyway?
    Can you move the engine forward at all?
    Past Master, Dryden Lodge #472
    Caroline Lodge # 681
    RAM Fidelity # 77

'79CX500C

http://www.cx500forum.com/mediawiki

we are all given sh*t in life, but some of us learn to turn it into fertilizer and grow from it, and some us try to fling it on others like monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by OCR View Post
    I asked because you might have been able to move the motor over a bit for clearance but since both hit that is moot.
    What is the motor sitting on underneath?
    Is there a plate or ears that you might be able to remove since you will have to make mount points anyway?
    Can you move the engine forward at all?
    I retained the original rear mounts, so movement is really limited. The engine is supported by the rear mounts and the original front sub frame/mount. The closest that the engine gets to the frame below it is about .020 in. That may become an issue later, but I am not sure yet. I could move the engine forward only about .250 inch before the engine starts to hit things. Mostly the radiator. It is a point where I could move stuff around to get the carbs on, but it would result in having to reinvent 5 other things. Or, reinvent the intake area, and leave the rest be.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

A few new ones with the engine in. Still some frame work ahead of me, and then the sheet metal.Name:  DSC_0526.JPG
Views: 167
Size:  4.15 MBName:  DSC_0527.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  4.78 MBName:  DSC_0528.JPG
Views: 165
Size:  3.84 MB

OCR
    Interesting look to the intake manifold, you could use a pancake style filter on it.
    You will of course have to use a different carb, a Mikuni would be best for performance.
    A single carb will require at least 4 sizes large in the jetting and for mid range a slimmer profile slide needle.
    Caroline Lodge # 681
    RAM Fidelity # 77

'79CX500C

we are all given sh*t in life, but some of us learn to turn it into fertilizer and grow from it, and some us try to fling it on others like monkeys.

The carb that is sitting on it right now is from a Suzuki GS500. I have no idea how I came into ownership of the carb bank for a bike I have never owned, but there it is. I just through that on there because I had broken that bank apart already, and didn't want to separate the CX carbs just yet. No need to if I don't use them, eh?

Send me some pics I have built a bunch of single carb intakes

Never mind you are building a art intake not a flow intake
    Last edited by murrayf; 08-30-2016 at 06:10 PM.
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

GET A QUICKSET VALVE TOOL

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

Quote Originally Posted by murrayf View Post
    Send me some pics I have built a bunch of single carb intakes

Never mind you are building a art intake not a flow intake
    I would love to see some of the intakes you have made. The one I have there in the pics was based off of the old English bikes, where they used a U shape to help push the back waves from one cylinder to the other. I couldn't center the carb, so I tried to use bends and angles to equalize flow. I haven't done any math on the design yet, so I am not certain that any of the dimensions are correct at this point. I just needed something to place a carb on the bike so that I could continue with the build, and be sure that I left enough room for the intake. I have two more of those flanges that I used there, so another manifold might be in order to give better breathing. I have also played with the notion of splitting the carbs, and running two with a split cable set up. My worry is that the runner length will shift my power band too drastically, but this build isn't about power and speed. It will pretty much be ridden around town where speed limits will keep my below 50mph. I would like to do some longer rides, given that the lack of suspension doesn't kill me too much, so I should be able to go at least 65mph comfortably. I'll just have to mind my speed around corners, and on the back roads that don't get the pot hole attention that the main roads do.

While we are on the topic of manifolds, I was always under the impression that you wanted both runner lengths to be at least close to equal. However, I have been seeing quite a few that have one very much shorter that the other. Mostly for the Virago. Is my earlier assumption correct, or is there a way to tune the engine for an unequal manifold? I have the thought that adjusting the internal diameter of one to equalize the flow might help, but I fear that that would increase throttling into one cylinder, robbing a little power, and possibly adding some vibration. I'm pretty sure this part of the engine his heavy in fluid mechanics, so I am positive I can calculate it all out, but there is a big difference between calculated data and real life effects.

Here are some new pics of the build so far. The rear fender is modeled after the rear covers of the old steam paddle boats. The tank is modeled after the early American bikes, like the Harley J models. I have seen some leaf spring seats on other builds, and thought that they look cooler than coil spring seats. Also, they aren't as common. I am planning out the seat brackets now. Once I feel that that tank and fender are what I want I will finish welding them, and prep them for paint. The seat cover will have to go as I am no longer going for the "side of the trail fix" look, and opting for a more semi-pro feel. The color scheme will be mostly black with red trim to emulate the 19th century steam trains. I have also com across some brass leafing that I hope to employ.

Name:  DSC_0875.JPG
Views: 112
Size:  4.86 MBName:  DSC_0878.JPG
Views: 111
Size:  4.66 MBName:  DSC_0877.JPG
Views: 110
Size:  4.64 MBName:  DSC_0879.JPG
Views: 110
Size:  3.95 MB
    OCR and LuciferJesus like this.

OCR
    Will you be employing a similar concept to the front fender?
    Caroline Lodge # 681
    RAM Fidelity # 77

'79CX500C

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Sponsored Links