SteamX500
Close

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: SteamX500

SteamX500

I am building a steampunk inspired chop out of an 80 Custom that I pick up as a parts bike awhile back. I put about 6 hours a month into it, so it is nowhere near as far done as I would like it to be, but I think I am finally making some progress. Here are some pics of what I have so far. As you will see, I fabricate as much as I can myself, and try to use modified stock parts. The gear shift linkage is heavy as sh*t, which is why you will see the bungie cord holding it up. I feel I may need to re-evaluate that area of the build. Any feed back, or thoughts will always be appreciated and ignored.Name:  Web pic.JPG
Views: 1201
Size:  72.5 KBName:  DSC_0032WEB.JPG
Views: 1190
Size:  63.9 KBName:  DSC_0033WEB.JPG
Views: 1150
Size:  60.2 KBName:  DSC_0034WEB.JPG
Views: 1160
Size:  64.9 KBName:  DSC_0035WEB.JPG
Views: 1161
Size:  60.2 KB
    Bob Witte, Motomicah and Trundler like this.

JC
    Got a closeup of the gearshift linkage? Intriguing...

I'm not sure about the forks, looks kinda sketchy. I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt. I'm no engineer, but you might want to consult with one to check the math. Just as a precaution. Good luck with the build.
    1981 Honda GL500, abandoned bike that was stripped and "Left 4 Dead", pieced together and getting another run at the road. Ugly and rough around the edges, like the owner, but enthusiastic, fun, and surprisingly reliable. Its a Honda, so you know it's going to start when you hit the button.

Link to the progress of Project Left4Dead http://cx500forum.com/forum/garage-w...otorcycle.html
    Bikes currently in the stable.
    1986 Goldwing GL1200 Aspencade
    1981 GL500 Silverwing "Project:Left4Dead"
    1979 Honda CM400 Automatic "Uncle Billy's Bike" currently in pieces.
    Yamaha TT125, Doesn't someone need a shiftercart engine? PM me.
    Kawasaki KDX450 ****Update**** Gone to a new home to be rebuilt and ridden again.
    ***1970 CM400T needs a new home. *** PM me.
    Get on your Bike and Ride.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

I love that steampunk stuff!! Keep us posted.
    Bob Witte, The Ghost of The Trinity Trike (Past)

My GL500 trike conversion project thread: http://cx500forum.com/forum/cx-custo...ting-done.html
    Click on this URL to download my free PDF for new Trikers:http://magic-pc.net/HowToRideAMotorcycleTrike.pdf

Thomas,

Not to toot my horn, but as a mechanical engineer I am pretty comfortable with the forks, but I will certainly go back over the math to make sure they don't fall apart on me. Thanks for the concern, though. It is good to remind even the best of us (not that I am) that sometimes things add up, but still fail.

Can't think of a better bike for SteamPunk! Bring it on!
    Rivets! Brass! Leather!

not criticism but gear shift looks like it'll twist -bend easily. Needs a bit more anti-torsion? if that's the right word
    Last edited by Trundler; 05-18-2015 at 10:35 AM.

Trundler, I agree about the shifter. It's still in the mock-up-idea stage. As cool as the sprocket and connecting rod looks, the weight gives me some concern. The 1 inch steel bar is also temporary until I find just the right piece to go there.

Not being an engineer and being a backyard mechanic but I would think if you put a bolt completely through both tubes on the forks , well they kinda don't' work after. I've heard of a hard tail but not a hard fork before. Each to thier own
    1983 GL650I

Oh wait I see it now, still not inspiring confidence
    1983 GL650I

The location of the shocks on the forks was inspired by the girdraulic forks used by Brough Superior. The metals used are a lot beefier than the old girder forks, and use
    I'm sure mine are a lot heavier. I wanted something more like Earle's, but I always like the look of girders, and they looked a little easier to fabricate.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links