Zero and the C-monster - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Zero and the C-monster

Started breaking down Zero. Also picked up a set of newish Sportster mufflers. Not sure if I'll use them but couldn't pass up the $15 deal.

Took my tires in to a local bike shop to have them swapped out and they refused to do it. Liability, blah, blah, blah. Also said they would have dangerous traction issues on the street and I'd end up in the ditch. Really? The manufacturer developed them as a 50/50 dual sport tire. Whatever. Ended up buying another set -- same manufacturer but considered a 70/30 tire. When it's all said and done there's about a $30 difference. No biggie, I guess.
    Simultaneous build threads here... http://cx500forum.com/forum/cx-custo...c-monster.html
    '83 GL650I -- Zero
    '82 CX500c -- The C monster

Well, that didn't go as planned. He called me later and said that he, in fact, couldn't get the tires he wanted to sell me because they don't exist in that size. To add a little more Eff-you on top, he told me again that he not only refuses to mount up my originals but that if I were to find anyone else who was willing to do it, they were trying to kill me. Whatever, I just got some tire irons and did it myself. Then it sat for the rest of the week.

This morning I peeled off the rest of the rear bodywork and reinstalled the wheels/tires. Threw a blanket on the frame and blasted up and down my street a few times. New knobbys are waaay grippier! Made a couple loops down behind my house through the dirt just for good measure and it grabs like a dirt bike...almost. I think I'm gonna like it. Sportster mufflers sound great too.

Plan for tomorrow is to do my fork seals and maybe start surgery on the rear suspension and frame. Possibly even put the new bars on. We'll see how the day pans out.
    Marc should be over here around noon but only has about half the parts he needs so we'll just do what we can on his.

Stay tuned.
    Last edited by DRIVEN; 10-10-2015 at 01:46 PM.
    OCR likes this.
    Simultaneous build threads here... http://cx500forum.com/forum/cx-custo...c-monster.html
    '83 GL650I -- Zero

So that picture of your bike hanging on your lift legs.....

I will admit it stared at that picture A LONG TIME before I noticed it was hanging... tried to figure out how it was stand balanced on your center stand.
    DRIVEN and Raketemensch like this.
    1979 CX500 - 40k (in line for a triple)

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hoverbike conversion
    '83 GL650I -- Zero

We did about 6 hours today -- mostly working. Always seems like there's as much BSing as a actual work done. I got my forks rebuilt/resealed, boots installed, and the stock gauges removed. Also tried the chrome fender from the CX650 donor bike just to see if I like it. Changed out the bars along with the new grips and mirrors as well. Took a couple more bomb runs up and down the driveway and around the back yard.

My Silverwing pile is getting pretty big. I may actually list this stuff sooner rather than later.

Marc got the old mono shock mounts cleaned up and ready for re-engineering to accommodate his new Ninja unit. We also mounted his new front tire. Most of his new parts aren't scheduled for delivery until tomorrow so we couldn't make any real progress.
    OCR, Motomicah and AWK08 like this.
    '83 GL650I -- Zero

Another 8hrs yesterday on Marc's C-monster. Mounted the other new tire and balanced both. He installed the new drag bars and all the controls. They hit the tank at full travel so we're debating on whether to modify the stops or dimple the tank. Mocked up the cheap Chinese headlight. Got the upper and lower shock mounts done and the replacement Ninja shock installed -- still pretty soft though so he's on the hunt for a stiffer replacement spring or else a complete replacement. Welded in the rear frame loops too. Last thing we did was mock up the Mac's exhaust system.

'83 GL650I -- Zero

I'd want a proper sleeve and bushing in that shock mount. As it is, it's riding on the bolt. Expect a high amount of wear.

R
    CXPHREAK and Flipper like this.
    10th Annual Minnesota Spring Ride and Barbecue - Saturday, May 13, 2017
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1978 CX500 Standard - The Grub

1981 GL500 Basket case -> AdventureWing (Dual-sport conversion in progress) - Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3

1979 CX500 Deluxe rolling chassis -> Hmm?

Duly noted. The whole monoshock thing is work in progress. We researched it quite a bit and found that it's been done a ton of different ways with varying degrees of success. Since there doesn't seem to be any one proven combo, we're just faking our way through it. At this point we've learned that this combo isn't "the one". Stay tuned.
    '83 GL650I -- Zero

this is definately my style of build. subbed. and +1 on the bushing for the monoshock. ive seen what kind of things happen with worn bushings on cars. i can only imagine none at all on a scoot.
    1980 cx500c.
    $800 pawn shop find that i cant quite figure out what to do with

Glad you're enjoying it. More to come...
    '83 GL650I -- Zero

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links