New Hampshire 81 cx500 deluxe bobber build - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: New Hampshire 81 cx500 deluxe bobber build

Name:  fan.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  24.3 KB

picked up a 2013 Ducati fan off a bike with 1,500 miles for $24 including shipping. Didn't realize how little these guys are.
    dbjac, OCR and roadster like this.
    1981 CX500 deluxe Bobber

Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
    ... I ended up scoring an 82 Virago 920 with 5,800 miles for $475 but had to drive 9hrs Attachment 31316
    These are great project bikes. A lot of cool builds out there. I'd like to see what direction you take it...
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
    Finally have the rear end set up. Hope to get the bike broken down this week for powder coat. Attachment 31377
    So what rear shock have you incorporated into the build? I was always interested in a build like this, but my CX building days are over (for now). I have a 'flock' of '88 - '90 Honda Hawks. The reason I mention it is they use a non-link shock (off a beautiful single sided swing arm) much as you have going on here. The shock would probably have the load characteristics that you would need for this type of build. I have several, I can send you one for shipping costs if interested. To be honest, they were not that high performance shock from the get-go, but it may be worth swapping around (if necessary) as you tune your suspension. On my current Hawk build, I have mounted up a Hagon (not cheap, but much more cost effective than a Penske). It may be a direction for you to look at should this particular shock not provide the suspension performance you're looking for.

Subscribed. Best of luck!

-tom
    CX#3 - 1979 CX500 Custom - Backroads Carver, completed spring, 2015, SOLD to fellow employee, Fall, 2016
    CX#2 - 1978 CX500 Standard - Restoration - Frame 210, Engine 202 - SOLD to neighbor
    CX#1 - 1980 CX500 Custom - WM styled customization - SOLD to forum member Whirledthump
    1988 Honda GT 647 Hawk
    1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor
    Hope to build another CX, one day...
    -----------------
    Speed is you friend, but it should never be confused with talent.
    Follow me on Instagram at: @flyinelvis

Build threads and updates are here.

Thanks Tom. Love your builds btw. If I remember correctly it was a Kawasaki EX650 shock but I'm thinking it will be summer before I know how it rides. I'll definitely keep you in mind. Heading to Costa Rica next week to try for forget about all this snow and will then be gearing up to over haul the engine and electrical.

I had some ulterior motives with the Virago. My plan is to go through it by summer and get it on the road and do some cruising with the kid. After a season or so I'm sure i'll be due for another project. I think I'm going to go the doc chops route. I know many do this but I think its a good look. I'm a fan of the stock wheels so I'll have them powder coated. Add some clip ons, rear sets. The front end already has dual disc. Thinking Tangelo for paint. With under 6k on the dial im hoping it won't need too much mechanical.
    flyinelvis likes this.
    1981 CX500 deluxe Bobber

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

So what do you do when your X tells you she plans on joining youName:  IMG_8309.JPG
Views: 694
Size:  422.3 KBName:  IMG_8307.JPG
Views: 673
Size:  363.5 KBName:  IMG_8306.JPG
Views: 683
Size:  365.9 KBName:  IMG_8305.JPG
Views: 920
Size:  490.8 KB on your vacation to Costa Rica days before the trip?!?!?! you drink as many Dark & Stormy's as u can and then tear your CX down for powder coat while you still have a penny to your name!
    OCR and flyinelvis like this.
    1981 CX500 deluxe Bobber

got back from Central America and went to pick up my parts from the powder coater. When sand blasting the frame he found some rot. I suspect from sitting on the kickstand water build up on the left side. My harbor freight welder saved the day. should have the frame back in a couple days.

Name:  rot.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  35.7 KBName:  weld.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  35.8 KBName:  powder.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  31.6 KB
    flyinelvis likes this.
    1981 CX500 deluxe Bobber

Looking good. I'm awaiting my kit from BBCR. More than two months now but he says its ready to ship. I hope I'm riding this spring.
    '81 CX500C

Is your rear fender bolted on?
    I have a friend cutting and welding my front one right now. I wasn't sure what was involved with the rear.
    '81 CX500C

Your welder done a real neat job with the r/h lower engine hanger, that is one of the first places these frames rot out. It's satisfying when you get on top of jobs like that and see it coming together.
    1981 500 custom (cx650e engine)
    1983 650 custom

Roaster I had Andrei cut up a front fender and weld it on the swing arm. I probably should have spent a little more time smoothing out the shortened front fender before powder but I was rushing for vacation. It was pretty heavily pitted so I figured the sandblasting and powder would be a good base that I could smooth and paint over later if needed.
    1981 CX500 deluxe Bobber

hmmm, the guy who's chopping my front fender said it'd be ready for paint when he's done... I hadn't considered powder coating it.
    Anyway, Andrei shipped mine yesterday. Ready to get started. I'm not sure what Ill do on the rear fender.
    '81 CX500C

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links