Fernweh CX500 SOE's cafe build - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Fernweh CX500 SOE's cafe build

Long overdue update. So I got got hit by a car while riding shortly after this and slipped a disc in my back.

I couldn't really bend over or do much of any labour for the past 6 months and what's more I lost a lot of motivation as well.

I've just come back home from being overseas and have started doing some more work.

I've brought a bunch of items for the bike and a stack of new tools as well.

Things have been turning up at work and every day has felt like Christmas.

Once I've got all the new supplies I'll list it all and take some photos.

Also I'm giving some consideration to stripping and painting the frame this weekend. But we'll see what the weather does.

Additionally while I'm rebuilding it's engine I believe I've sourced a spare to throw in so I can have some rising time with the bike.

Exciting things are on the horizon because i can finally bend my back again (somewhat).

I have some news. I have it in both good and the bad kind.

I went to visit my donor bike today to see if it was using TI ignition and whether or not it actually runs.

Here she is in all of her glory

The bad news first. I have no idea if it runs. I connected up the battery and it had no lights, no ignition, no turn signals, nothing. I checked the main fuse to see if it was mayve blown to find that it didn't exist and instead someone had replaced it with another piece of wire to bridge the gap.

I had a look behind the headlight and I found a rats nest of stripped wires and unplugged things. I had a quick try at plugging it all back together (Because I've done it before) and there are so many missing wires I couldn't make heads nor tails of it without a multi meter (which was back at home).

Pictured is the rats nest. It was worse under the cluster and behind the plastic where there were stripped wires that had things spliced into them. I couldn't get a photo of that it was a little awkward to get the camera in.

The good news. It's TI ignition. I've decided I'm not going to bother trying to fix the wiring to see if I can get this to start I could easily spend as much time chasing electrical gremlins as I could dropping the engine and sticking it into my bike with known working electrics. So that's what I'll do.

While it's off I'll give it a quick going over makes sure she's in reasonable health, IE make sure it won't detonate underneath me.

Unfortunately the outside of engine looks to be in real nasty shape and I can't in good conscience put it on my bike, in that state. So I'll give it a good clean maybe a quick blast with the sand blaster before I give it a good ol' closed door spray and mount it up.

When will this happen? I don't know... It's likely to be a 3-4 weekend job and I want to paint my frame first.

So the current agenda looks like this:
    Paint the frame (1 weekend)
    Drop donor engine (1/2 weekend)
    Clean engine (1 weekend)
    Paint engine (1 weekend)
    Put engine into bike and return the bike to registerable state (1-2 weekends)

So we're talking 1-2 months before being rego'd. Then the plan from there is to sort out the front end, get the headlights and cluster done. Then the rear end.

I'm going to have a closer look at your pics etc. but that appears to be a mash up.

The frame looks to be 500C.

Must grock.

Nope, I'm dribbling cr@p. The kickouts at the end of the frame aren't obvious in the photos. It's an 82 shadow I guess going by the brakes and the TI.

I think the SEAT is from a 500C though.

Good luck with the motor.
    Last edited by CXPHREAK; 10-31-2016 at 04:50 AM.
    Rebuilding Handlebar Switches

http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/CXPHREAK/library/Switchgear%20rebuild?sort=6&page=1

Rider 81 500C, Thingy Born a 78Z. Ozdeluxe born an 80 shadow.

GET A MULTIMETER RTFM I am a CX500. If you maintain me I will run forever.

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yeah I'm fairly certain the seat is not from the bike. I actually picked this up from JC at the same time that I picked up the Rat. He twisted our wrist and we brought home a 2nd one. ha ha. If I remember correctly it didn't have a seat and we got him to find spare for us.

I figure the odds of the engine having a major fault that prevent it from running a fairly low. But I'll check the critical things before I start it up. From memory:
    Timing chain
    Oil level
    movement in pistons

Throw some fresh spark plugs in it and we should be golden.

Tiny update from a tiny amount of work I did tonight. I've decided to start painting the frame mid week.

I'm not going to do a complete strip and paint. I'll just remove what I have to a move what I don't want remove. I'm planning washing the frame tomorrow afternoon. Then I'll scuff the whole thing up with some 240 clean it down grab a couple of rattle cans and do it that way. I've decided against completely stripping the frame and powdercoating it. I can see the whites in the eyes of getting her back on the road and I'll be able to do an adequate enough job this way.

A while back I decided not to paint my tank because I knew it would get knocked around a little between now and when the bike was finished. I had done all the prep work, beating out dents, sanding the rust off bogging it up and generally making it beautiful and smooth. The problem I now face is that because I haven't painted it it's developed quite a bit of surface rust. So while I'm doing this I'm going to sand it back again and spray it. I won't worry about clear coating it, I only really want to stop it from rusting further have it in a state where it looks reasonable.

I've already done the engine support subframe and I'm really happy with the result.

Here's how the bike stands tonight. You'll notice I've covered off the electrics so that when it gets washed I don't damage anything.

On a side note I had arranged for a bunch of new exciting parts to big picked up by courier which should have been here tomorrow. I've just found out the parts never got picked up so I'll need to chase that up tomorrow and see what the hell happened.

I sure don't miss living in the "rust belt" regions of the world. One good thing about being in a desert like environment...
    1982 GL500i Daily rider
    1982 GL500 Father/Son winter project. The green hornet! Alive and well!

Mike Nixon's carb book
    Larry Cargill's carb book
    Factory service Manual

I thought you grew taters there.

http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/CXPHREAK/library/Switchgear%20rebuild?sort=6&page=1

Irrigation mate. they are running the snake river dry. Plus they don't use salt on roads
    1982 GL500i Daily rider
    1982 GL500 Father/Son winter project. The green hornet! Alive and well!

Mike Nixon's carb book
    Larry Cargill's carb book
    Factory service Manual

Bugger. We have similar here. They grow rice and cotton further up the Murray Darling and not much water finds its way to South Australia. This year we've had an unusually wet winter and go into summer with pretty much full reservoirs. But I'll bail on my vile corruption of Evilsonnys thread.

Alrighty, I did a lot of work today but it's a small update.

I picked up some paints on my way home from work today. A coupel of colours for the tank, very similar to the premix stuff I have in cans for the real paint job but instead, these are rattle cans so I can have a play around with designs I like. But I'm probably going to do the tank later in the week. Maybe the weekend.

So I took some time and gave the girl a much needed bath this afternoon and smashed it with some degreaser and a wire brush to get off what I could. Dried it as best I could went to dinner at the in-laws then rolled her back into the garage. However this was not before realising I'd pulled the front axle out to remove the fan on the Custom and subsequently rolling it off the wheel (it was resting on the caliper/rotors" and having the bike go forks first into the concrete and the wheel roll out of the garage... I did manage to stop the bike from falling over but spent the next 10 minutes constructing a long pole out of various objects in my reach so I could reach a ratchet strap to support the frame which allowed me to find where I put the axle hoist the front end up and put the front wheel back on.

So after getting it back into the garage I decided to bite the bullet and rather than doing a bike version of a "closed door respray" and just mask everything off I decided "stuff it" and stripped everything off the frame. I decided to leave the loom connected and just move it out of the way.

I then set about sanding back and rust I could find, of which there was tonnes. As I discovered a small amount of rust the size of a ball of a pin usually meant a 2-3cm circle of rust lay under the paint.

So after a solid 2-3 hours of sanding, wire brushing, rotary wire brushing, wiping down and washing I came up with this.

I wheeled it back out the front at 10PM and hosed it off used the air pressure remaining in my compressor to dry it before using a wax/grease remover to get rid of any residue. After it was dry the fun part began and I got to apply my first coat of paint.

I've found the methods I used to remove the paint have left some scratches in the metal and in some places where I didn't spent enough time sanding we have a few raised surfaces. The finish so far is a little bit iffy and I'm not terrible excited about the quality of the paint but this is just coat #1.

Tomorrow I'll sand it back with a 400 grit to even it out a little more give it another wipe down and we'll go for coat #2.

I have a few "when in rome" chores to do on the bike.

While I have the rear wheel off I'm going to paint it and once the frame is finished I'll pull the front end off, paint the front wheel, paint the forks, calipers, front fender and the top section of the triple tree

I also managed to finish cleaning the rust off of a spare steering stem I had so I'll be able to paint that up beforehand and just swap it straight over for the old dirty looking one.

As of yet I'm undecided whether or not I want to clear coat my frame. I did a satin finish using a Duplicolour clear coat on the engine mount subframe and I was super happy with the result I got from it.

I'm a little concerned I've cheaped out a little much on the paint I used for the frame at $5 a can from a large autoparts chain in Aus (Supercheap Auto) and for those wondering the brand is Australian Export. But I'm determined to give it a few more coats because it's a little unfair to judge it so early.

That's all for today next update will be about the same time tomorrow.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links