Fernweh CX500 SOE's cafe build - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Fernweh CX500 SOE's cafe build

"Murray" and "Darling" in the same sentence?
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 61
    No more stable, no more ride for me.
    Forum Settings that everyone should make
    Photo posting tips!

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

Quote Originally Posted by ramprat06 View Post
    "Murray" and "Darling" in the same sentence?
    Murray Darling is used an awful lot over here. In Australia, Murray-Darling is the longest river system spanning a little over 4,000 kilometers (or 2485 freedom units for you blokes in the USA).

Super boring update today. Guess what I did today? Yep. You guessed it. More painting.

Bonus photo of my disgusting tank:

Last edited by Son of eevil; 11-02-2016 at 08:24 AM.
    CXPHREAK likes this.
    Currently building 2 Cafe Racers:

CX500 Standard - Current working title "Furry Rat"
    CX500C - Building this for my father, doesn't have a name yet still waiting for something to come to me

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

JC
    Your tank looks like a nicely painted final drive!

Painting can be so tedious sometimes but having the parts look vastly better at the end can be rather satisfying.

All the day.
    Paint it black

All in black:
    Parts look IMO better, when new screws are used.
    Gives a better contrast.

I'm very much considering ordering a new screw kit for the bike. I completely agree. Way better with unpainted screws.

JC
    Grab the bolt sizes from the parts fiches and take the list into Newcastle Hi Tensile - you should walk out with a full kit for a good price. They also deliver, iirc, but I've not ever tried that option. The last lot I got worked out to be a fair bit cheaper than the kits you can get on eBay.

I'm a cheapskate and will use the factory hardware painted in silvagal. Protects the bolts, contrasts nicely with black and will cost about $5. :}
    Rebuilding Handlebar Switches

http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/CXPHREAK/library/Switchgear%20rebuild?sort=6&page=1

Rider 81 500C, Thingy Born a 78Z. Ozdeluxe born an 80 shadow.

GET A MULTIMETER RTFM I am a CX500. If you maintain me I will run forever.

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page

So,

Unfortunately I've come down with a minor case of the flu, not too bad but is has stripped me off my voice so I texted into work off sick this morning. By about mid day I was feeling a little better and decided to wander out to the workshop.

Last night I washed and sanded back the rear wheel and today I hit it with it's first and 2nd coat of paint

I also took the cut down guard I had, cleaned it up and primed it ready for painting

Also, a mysterious package arrived via courier today.

But... what's in the package?

It contains the rear frame from a another bike, cafe seat and bolt on hoop

After my update last night I dragged my tank inside the house and hit it with some sandpaper late at night

It's not finished yet but looking a lot closer to it

In addition to all of this I've also sanded down the frame with a 240 wet/dry in some sections and then back over with an 800 wet/dry before putting on what I hope is the final coat of paint on the frame.

I'd like to be able to say I'm finished with the frame painting by late tonight sometime.

I've also run out of paint and I'm not sure if I'm up to going out and getting some more just yet but we'll see how the day progresses and how I'm feeling
    Last edited by Son of eevil; 11-02-2016 at 09:08 PM.

CX500C - Building this for my father, doesn't have a name yet still waiting for something to come to me

Micro update.

Finally got to shoot some colour, I've been dying to do this since I got my hands on the paint. The paint is still wet here so it's a little brighter in colour than it actually is. So at this point the idea of the bike is to have this colour on the front guard, the tank and on the seat (not the padded part) with 2 silver pin stripes that run from the front guard all the way to be rear.

I also finished cleaning up the tank, I broke out the goggles, mask and the sand blaster and made super short work of the rust. unfortunately the media also made short work of a lot of my bog, so I've had to tidy that up quite a bit. This photo is pre-sand blasting.

I also got audibly excited and hurried in to grab my wife and drag her outside so she could see the seat and tank sitting on the bike.

The seat appears to sit really nicely up against the tank too, very flush finish, but we'll see how it looks once the bracket is on.

I'm not sure at this stage if I'll cut off the bracket that's been made and use that, cut the tubes and weld them back on or make a brand new bracket using the one that already exists as a reference. So I'm very open to suggestions here. my inclination is to grab a die grinder and cut off the seat bracket then weld it back on to my frame.

I'll also try and do a colour mockup of what I want it to look like at the end, stay tuned, we'll see how I go on that.

EDIT: No, I suck at photoshop, you'll just have to wait, haha.
    Last edited by Son of eevil; 11-03-2016 at 03:05 AM.
    nolimitz likes this.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links