Trident Police Trike
Close

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Trident Police Trike

Trident Police Trike

My latest acquisition which will be a project for next fall/winter. The trike is complete except for the front brake master cylinder. This is a true "it ran when it was parked" machine. I know the previous owner and it indeed was a runner when parked 5 - 6 years ago. It's going to take some work:
    • Complete fuel system cleaning including carb rebuild
    • Brake overhaul
    • New tires all around
    • Thorough cleanup of the electrical system
    • Probably fork seals and front wheel bearings
    • Perform the "triple bypass" inspection and address any issues found
    • Cosmetics as needed

Attached Images Attached Images    
    nolimitz, OCR and Scared like this.

A number of years ago I bought a fiberglass top for my bus that looked like that (actually...worse).
    Everyone told me to paint it, but painted fiberglass doesn't look the same as fiberglass.

Instead I bought a big package of those green scrubbies (the ones with the yellow sponge on the back) and a bottle of "VIM with Bleach". I also grabbed an empty spray bottle and filled it with 15% bleach 75% water and 10% crossed fingers.

It came out whiter than white. Looked amazing.

Just a thought. That thing could clean up real nice.
    VladTepes likes this.
    1978 CX500
    1968 VW micro bus

Quote Originally Posted by Adoom View Post
    A number of years ago I bought a fiberglass top for my bus that looked like that (actually...worse).
    Everyone told me to paint it, but painted fiberglass doesn't look the same as fiberglass.

Instead I bought a big package of those green scrubbies (the ones with the yellow sponge on the back) and a bottle of "VIM with Bleach". I also grabbed an empty spray bottle and filled it with 15% bleach 75% water and 10% crossed fingers.

It came out whiter than white. Looked amazing.

Just a thought. That thing could clean up real nice.
    Most of the crud on the body is mold and mildew. It should clean up fairly well. Until I get a chance to spend some serious time evaluating the trike's condition, I don't know whether I will keep as much of the patina as possible or do a full blown restoration.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

fiberglass, having a gel coat finish will clean up real nice using boat cleaning products
    1983 CX 650 6.000 miles
    1987 CMX 450 9,000 miles

Finally got the beast home today and will try to post more photos this weekend. The fairing is definitely a Pacifico.

The mold and mildew cleaned up nicely with soap and water.

Name:  IMG_3260.JPG
Views: 502
Size:  1.67 MBName:  IMG_3261.JPG
Views: 503
Size:  1.76 MBName:  IMG_3263.JPG
Views: 490
Size:  1.63 MB

Is there any documentation available that is specific to the Trident conversion?
    OCR and flyinelvis like this.

i have never seen any
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

GET A QUICKSET VALVE TOOL

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

Visit Bike-urious .... type in " Trident " under the search and your bike pops up...along with several Brit Tridents.... Text basically said the Trident company built approx. 250 units for various departments. I recently found a 82' Cb500 Trike used by the Chicago PD (not as nice of shape as yours). Seems Chicago didn't use the large faring and the " ice cream " box is a slightly different style.

trident is the model not the company mci is the company and they are defunct

trident the company is a bicycle trike company not motorcycles
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

GET A QUICKSET VALVE TOOL

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

I started the rebuild of my Trident police trike about a week ago. I wil document the progress here unless the moderators prefer it elsewhere.

The first order of business is to get the engine running. The fuel system is a horror show - the tank is filled with stuff that belongs at an EPA toxic waste site. Really ugly. I am 100% confident that the carbs are a horror show as well. I had contacted Howard Halasz (a Randakk recommended carb guru for CX500 carbs) and he basically declined the carb work. If I don't find someone else to do the carbs I will take a shot at them myself although I prefer they be done by a carb guru.

First thing I did was to verify that the engine wasn't seized. I removed the spark plugs and the crankshaft access cover and was easily able to manually turn the engine over via the crankshaft bolt. The rubber boot on the right-side spark plug was dry rotted (most of the rubber pieces are dry rotted) to the point where water had accumulated in the spark plug recess. There a boatload of corrosion in the recess. I blew out the accumulated crud and sprayed Kroil in there. After letting it sit awhile I was able to fairly easily remove the spark plug. There were a couple of small spots at the very top of the spark plug thread where there was a minute bit of aluminum from the head but close inspection showed the threads in the head looked pretty good. I was able to screw a new spark plug into the hole without any issues. The left side plug came out with no issues. I subsequently discovered that the drain hole was plugged and cleared out.

The work plan is as follows:

1) Clean the fuel system and rebuild the carbs.
    2) Replace the throttle tube. The one that came on the trike literally crumbled.
    3) Go though the electrical system sufficiently to get the starter and ignition working.
    4) Change the coolant. Fix whatever leaks.
    5) Change the air filter, oil and oil filter
    6) Get the beast to fire up.

Once I get the engine running I will do several oil and filter changes followed by a cooling system flush and replacement of the coolant hoses.

7) Rebuild the brakes.
    8) Go though the rest of the electrical system. This thing has a car battery rather than a bike battery. See the next post.
    Stay tuned.
    Name:  IMG_3961.JPG
Views: 411
Size:  1.70 MB
    LEFT SIDE SPARK PLUG HOLE

Name:  IMG_3960.JPG
Views: 400
Size:  1.44 MB
    RIGHT SIDE SPARK PLUG HOLE
    Name:  IMG_3968.JPG
Views: 401
Size:  1.97 MB