Phreaks thingy. - Page 13
Close

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: Phreaks thingy.

I haven't found the limit for lightening the vacuum pistons. I think the most I have removed is 2.7 grams. I take the material from the top of the slide with a burr. I have found weight discrepencies up to .7 of a gram from side to side. Probably inconsequential but I correct it, even if not expressly lightening them when I rebuild carbs. Removing too much would likely see the carbs begin to fluff on sudden throttle openings or give a rich mixture on large throttle openings. This can be picked up either at the spark plugs or by the bike having better performance before it has completely warmed up as opposed to after.

I don't play with the springs or the size of the vacuum relief holes. Altering piston weight goes to the heart of the issue IMHO.
    izak likes this.
    Rebuilding Handlebar Switches

Rider 81 500C, Thingy Born a 78Z. Ozdeluxe born an 80 shadow.

GET A MULTIMETER RTFM I am a CX500. If you maintain me I will run forever.

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's with addendums

Quote Originally Posted by CXPHREAK View Post
    I only weigh 60 kilo and these motors all are in fairly good condition.
    With or without Klamotten ?
    Without Klamotten is totally nude and well/good all around the body totally shaved.

Nekkid.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thats about 30 lighter than me.

that could explain the flying wheel.

My Bandit 1200s would not lift unless I wanted.

have a habit of sitting at the very front with a forward lean.

I like steering (control freak).

Stoppies should be easy.(No thank u very much)

amazing how just a few little things like a few little

judicious applications of the Dremel, die grinder

some jet drills and a few skills brings about an

engine to life.

Bought a CX500D in '79

Brit Bikes and Station Wagons could pass.
    SideCar Bob's settings. http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-...ould-make.html
    Main Wiki you can search by topic: http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page
    Old rant http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-...me-advice.html
    St
    StatorTest;;
    http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page
    'Eager" 1979 CX500C Maroon.
    Named for the way it runs/sounds @ 65 +

Still no progress on the thingy as such, but getting back to my builds is getting closer. The shed cleanup has dragged on and on with much rubbish thrown out, reshelved, moved to the back shed, put on ebay etc.

Who has ever played that kids game with the covered petrie dish thing with the hole bored in the deck that you have to get all the ball bearings into the holes? The one where as soon as one goes in another has come out? That's what my shed has reminded me of for weeks now.

I have built a new workbench and taken apart the wall of wardrobes and chests of drawers etc that used to divide off the back of the shed. I've put flashing under the eaves to keep the weather out and converted the entire shed from flouro lighting to led because I'm a cheapskate who would rather buy parts than pay inflated South Australian power bills. { We have the best electricity in the world going on price } Have put up acrylic roof sheeting to get better daytime light and further cut back on power usage. Still a few lights to convert. Am also adding bunker lights down low for better light for working on bikes .... with led bulbs of course.

Have used up all the leftover white paint stored in the shed on the inside of the shed, once again for better lighting and used up some green and blue paints on the shed frame. All other paint was thrown out.

Still some more work to do on the shed itself but am homing in on finished. I actually have room to work now. For a few weeks there I was actually climbing through my shed from one end to the other. Now I can amble the length of the shed like a civilised human being. I said like a civilised human being .... not claiming to be one.

Anyway, since I now have some room I've got the last motor I had in my test bike on the bench. It ran well but I wanted to check the chains and a couple of other things before signing it off as good and painting it ready to be fitted to whatever .... though it is a candidate to be the motor for my Ozdeluxe. On opening this motor I found a camchain with about 60% life left so will leave that alone. I already knew the motor had a new CDI stator fitted at some point {I saw it through the advancer cover} So really have just fitted a new oilpump chain and will replace the mech seal and oilseals. Off to the shed to cut new gaskets shortly. This motor uses no oil and doesn't dirty it between changes either. The dark patch on my thumbnail is from hitting it with a hammer a couple of weeks back .... it's not dirty oil.

The thingys motor is still in the test bike and has just clocked 1000 kilometers. This motor is a gem and will being pulled out for preperation to go into the thingy when the opportunity presents itself.

Looking forward to getting back into it.

Was sure I took more photos than this.

A few carnage shots from yesterday.Name:  posozd 001.JPG
Views: 134
Size:  168.7 KBName:  posozd 002.JPG
Views: 133
Size:  168.5 KBName:  posozd 012.JPG
Views: 131
Size:  166.3 KBName:  posozd 010.JPG
Views: 132
Size:  179.5 KB
    Last edited by CXPHREAK; 04-29-2017 at 08:28 PM.
    izak likes this.

JC
    That shed is looking enviably neat!

neat is always a passing phase in my shed
    jak likes this.
    In New Zealand

1979 CX500 cafe

1983 CX650ED

1983 CX650 uber modernish cafe project bike

Neatness is fleeting in my world! It's only aspirational.
    izak likes this.
    1981 CX 500 Deluxe
    1986 Yamaha Radian YX600
    Martha'a Vineyard, Ma

Yep, neatness is fleeting here too. I do one of these cleanups every two or three years, but this would be the most intensive yet. At least since the one I did when I sold off the Hillmans and parts that were here.

Eventually the nightmare will be over .... until next time.
    izak likes this.

A couple of things I found on the motor I'm working on.

First {found yesterday} there was no copper washer fitted under the impellers dome nut. It had been assembled with white bathtub silicon, as was everyhting else at the back.

It has been through at least two camchains before the one currently fitted. The first chew is quite deep. Then a new bolt was fitted and chewed to a fairly minor degree.

When cleaning up the old camshaft oilseal to temporarily refit as a depth stop for the mech seal hog out I noticed it was quite deformed with its internal lips also flattened. Turns out it was a 17 x 28 seal like would be fitted to the front rather than the required 18 x 28 seal.

It must have been leaking. The weephole had been caulked up twice. first with black sealer, than more white bathtub silicon. Good thing the mech seal wasn't leaking.

As the front cover apparently hadn't been removed before I wondered how they'd restrained the motor from turning to retorque the rotor so removed the advance rotor and checked it. Whatever method they used at least it was tight.

Have cut the cover gaskets and done the hogout and have a few things to fiddle with before I refit the covers. Mainly dealing with rusty engine cover bolts. Someone's wire wheeled the zinc off them would be my guess. I'll wire wheel them again and spray them with silvagal.
    izak likes this.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links