Phreaks thingy. - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: Phreaks thingy.

Ripped this down to a bare block today and am fairly pleased. While nothing has been more than casually inspected yet everything looks much better than I could have hoped. One bore has minor surface rust that is of no concern. The filth inside the motor cleaned off easily so at least wasn't baked on from a cooked motor at any point. There was a lot of clutch fibre floating around and the usual silver sparklies from the camchain getting into the rear crank cap and its bolt. There was enough bolt left to still be able to undo it with a socket. The left camchain guide was broken at the upper mounting eye.

Surprisingly for a bike that appears to have been poorly maintained on initial inspection the camshaft and sub rockers appear new. Weird but welcome. This would seem to be the nicest camshaft I have seen in one of these.

The crankshaft looks very nice and I'm undecided on whether to replace the main and rod bearings. While I have replacements here I'm not replacing bearings that don't need replacing just for the sake of it. I have a number of motors that yet might want them. I can find no paint marking on any of the existing bearings but the crank bearing codes are all Bs. If I can fit green rod bearings I may just replace them though. These are available along with the mystery blue rod bearings. While I'm about it I'll likely plastigauge a set of these to see where they fit on the bearing chart.

The mechanical seal fell apart when I removed the impeller but of course he'll be getting a new one regardless.

I'll finish up cleaning, checking and measuring stuff tomorrow and pick up some plastigauge through the week ready for next weekend and take a few pics in addition to the few I took today.

I should be able to start reassembling this next weekend .... and have just realised I haven't actually ordered the new clutch friction plates yet. Reminded by all the clutch dust I was. But they should be here before I want them. EBC springs already in transit, and that 'A' rocker.

Have to pull the hall sensor out of the shadows motor that is sitting on the floor while the shadow is testing another motor so it will be easy to get to.

I am wondering if despite touring fairing and general appearances that maybe this thing doesn't have a huge milage. But it's hard to tell ..... it's a CX.
    izak likes this.
    Rebuilding Handlebar Switches

Rider 81 500C, Thingy Born a 78Z. Ozdeluxe born an 80 shadow.

GET A MULTIMETER RTFM I am a CX500. If you maintain me I will run forever.

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's with addendums

Didn't get much done today but started plastigauging bearings before I timed out. I think this crank has been ground at some point. Rod bearing journals measure evenly right across at 39.965 mm which is one thou below a C. I would expect if this was wear that the area between the rods would be larger than where the bearings run. The surface looks good.

A 'B' journal with a '2' rod should be a green bearing but this gives a 0050 thou oil clearance which is over spec. Next I will try brown bearings which at a guess will be coming into oil clearance spec .... if not I have black.

The rings were gummed into their grooves. This is why the bike woken up from long hibernation generally initially has low compression. This often sorts itself out once the motor has done a couple of hundred miles. This one's getting new rings.

Name:  thingbearing 004.JPG
Views: 423
Size:  167.4 KBName:  thingbearing 010.JPG
Size:  178.5 KB

Name:  thingbearing 011.JPG
Views: 430
Size:  167.8 KBName:  thingbearing 007.JPG
Size:  177.3 KB
    Last edited by CXPHREAK; 09-04-2016 at 06:21 AM.
    Motomicah and izak like this.

Been out playing with my thingy today. Have selected the mystery blue rods as these are the closest fit and appear to be a tighter bearing than a black which still wasn't close enough to spec. The blue bearings give me a clearance of .0023 as near as I can figure with the plastigauge. This is beyond the .0020 max given in the FSM but is much less than the .0050 clearance the removed bearings had {this is the same clearance as new green bearings gave} It is well below the .0031 service limit though and should be good to go for many years to come.

I will further assess the mains tomorrow but an initial inspection suggests they can be left alone.

The gudgeon pins I have replaced with much better units. The ones in the motor were fairly worn where it runs on the rod. The rod has the odd scratch but shows the original finishing over 90% or so of the surface.

Back to it tomorrow ..... and I have the crank plate in here to clean up tonight.

Incidentally, and unusually, the lower rockers and camshaft are pristine. Likely the nicest I've seen. No pitting in the hardfacing at all.
    izak likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CXPHREAK View Post
    Didn't get much done today but started plastigauging bearings before I timed out. I think this crank has been ground at some point. Rod bearing journals measure evenly right across at 39.965 mm which is one thou below a C. I would expect if this was wear that the area between the rods would be larger than where the bearings run. The surface looks good.

A 'B' journal with a '2' rod should be a green bearing but this gives a 0050 thou oil clearance which is over spec. Next I will try brown bearings which at a guess will be coming into oil clearance spec .... if not I have black.

The rings were gummed into their grooves. This is why the bike woken up from long hibernation generally initially has low compression. This often sorts itself out once the motor has done a couple of hundred miles. This one's getting new rings.

Name:  thingbearing 004.JPG
Size:  167.4 KBName:  thingbearing 010.JPG
Size:  178.5 KB

Name:  thingbearing 011.JPG
Size:  167.8 KBName:  thingbearing 007.JPG
Size:  177.3 KB
    Interested where you are getting your rings. I saw you may have the hook up. Im interested as I think I may need some in the coming weeks. Nice work

PM jhovel regarding the rings. He has stocks at a good price.

Not much progress on the thingy today. Still cleaning parts up and stripping gaskets etc. Had to fight with the rusty head locating dowels on one side. Have been putting inox on them for a week too. Used the butt end of a drill bit in the dowel with a small pair of vice grips clamped to the dowel. Twisted the whole top off of the mongrel. Then tried to roll it up with a pin punch. No dice. So I clamped a 7 mm drill bit in the vice pointy end out this time and turned the bit into the dowel until bottomed out. Still not ready to come out so followed with a 7.5 mm drill. This time the remains of the dowel collapsed and came out. The second much the same .... only quicker. I guess the 2 on the other side I haven't done yet will be more of the same.

Will load the few pics I have when I get the camera from the shed.

Pm sent. Thank you!
    CXPHREAK likes this.

Back at this one today, and a bit of a minor setback. The right bore in the thingys block has more corrosion than I thought on initial inspection. The hone revealed that the bore is actually damaged.

On the upside, I've dragged out a bare 82 block I've had laying around and cleaned its bores and run the hone through them and this one is pretty good with just a few small random stains so I'll transfer the guts of the 78 motor into this block. I now need to clean this block and I can maybe start to look at assembling something.

I will use the thingys crank support and transfer its front bearing ... perhaps. I have no internal mike and may take block, crank, bearing chart and bearings to my machinist to measure up and tell me which bearings to use. Alternatively, I can buy an internal mike. Need a 50mm one I guess.

The rod bearings are at least sorted.

Cam followers are very nice. {yet to be cleaned here ... done now.} Incidentally, the followers I pulled from the 82 block were either reconditioned with new faces or the design has changed from the earlier models. Will check part numbers at some point.

Should be able to get a few hours or so in on cleaning the block etc. tomorrow.

Name:  thingengbits1 008.JPG
Views: 333
Size:  168.8 KBName:  thingengbits1 005.JPG
Views: 330
Size:  167.8 KBName:  thingengbits1 006.JPG
Views: 331
Size:  168.6 KB
    Last edited by CXPHREAK; 09-17-2016 at 04:10 AM.
    izak likes this.

I have a nice clean 82 block sitting on the arm of my chair so I can chase out all the threads tonight.

It took some cleaning. I've had to stone all the gasket faces as it had picked up a few dings floating around but all good now.

Have lopped the factory handling mounts off the front of the motor and will also file these smooth tonight.
    izak likes this.

Have just finished checking new ring gaps in the bores of this block and I'm fairly pleased. It's not quite as new but not too bad. I have checked the gaps of both NPR rings {David Silvers} and those that we had made that are available from Joe Hovel.

Gaps were measured top and bottom of the bore with the rings squared with a spare piston.

The FSM gives a ring gap spec of 4 to 12 thou with a service limit of 24 thou.

This is what I got. NPR rings
    Right cylinder top ring top bore - 15L. Top ring bottom bore - 15T. Bottom ring top bore - 15L. Bottom ring bottom bore - 15T

Left cylinder top ring top bore - 15T. Top ring bottom bore - 15T. Bottom ring top bore - 15. Bottom ring bottom bore - 15T

Joe Hovels ring

Right cylinder top ring top bore - 16T. Top ring bottom bore - 16T. Bottom ring top bore - 16L. Bottom ring bottom bore - 16T.

Left cylinder top ring top bore - 16T. Top ring bottom bore - 15. Bottom ring top bore - 16. Bottom ring bottom bore - 16.

T + L refer to feeler gauge fit.

The difference between the 2 ring sets is negligible.

The bore have a minor degree of ovality and funneling which is reflected in the ring gaps but I have no concerns about using it as is.

Next, to size me some big end bearings.
    izak likes this.

Got the main bearings sized today. Went with black which is appropriate for a B journal with a bearing receiver size of 47 mm even.

Crank installed. Spins nice.

New rings fitted to pistons and pistons fitted to rods using a replacement set of pins and clips. David Silvers blue rod bearings used. Went with the NPR rings.

All thrust faces in good order and rods have 12 thou side clearance.

With pistons and rods installed the motor turns from the crank bolt with about the amount of effort I'd expect so I'm happy with that.

Will install the cam and followers tomorrow and start to clean and inspect the gearbox ready for installation.

The crank/rods/istons and crank cap have all been swapped into this block as everything else will be.

Name:  thingcrankin 006.JPG
Views: 263
Size:  168.3 KBName:  thingcrankin 007.JPG
Views: 264
Size:  166.6 KB
    Name:  thingcrankin 008.JPG
Views: 255
Size:  168.6 KBName:  thingcrankin 009.JPG
Views: 256
Size:  165.8 KB
    jak and izak like this.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links