Took the CX for a little cruise for the first time today. It runs pretty well, which is why I thought it would be a good start for a project bike in the first place. I'm even more excited to tear the engine apart now and give it some love!
A few things I noticed:
1. The CX500 is a fun little bike to ride! Coming from riding late model street bikes, I didn't have high expectations, but knowing that the bike isn't running at its peak I'm excited about it. Putting murray's carbs on these must make them a total blast.
2. In 4th/ 5th gear if I get over a certain rpm (don't know what rpm bc theres no tach, 5-6k maybe?) and punch the throttle the bike boggs down. I think that this may be from a low end jet that is clogged? if I accelerate very lightly from 65-70 thats about as fast as it'll go. but up until that point I don't notice it bogging down. hopefully its just a carb issue.
3. no knocks or strange sounds from the engine
4. Steering bearings are worn out and the forks shake a little bit. This shouldn't be a problem because I'm replacing the forks with new bearings from allballs, but hopefully the races aren't gouged out because I believe the allballs kits use the stock CX races.
5. A friend of mine who rode behind me for a little bit said it smoked a little bit when I got on it? he said he didn't know what color it was, and it may have only been coming out one side. I'm not too sure what to make of this, hopefully its not oil getting past the rings, I was hoping to not have to replace the piston rings (maybe I should?).
6. noticed a tiny little drip of coolant on the rear swingarm. coolant level seems fine, but I will have to verify.
7. there is a wiring harness coming from under the tank to the right side of the forks that seems to be wet with some fluid. not really sure where the fluid is coming from because I don't see a drip from the brake fluid resevoir. The forks have schraeder valves on top and one is a little moist on the right hand side. Maybe the fluid is coming from that? there isn't an obvious leak, but the electrical tape around the harness is coming apart and not sticky anymore because of the unknown fluid.