Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1979 CX500 Custom "Fireball" Build

25K views 106 replies 23 participants last post by  ponishenko3136 
#1 ·
hey all, this is my first thread on here, but this is my second build. first cx but second overall. i built a cb750 cafe racer if someone wants to check it out ill add the link. i picked this bike up nearby, it has 17,XXX miles, clean title, and one owner. it was missing the tank and front end and had some slight mods already to the frame. i kind of have a vision but it will most likely change as i go. and i hope to learn, and get advice from fellow cx owners and fans.
here is the link to my first build: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,146274.0.html
and my instagram is @civilcustoms there are going to be progress pics on there as well
Engine Auto part Vehicle Automotive engine part Fuel line
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Vehicle Motorcycle
Vehicle Auto part Engine Motor vehicle Car
Auto part Motor vehicle Engine Vehicle Fuel line
Auto part Vehicle Tire Engine Automotive tire

See less See more
#2 ·
I looked at your 750 build, it turned out really nice, a very nice build.
Soooo I am expecting great things with the CX500 build.
Keep up the good work.

#6 ·
Looks like a stock radiator to me. You picked the right bike to work on, if they look too nice you'll get berated for destroying a classic!

#8 ·
hey everyone i need some help. I'm thinking of getting a 1982 cb900c front end, it's fairly cheap and seems the easier way to go without modding a bunch to the front, plus i wanna keep the comstar wheel in front to match the rear. my question is will the fork off the 82 cb900c fit into the cx? i know ill have to get bearings to fit that triple tree and stem into the cx. is the stem the same length? thanks

#11 ·
got a 1982 cb900c front end, and a 78 cx500 gas tank. nothing is fitted yet, the front end is on but i might need to shorten it a little, and the gas tank is just resting i decided to go with bbcr engineering style mono shock. different from what i was wanting but decided i like it and it's easier than what i had planned. the cardboard brackets are for an idea and not exactly how the brackets will bbe. next to mock up and make a seat, make the brackets and fit the tank. and then to get the frame ready for paint or powder coat.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

#12 ·
The angle is all wrong, the motor needs to be nearly level with a roughly 7 degree drop in the swing arm. So level out the motor, allow the swing arm to drop by the recommended degrees and then place your shock mounts on the frame AND beef up the swing arm where the shock will mount
trying to help and not hinder your work or what you want to do

#13 ·
appreciate that. this is just sitting right now on blocks while i was putting the front on. i will drop it and make sure its how it should be yes i will be reinforcing the swing arm. thank you for the tip though and it's no hinder. I'm taking all the help i can

#16 ·
did some fabrication today. made a reinforcement plate for the swingarm, lower brackets for the monoshsock, and upper brackets from the frame to the shock. still a few things to fix up and make sure are right but the mock up is done. and i know the angle is still off and nothing is bolted or attached, ill get to that next. i was just making the brackets and stuff today.
Auto part Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Metal
Auto part Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Metal

plasma cut our rough shape Glove Hand Finger Beige Personal protective equipment

Auto part Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Suspension

Auto part

shape of the upper brackets
Wall Concrete Floor Cement Wire

Leg Auto part Automotive wheel system Wheel Chair

clamped in place the upper brackets, swingarm plate and brackets in and the shock sitting there.
Suspension part Suspension Auto part Vehicle Tire

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part

next to make the seat frame and mounting place for the tank

#24 ·
Hey I'm mounting my shock they same way and it squats quite a bit.........................our shock is not meant to be mounted this way and I'm assuming yours isn't either.......... Did you get yours resprung yet or is your shock stiff enough already?

#27 ·
Okay, good to hear that you can reach the ground! Thought your shaft angle was a bit steep as well, but if there's some drop with you on the bike, I guess that it should work.

78 Standard Cafe, 78CX/83GL650 Super Standard, 83 GL650 Half-Naked, 83 GL650 Project

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.