Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1979 CX500 Custom "Fireball" Build

25K views 106 replies 23 participants last post by  ponishenko3136 
#1 ·
hey all, this is my first thread on here, but this is my second build. first cx but second overall. i built a cb750 cafe racer if someone wants to check it out ill add the link. i picked this bike up nearby, it has 17,XXX miles, clean title, and one owner. it was missing the tank and front end and had some slight mods already to the frame. i kind of have a vision but it will most likely change as i go. and i hope to learn, and get advice from fellow cx owners and fans.
here is the link to my first build: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,146274.0.html
and my instagram is @civilcustoms there are going to be progress pics on there as well
Engine Auto part Vehicle Automotive engine part Fuel line
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Vehicle Motorcycle
Vehicle Auto part Engine Motor vehicle Car
Auto part Motor vehicle Engine Vehicle Fuel line
Auto part Vehicle Tire Engine Automotive tire

See less See more
#31 ·
more work done today. rear wheel and swingarm off. some more cutting and grinding on the frame where the lower end of the back of the frame was, ill be plug welding that up and then to sand blast and paint the frame. also took the engine out and made a stand for it. since it has only 17K miles on it and looks in great condition, ill just be changing gaskets and painting it. not going to do a rebuild.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Motorcycle

Vehicle Auto part Car Engine Subcompact car

Auto part Vehicle Machine Steel Pipe

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Vehicle Carburetor

Machine Gas

Auto part Automotive engine part Engine Carburetor

#32 ·
more work done today. rear wheel and swingarm off. some more cutting and grinding on the frame where the lower end of the back of the frame was, ill be plug welding that up and then to sand blast and paint the frame. also took the engine out and made a stand for it. since it has only 17K miles on it and looks in great condition, ill just be changing gaskets and painting it. not going to do a rebuild.
You may have already done this but if the motor is out double check the stator test results and the cam chain tensioner status via a mirror through the inspection port - even though it's low mileage it'll take you all of ten minutes to check both for peace of mind.

#36 ·
thanks JC for advising me to check the cam chain tensioner. took off the back cover and a good inch if not more of the tensioner was in the bottom of the cover. idk if the previous owner rode it like that or just parked when he heard something. but a new one ordered as well as gaskets for everything and a new clutch kit. and the engine will be ready to go
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Machine Vehicle

Auto part Gear Engine Metal Automotive wheel system

ATTACH=CONFIG]68745[/ATTACH]

Attachments

#42 ·
engine about complete. put in a new cam chain tensioner, cleaned everything out, checked the timing, everything adjusted and new gaskets installed and a fresh paint job. i picked a cast iron look which should in theory look good with my intentions of a brown seat and orange paint. no turning back now but will see how things go along and if plans change. there will be some more details going in later but for now this is how it sits
Engine Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle

Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle Carburetor

Auto part Engine Vehicle Machine Automotive engine part

Auto part Engine Motor vehicle Automotive engine part Machine

#52 ·
Lookin' good. Always nice to have those nice new blue walls on the road that first time......like driving a Porsche at first.

#57 ·
not much done, waiting for my brake rotors to come so i can put the front end on, but meanwhile got the "seat pan" or whatever the seat will be on is called done. ill be gluing the foam onto that abs plastic and then upholstering it. got it all shaped and molded to the contour of the frame. hopefully the front end gets done soon so i can put the engine in
Hood Auto part

Handbag Fashion accessory Bag

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.