Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1979 CX500 Custom "Fireball" Build

25K views 106 replies 23 participants last post by  ponishenko3136 
#1 ·
hey all, this is my first thread on here, but this is my second build. first cx but second overall. i built a cb750 cafe racer if someone wants to check it out ill add the link. i picked this bike up nearby, it has 17,XXX miles, clean title, and one owner. it was missing the tank and front end and had some slight mods already to the frame. i kind of have a vision but it will most likely change as i go. and i hope to learn, and get advice from fellow cx owners and fans.
here is the link to my first build: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,146274.0.html
and my instagram is @civilcustoms there are going to be progress pics on there as well
Engine Auto part Vehicle Automotive engine part Fuel line
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Vehicle Motorcycle
Vehicle Auto part Engine Motor vehicle Car
Auto part Motor vehicle Engine Vehicle Fuel line
Auto part Vehicle Tire Engine Automotive tire

See less See more
#60 ·
i love fresh powder coat. did the spring off my shock form white to match the color the bike will be. the hayabusa shock (from above) won't work. i built the mounts and seat frame based on the shock i had. but it looks great and will match well. also got the tank ready for body work, as soon as the gas cap gets in
Chistorra Falukorv Food Sausage Coil spring

Suspension part Auto part Suspension Vehicle Motor vehicle

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Auto part

#62 ·
Gawd dangit you guys. I never really liked the cafe'/bobber/tracker/street fighter stuff.........quit making me change my mind!

#64 ·
Same goes for me, I would never ride one like that but I do appreciate the "artistry" that goes into their creation.

#66 · (Edited)
Didn't see a Link to 750 build did I miss it ?

The Radiator surround is popin in Orange.

looks good.

Usually I think they're ugly,first blacked mine

razzberry's then polishes bigger RAZZZZZZZZZZZberry

Then I just removed it & hung it on the shop wall

it looks best there.

#68 ·
i went and read every post guess its easier to start with #1 .

then I wont ask stupid questions

#69 ·
i dint see any Pix of the completed build.

In progress ?

I have the first Yr. CB650C a gift from little bro. he was moving

It was sitting buried to the rims good thing its an arid climate

It arrived soon after he moved in about 2002 or 3 abandoned

by an acquaintance and would be picked up next week.

The guy never returned for it.

Got it started put on a cool tank covered it and there it sits

some more.

maybe your 750 will inspire and motivate me to finish.

It just needs everything except tank carbs.and coil.

#71 ·
It's been a while since I did any work. Too busy with everything else but the last couple weeks had some time and did a few more little things. Installed the led taillight with turn signals into the frame loop and ran the wiring through the frame. Cut down the front fender, and put it in primer. Welded in a new gas cap and the tank is ready for body work, and a lot of it. Hopefully I'll have some more time soon to do some more work.

Attachments

#72 ·
Nice work on the tail light! Your build is going places I wanted with mine but for some reason I keep changing the design. Its fun to look at everyone's shop and see similarities (like the all balls stickers slapped on random places and revival cycle shipping boxes). Keep up the good work man, from the looks of things I am sure this will finish nicely.

#76 ·
Fender bondoed, primed and painted. I didn't want to paint it the color the tank will be which is the color the radiator bracket is. I think it would look to busy with orange everywhere so I went with good old black

Attachments

#77 ·
haven't worked on the cx in a long time, but getting close. ordered everything to wire up and finish it. need to build an electrical box for everything. i re did the monoshock with a better shock and changed the angle of the lower mounts. mounted a license plate bracket with a few fabbed up parts. repainted the radiator shroud black not to have to much orange everywhere. started bondo on the tank, and found a color i like for paint. got the grips in, all the cables, push button controls for the m-unit. still need to rebuild the brake calipers and probably a few odds and ends here and there but hope to have "fireball" running by june...hopefully. here a few update pics
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire
Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Auto part
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Rim Alloy wheel
Fender Automotive exterior Auto part Metal
Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Auto part Motorcycle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.