Cx-500 From scrapyard - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Cx-500 From scrapyard

The custom needle bearing has now arrived, Test fitted the needle bearing and the protecting axle bearing ( slide ) Slide bearing is made from old bearing outer ring, and as so happens its a perfect fit after little machining job and it was left with a, 0.1 mm indent for lubrication.Name:  IMG_6320.JPG
Views: 280
Size:  398.9 KBName:  IMG_6321.JPG
Views: 281
Size:  463.6 KB

This is the fitting order, This ways the Needle bearing will get all of the lubrication, and when the lubrication has no where else to go it flows through the slider bearing. This is done to keep sufficient oil pressure in the bearing surfaces. especially in the needle bearing compartment since they are susceptible to wear damage if lubrication is lost, This piece will need to hold of lots of forces when the cams are rolling.

Name:  IMG_6322.JPG
Views: 279
Size:  229.1 KBName:  IMG_6323.JPG
Views: 280
Size:  131.0 KB

Made sure that the both bearings find their spot in the axle, after the needle bearing was set ( they are always loose until the male piece connects ) i thrusted the locking slide bearing in place, This prevents the needle bearing from moving horisontally in respect to the axle, next time these come off its time to change the cam. This is a complicated way of doing this, and i sincerely hope that this will prevent all future problems with the camshaft.

Thanks Eetu
    marconumero84 likes this.

Beautiful work.

Does that needle bearing place a restriction on oil bleed {pressure} like the original?
    Rebuilding Handlebar Switches

http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/CXPHREAK/library/Switchgear%20rebuild?sort=6&page=1

Rider 81 500C, Thingy Born a 78Z. Ozdeluxe born an 80 shadow.

GET A MULTIMETER RTFM I am a CX500. If you maintain me I will run forever.

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page

Quote Originally Posted by CXPHREAK View Post
    Beautiful work.

Does that needle bearing place a restriction on oil bleed {pressure} like the original?
    No the oil pressure is being maintained by the slider bearing. Imagine the slide bearing as a oil seal of sort, the oil fils the needle bearing compartment ( needle bearings have a lot of empty space) after this void is filled and oil has no place to go so it starts to find other ways to get out. The end with the fan on is restricted by a seal, the bearing bracket ( aluminum piece ) also has a seal, and the meter spinner has a seal. Only way oil has left is to go through the slider bearing, and the fitment tolerances with the axle this is the piece that creates the sufficient pressure. ( And also it will flow out from the oil ejection "port" i don't see the oil pressure as a problem, I'm more concerned about the debris that comes with engine oil. Flakes of aluminum on the racetrack etc. )
    Last edited by Eetu Höyden; 10-29-2016 at 02:55 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

I don't understand the working of the needle bearing..

Before it was a hydrodynamic lubrication.

Now the needles run directly in the aluminum cover and the cast iron of the cam shaft.

Both materials a much softer then the steel of the needles.

Or it is a fully encapsulated needle bearing ??

I understand your concern, and I have exactly the same concern,can the cam and the casing can withstand the forces applied to them, and how will the bearing combination work if it will will.
    This is first time experiment with this kind of bearing in this kind of application and to be truthful i don't know how will this bearing work until i can test it. Quick calculations i did, tell that there should not be any problem if the lubrication is set. Even with the mixed metals, aluminum has enough structural strength to hold of deformation.

Guelli you will just need to hold on tight, until i will get the engine running. The piece is fortunately really easy to remove and if this does not work, i can always return to hydrodynamic bearing system, removing needle bearing and slide bearing and by machining a new sleeve.

This is at this point experimental. And i will inform you, and everyone in this thread how the bearing works out, i was planning to test it with 100km 1000km and 10,000 riding tests and to see if it works or not.

You will just need to hold on tight.

Eetu

spinnanz likes this.
    Rebuilding Handlebar Switches

http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/CXPHREAK/library/Switchgear%20rebuild?sort=6&page=1

Rider 81 500C, Thingy Born a 78Z. Ozdeluxe born an 80 shadow.

GET A MULTIMETER RTFM I am a CX500. If you maintain me I will run forever.

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page

Eetu

I did this with the broken cam shaft.
    Name:  einzelteile.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  72.0 KB

Name:  passtiftbohrung.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  93.0 KB

I have another broken cam shaft.
    BUT it's broken in the middle of the thread (See red line on the picture of Your cam)
    The broken part with the waterpumo shaft is lost.

Name:  NoWeFinland.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  59.5 KB
    The cams have NO pitting !!
    If You have an idea to repair this, I can send it to Finland, also a good cam aluminium cover.

You just pay the shipping to Finland it's 16,99 Euro.
    Last edited by guelli02; 10-29-2016 at 04:50 AM.

I'm sorry in don't think i understand what you are after?

Do you want me to repair this camshaft for you?
    Or do you wish me to make you a new camshaft cover with these modifications that i just did to mine?
    Or do you want me to Repair it and document the process of doing so?

You could always send me a PM with pictures included, and i will get to it after this Cx has been rebuilt.

Eetu

Quote Originally Posted by Eetu Höyden View Post
    Do you want me to repair this camshaft for you?
    Or do you wish me to make you a new camshaft cover with these modifications that i just did to mine?
    Or do you want me to Repair it and document the process of doing so?
    No, no and no

I was only trying to give you for nothing (except shipping costs) -just as a gift for another member of this forum- a broken camshaft (but with excellent cams) and a good cover if your repair does not last long.
    CXPHREAK, nolimitz and OCR like this.

The seals and the needed parts have now arrived.

The engine and the overall project was on slight hold for few weeks. Thanks to some sudden electrical problems on my other bike. But those are now dealt with and its full steam ahead in the finishing work for the engine.

The engine was mostly built in the workshop. Then i went ahead and decided that the finishing painting and final assembly will be done in my apartment. Took her to the movies and gave her a massage. Bought nice flowers, and the she asked what i wanted. "What machine this time?" I humbly told her that i want to bring the engine in to the " man cave " in our house. After persuasion and vacuuming and housework i was finally allowed to bring the engine home for final assembly and detail painting ( These take time, and i don't have lots of spare time at the moment.)

Name:  IMGP0083 kopio.JPG
Views: 219
Size:  541.7 KBName:  IMGP0087 kopio.JPG
Views: 222
Size:  1.24 MB

God this thing weighs, and it does not even have the fluids in it yet!

Some few pictures of about to be installed parts. I was not happy with the paint quality that the HONDA logos had so i will repaint them and they will be the last piece to go in.

Name:  IMGP0062 kopio.JPG
Views: 227
Size:  1.12 MBName:  IMGP0138 kopio.JPG
Views: 227
Size:  1,020.3 KB

The thermal paint applied rejects water droplets. This addition in the paint is the part that causes the parts to have this matt surface finish. And you can see how i left every single sign of use in to the engine. If i would have removed these signs i think that part of the engines soul would have been stripped off, I like the mixture of modern and still recycled / previously owned look.

Name:  IMGP0134 kopio.JPG
Views: 219
Size:  1.05 MBName:  IMGP0137 kopio.JPG
Views: 222
Size:  1.47 MB

I had the same problem that probably 10,000 cx owners had too, The mechanical seal cup was wrong size for the old engine. Some gentle heat from torch helped me to break this glue that was used to adhere the piece to the stainless cup. Quick rub with 480 sandpaper and a nice dab of Lock-tite in conjunction with little weight from BB-gun pellets and the piece is sturdy and solid fit. i Don't know if the adhesion is even required, but better to play it safe since the replacement piece was secured with adhesive.

Name:  IMGP0135 kopio.JPG
Views: 225
Size:  1.17 MB

( This is taken before mechanical seal installation! )

This is the point i have proceeded for now. I'm still waiting for the G8 Stator and after that engine will be ready for final assembly and first run.
    In the meantime i will start the frame job. This Build series will now split in 2 there will be the engine finishes as the pieces arrive and at the same time i will be updating the frame progress.

Thanks for reading Eetu.
    fabioregg69 and CXPHREAK like this.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links