Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Cx-500 From scrapyard

Hey here again!

So about those files.
    Name:  IMGP1154 kopio.JPG
Views: 250
Size:  1.08 MB

I did this quick uv penetrating fluid inspection to the swing arm, the uv images are really poor quality, there is nothing i can do about this, its the camera not the user! marked the sports i was a bit curious this is in normal light

Name:  IMGP1158 kopio.JPG
Views: 246
Size:  1.04 MB
    Name:  IMGP1159 kopio.JPG
Views: 248
Size:  1.03 MB

This is what the penetration fluid looks like under uv light. ( before the actual inspection )

Name:  IMGP1168 kopio.JPG
Views: 245
Size:  804.7 KB
    Name:  IMGP1172 kopio.JPG
Views: 247
Size:  867.9 KB

This is picture of the seam, on the underside of swing, i was curious if the exes welding in this area could have induced cracks, but on quick glance everything was ok. ( I did not bother to clean the fluid to extreme since this is not a job site and these are used for my own inspections only and i can see already from this level of cleaning everything i need to )

Name:  IMGP1188 kopio.JPG
Views: 241
Size:  1.01 MB

In all and all factory welds seems to be pretty solid for 80s machine. Surprising in a pleasant way.

Thanks and see you guys next week!

Eetu.

I startted to chop the frame and started to design the support frame for the rear suspension system. All modifications to the rear swing are halted for the duration of the plans.
    Main frame and the "rear cage " has been cut of from the main body, This is done to free space and ease the fitment and design of the rear shock mounts. I will use 3D design software to design the pieces. this might take some time.

There was a lot of rust inside the frame pipes, obviously from the neglect.
    Name:  IMGP1230 kopio.JPG
Views: 215
Size:  1.14 MB

Spores and the overall parts on the side, and center stand are in awful condition. These pieces will not be used on this motorcycle. If You are interested i can sandblast these and send them to you via DHL or UPS If you people are interested in these Pm.

Name:  IMGP1233 kopio.JPG
Views: 213
Size:  840.3 KBName:  IMGP1236 kopio.JPG
Views: 217
Size:  839.8 KBName:  IMGP1237 kopio.JPG
Views: 211
Size:  985.5 KBName:  IMGP1238 kopio.JPG
Views: 204
Size:  877.6 KB

This is the condition of the rear rim interior. There is not much cheering to do at this point. Rim has not seen any maintenance in who knows for how long.

Name:  IMGP1240 kopio.JPG
Views: 210
Size:  1.17 MB

This is the recycling bin if you want the front fork for restoration. Pm.

Name:  IMGP1241 kopio.JPG
Views: 208
Size:  581.0 KB

The frame looks, to be honest it looks pathetic as it sits. I'm hoping to start modifications to it soon.

Name:  IMGP1242 kopio.JPG
Views: 207
Size:  1.11 MB

Thanks for reading
    Eetu.
    Last edited by Eetu Höyden; 03-06-2017 at 04:28 AM.
    OCR and flyinelvis like this.

Hello,

I'm severely late on these updates, but i do have a good excuse. I had to leave the shop, due landlord wanting the space for his own use, and i had to relocate all my stuff. ( How can human have so much stuff? )

The project is back on track and the 3d pictures are coming along great, These pictures are made to dimensions within 1mm to any given direction. making these is extreme time-consuming and one simple piece can eat trough entire days worth of hrs. Please be patient with it! Thanks!

I modeled the BMW-Sachs spring, and the rear swing, I have the frame finished by the end of this week, and next updates can be expected by sunday 09.04.2017 ( Then we should be able to see the "big picture" )

Name:  CX ISKARI.PNG
Views: 149
Size:  713.3 KBName:  KUVIA.PNG
Views: 146
Size:  1.19 MBName:  Sieppaa.PNG
Views: 143
Size:  1.01 MB

The reason I'm taking this slowly, is that i have no rush in getting this thing to the road, i want to do this proper not some half assed welded junk. By modeling this bike i can possibly give something to the community, or maybe someone can use these images as a reference when designing own projects? who knows

Possible lines and dimensions shown in these pictures might not represent the real values ( altho some of them are correct in the pictures ), they are pictures taken during the design and they are for my own reference you also see some reference lines drawn around the images, they are for my own convenience and they do not effect the pieces, in any way during the coming up stress testing.

The rear swing was much harder to model than the spring/shock itself. quick glance with the experienced eye at the swing shows the center support missing in the design. The real center support is still in place and i can hear rust rattling inside there so it has to go. By not including it here at all I can play around with it and design different solution for the suspension, i have a clear picture in my head of what it should look like, but I'm not entirely convinced if it fits the "look" of the bike. ( If someone wants i can model the original piece in there too )

Here is some basic mash up and fitment done to the pieces. The rear swing without bearings i can install them inside the picture after everything else is done.

Name:  swingi dd.PNG
Views: 155
Size:  1.12 MBName:  swingi koko paska.PNG
Size:  907.0 KBName:  swingi.PNG
Size:  760.6 KBName:  taka swingi.PNG
Views: 150
Size:  1,011.6 KB
    Name:  Sieppaa djdj.PNG
Views: 148
Size:  729.7 KB

Sorry, for the long wait. I do hope this is worth the time its taking to make these.

Eetu.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

It's above my pay grade, but I'm sure the effort will please many eyes, at least, if not aspiring guru's. Nice work.
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 61
    No more stable, no more ride for me.

G-Loria's Story I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands.

Forum Settings that everyone should make

Photo and Video posting Tips

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's
    with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

Why didn't you just buy a used camshaft on eBay for $25? Lots of work to fix a pretty knackered hunk of metal when a good used one is dirt cheap.

Charles.
    Visit my Blog: Modified Motorcycles By ChopperCharles at http://choppercharles.com

I Enjoy the difficulty in it. Yes at some point the workload overcomes the fun in restoring things, but when that point comes the pieces are in extremely rough condition. When building the engine i treated it like it was unique.

Eetu

Good work on the model! I just did a quick and dirty model, to prove I could actually cram the sachs spring in the back. Did you make that entirely from hand measurements? That must have taken a while.

What version of solidworks are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by big1000 View Post
    Good work on the model! I just did a quick and dirty model, to prove I could actually cram the sachs spring in the back. Did you make that entirely from hand measurements? That must have taken a while.

What version of solidworks are you running?
    Yes i did use hand measurements to make the model, triple checking the dimensions and the reference points that were used constantly take a lot of time. you just can't get the curves right if you don't make enough detailed work with the curve dimensions etc. And the confirmation checks with reference points oh boy...

I have 2 older is from 2012, and this one is from 2015 or 16, can't remember at the moment.

Ok,

As promised, still have 20 minutes left on the clock. Phew

The frame modeling is under way, and current frame shown in these pictures is still a work in progress, many dimensions will be altered and pieces added to the frame. This is not ready yet. Main frame build time at this point well over +10 hrs. probably will need another 8-10 hrs to complete it and make the dimensions right.

I could not resist to a simple mockup, with existing parts. (Not in any way in correct locations.)

Name:  lissaa runkoa.PNG
Views: 94
Size:  1.06 MBName:  mallausta runko ja iskari.PNG
Views: 92
Size:  1.02 MBName:  runkoa rakennettu.PNG
Views: 96
Size:  828.6 KBName:  runkoa uusi kuva.PNG
Views: 89
Size:  1.46 MB

Next update will most probably be by the next sunday.

Thanks for reading.

Eetu

" Edit some spelling errors corrected "
    Last edited by Eetu Höyden; 04-09-2017 at 02:45 PM.
    flyinelvis, Malinwah and OCR like this.

Wow Eetu...wow!!

Your skill and knowledge is unimaginable!!

I am a self taught techie...(definately no mechanic..but I can replace parts and do services, and various other minor stuff / replacements)...and I have a CX project waiting for me to start...
    So your information in your posts, together with the detailed pictures....is of un-measurable value to someone like me...and I'm sure to some others as well...so thank you a million times!!!

It really assists in understanding how everything looks from the inside, and how things fit together.

Keep up the good work! So much fun to follow your build!
    In the Garage
    1980 Honda CX 500 (Also known as Honda CX 500 A)
    1981 Honda CB 750 K
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX 6 R

Is the casing for the drive shaft not on the wrong side in those last drawings??

Or am I missing something here..lol...??

Is the drive shaft not always on the right, as you sit on the bike...on all CX's?
    nolimitz likes this.
    In the Garage
    1980 Honda CX 500 (Also known as Honda CX 500 A)
    1981 Honda CB 750 K
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX 6 R

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Sponsored Links