Cx-500 From scrapyard
Close

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Cx-500 From scrapyard

Cx-500 From scrapyard

Hello,

This build thread will most likely be filled with grammar errors and nice pictures ( who wouldn't love pictures )

I Found out few months backwards about this Honda CX-500 Motorcycle that was abandoned at some random car scrapyard. And Without much of thought i decided that this ugly piece of bike, will be my next project.

Name:  IMG_6054.JPG
Views: 757
Size:  2.62 MB

The condition of the bike was appalling. Water had flooded the left cylinder carburetors were shit, and all of it smelled like ass. It didn't have a gas tank front tyre was missing, front shocks were totaled and to top it all up rear wheel was punctured, just like a final insult. In other words many of the key components were missing.

Name:  IMG_6053.JPG
Views: 783
Size:  2.95 MB

And i was the fool who drove 500 kilometers to get it, And thats not counting the way back home.
    I had a few moments of insanity ( or love ) and bought the thing, ended up paying 200€ for it...

Brought the bike to the shop, and first i spayed the entire thing with WD-40, just to release some of the rust that had accumulated to every single piece made from iron. The overall condition of the engine was surprisingly good, i was expecting much more of a hassle with this.

Name:  IMG_6097.JPG
Views: 748
Size:  2.55 MB

I was able to release heads from the engine with relative ease. At this point i decided to chop this project in to smaller portions.

The engine was a massive undertaking ( still going strong ) so i decided to leave the engine for a moment and fix the carburetors before i was about to do anything to the engine. Carbs had seen better days you guys are familiar with all those little passages that carry fuel?
    They were filled with greenish fluid that had done miracles to the brass injection nozzles fuel bowls full of it. I was so furious about the setbacks, that forgot to take pictures of this greenish liquid.

Name:  IMGP1537.JPG
Views: 714
Size:  4.92 MB

Anyways, the result was to buy all the things inside. And i really mean everything, the parts were so badly corroded, that i could not do anything to save them. I did try soda blasting and the damage had seeped so deep that i was easier just to change them. When i was breaking down the carburetors many of the screws failed, and few even had stripped threads. Screw heads were mangled and i had to go and get my impact driver in order to get them out, Some gentle drilling was conducted as well.

After about 20-30 hours i was finally done with the soda blasting and clearing the passages re threading, double and triple checking everything and the fuel was running. I went and changed the carburetor screws to A4 grade bolts. If i ever needed to re open the carburetors figured that i would be able to avoid the use of impact driver. Even if the carburetors went through abuse. Name:  IMGP1529.JPG
Views: 720
Size:  999.8 KBName:  IMG_6090 kopio.JPG
Views: 730
Size:  1.64 MB

Name:  IMGP1550 kopio.JPG
Views: 637
Size:  4.68 MB

I will Proceed next with the cylinder heads, I will most likely update at some point in the next week.
    If there are any questions you are free to ask. If you guys wish to see more detailed pictures of each step send me a message in here!

Thanks.

Eetu Höyden
    OCR, spinnanz, CXPHREAK and 4 others like this.

Profanity and anal essence aside (as it is not appreciated here), good luck with the resurrection and welcome to the forum(I hope).
    cx650c/cx500/gl500/gl650
    gearshift spring #4 on microfiche:http://www.ebay.com/itm/141622820137...84.m1555.l2649

I eagerly await what this bike will turn into!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hello,

fogelsvillejoe, Your point is now noted.

I went off and started with the heads after the carburetors were set and clean.
    The heads in these pictures and texts might cross and the pictures are not in specific order, since i see these as a one component ( or assembly )

First things first. Heads had to be removed in order to asses their overall condition. I had my doubts about this, since the carburetors were already flooded and i could see the water behind the intake valves.
    Name:  IMGP1571 kopio.JPG
Views: 627
Size:  1.07 MB
    Name:  IMG_6123 kopio.JPG
Views: 614
Size:  2.55 MB

Lovely, At this point i already new that the valve seats would most probably be toast. If salvable it would require huge amounts of work. As i was looking the overall condition of the heads, i found out clear signs of running out of oil, and some basic weather damage to the exterior casting. Nothing too hard there.

Name:  IMGP1566 kopio.JPG
Views: 610
Size:  981.2 KB
    Name:  IMGP1576 kopio.JPG
Views: 553
Size:  4.64 MB

At first glance you can see that the exhaust valveguides were run without sufficient oil. Intake tends to deal with less oil because it has the cooling factor from intake air. Since exhaust side does not have the chilling breeze they need good lubrication. This damage is most likely done by combination effect bad seals and too little oil and you will have engine that looks like this. Also the accumulation of debris and carbon in the combustion chamber is a sign of oil failure / contamination with water. I don't know at this point what could have caused this. My fingers are pointing to the last owner and his inability in oil-change. But there is a possibility of mechanical failure.

I went of and decided that the best step is to bead-blast the shit out of these parts no mercy. Clean them up and then asses the next course of action.

Name:  IMG_6121 kopio.JPG
Views: 591
Size:  2.19 MB

The results speak for themselves. It took me 3hrs per head and one head uses 2-3 kg's of glass beads but i would do it anytime. Imagine the work and time spent if would have needed to wire brush these. I still need to resurface all of the sealing surfaces, but i feel like thats a small price to pay for the cleaning

Name:  IMG_6122 kopio.JPG
Views: 605
Size:  2.32 MB

Closer look at at the valve seats. Needles to say about the pitting. Exhaust valve guides resembled more like McDonald's‎ straws ( in shape vise )

What i have gotten my self in.

Name:  IMGP1575 kopio.JPG
Views: 572
Size:  438.0 KB

Name:  IMG_6132 kopio.JPG
Views: 578
Size:  2.52 MBName:  IMG_6133 kopio.JPG
Views: 579
Size:  2.71 MB
    Everything isn't lost This is one of the valves, i quickly wrote a re surfacing program on my little Emco cnc machine and run the valves through it.
    Mainly to remove some of the heavy pitting, Some of the valves were pitted deeper than i feared to go within the lathe. So some of the valves still have some pits in the face area. But generally they were re machined and polished with steel wool to give them this appearance. Valves were dipped in oil and left to a side to wait for re installation and grinding

Thanks for reading.

Eetu Höyden
    MobileAZN likes this.

As i was looking the overall condition of the heads, i found out clear signs of running out of oil,
    If the heads are running out of oil how the crank shaft and rod bearings would look like ?

How about pitting marks on the top of the valves ?

The valve seats need a new milling with the both angles.

If the signs of running out of oil at the heads is the wear to the rocker pins, - this is, unfortunately, almost 'normal'.

Other than a little extra clatter they don't seem to notice it all that much.

You can swap the pins over and run them upside down to rock on the unworn face. The rocker bush doesn't wear very much.
    Rebuilding Handlebar Switches

Rider 81 500C, Thingy Born a 78Z. Ozdeluxe born an 80 shadow.

GET A MULTIMETER RTFM I am a CX500. If you maintain me I will run forever.

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's with addendums

Quote Originally Posted by CXPHREAK View Post
    To set the corrct valve clearance will be hard. ....and harder when the top of the valves and the adjuster screw have pitting.

You can swap the pins over and run them upside down to rock on the unworn face.
    To swap from the in to the ex side.

The rocker bush doesn't wear very much.
    I measured a lot of them. Allways the bushes were oval but not round.

Quote Originally Posted by guelli02 View Post
    If the heads are running out of oil how the crank shaft and rod bearings would look like ?

How about pitting marks on the top of the valves ?

The valve seats need a new milling with the both angles.
    The tops of the valves and adjusting tappets have been ground to a flat again, finished with hand grinding using a fine oil stone. Deepest pitting was not more than a 0,1mm and this is easily removable with a bit of elbow grease. I'm sorry i haven't taken pictures about the process of regrinding the valves and the tappets. I was not expecting anyone to be interested in it. What i can offer you Is a picture of a valve top. Let me know if you wish to see something else. The end grinding was done by hand with a setting sleeve to make sure the angle is with on 89,75 and 90,25 degrees. Made sure with gauge and all grinds check out proper.

I also made this little Wobble tool to grind tappets, the adjusting end of each tappet has this slight dome shape. I just machined little tool to fit tappet in and when ground in figure 8 pattern the tappet had enough space to wobble just to make this perfect arc.

Name:  IMGP1663.JPG
Views: 549
Size:  767.7 KB

Crank bearings are a thing in the future, first i finish the work on the head and the rocker asemblies then i will move on.

Seats will be taken care of.

If the signs of running out of oil at the heads is the wear to the rocker pins, - this is, unfortunately, almost 'normal'.

You can swap the pins over and run them upside down to rock on the unworn face. The rocker bush doesn't wear very much.
    I Base my speculation on the lack of oil, in 3 major points
    1. Overall burn and charring marks in the areas where the combustion process should not reach. ( carbon buildups ) ( heat caused by shitty and insufficient oil )
    2. The Scrapyard owners told me that the was ridden in there. ( I'm not sure if i believe this ) When taking out the oil there was less than 0,5 liters just enough to keep the engine barely running. And when i say barely i don't mean that you can ride with it. Bike was most probably abused and when it called quits they dumped it.
    3.The engine did not have cooling fluids in the circulation ( some dabs of water ) Maybe overheating took care of it?

Rest i will need to take closer look on.

You are correct on the rockers, bushings in there don't actually need that much oil. They are quite fine.

If you think it has been low on oil roll it over TDC on each side and see if you can push the piston down.

The rod bearings usually fail in an oil starvation event or extended running in filthy oil.
    Rebuilding Handlebar Switches

Rider 81 500C, Thingy Born a 78Z. Ozdeluxe born an 80 shadow.

GET A MULTIMETER RTFM I am a CX500. If you maintain me I will run forever.

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's with addendums

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links