1980 CX500 Deluxe Cafe build
Close

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 1980 CX500 Deluxe Cafe build

1980 CX500 Deluxe Cafe build

Hey guys!

I'm new here and this is my first post! (Moved this thread from Technical to Build)
    I just picked up a 1980 CX500 Deluxe for a winter project! This is my first bike that I will be stripping down and turning into a cafe style bike. I've removed everything so far so I'm able to pull the engine tomorrow night!

Right now I've got a few questions that I'm hoping you guys can help me out with!
    (My serial/VIN numbers from frame and motor "match" and confirm this is a 80'

I'm planing on doing a battery reposition so I can clear the gorgeous "hole" under the seat behind the engine. I've read about under engine mounts for the battery where the "H box" was (**I'm replacing the original exhaust with some more streamline with a single pipe**) or I've also seen some people putting a lithium or gel battery under the seat in the space behind the CDI. Any thoughts or recommendations on this process? Please feel free to give your input!

I can't wait for your guy's input and recommendations!!!! Hope you enjoy the progress of this build through my pictures as much as I will, while being elbows deep!

Here are some pictures of her from the other day before I stripped her down to get ready for the engine removal!

***update***
    Engine is out of the bike, time to replace the stator and see if I can get it to start.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by Eggie; 11-03-2016 at 10:18 PM.
    OCR and MobileAZN like this.

I went with a shorai battery mounted in a custom box where the exhaust box use to be. Battery is light and can be mounted on its side, just be careful with charging any of the lithium's, they require a special style of tender. A standard style tender can ruin one quickly.
    Eggie likes this.
    1991 Honda Nighthawk 750 - Cafe Build (semi-complete)
    1980 Honda CX500C - Cafe/Bobber Build "Carbon Dated" (complete)
    1980 Honda CX500D - (beginning stages of designing build, its gonna be interesting)

Also read up on a g8 stator w/ ignitech unit. This combination is utilized by many on here and is considered a great upgrade compared to the old CDI Unit. I'm new to this model of bike as well and just finished my first build. There are many knowledgeable people on here that helped me greatly and I'm sure they will be of great assistance to you too.
    Eggie likes this.
    1991 Honda Nighthawk 750 - Cafe Build (semi-complete)
    1980 Honda CX500C - Cafe/Bobber Build "Carbon Dated" (complete)
    1980 Honda CX500D - (beginning stages of designing build, its gonna be interesting)

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Swayze View Post
    Also read up on a g8 stator w/ ignitech unit. This combination is utilized by many on here and is considered a great upgrade compared to the old CDI Unit. I'm new to this model of bike as well and just finished my first build. There are many knowledgeable people on here that helped me greatly and I'm sure they will be of great assistance to you too.
    Yeah everyone seems to be really helpful and knowledgeable on here. Im glad I stumbled across this forum!
    Also yeah, I've been doing some research on the ignitech unit, I plan on eventually going that way but I'm probably going to wait until the next group buy occurs. Hopefully that happens sooner than later!

Before you buy an ignitech, look into the Ray-san module. It's new but member built and supported. There have been a number of igintech failures lately. Contact Ray or search ray-san
    Welcome to our world.
    83 GLI650 carport find

1982 GL500i Daily rider
    1982 GL500 Father/Son winter project. The green hornet! Alive and well!

Mike Nixon's carb book
    Larry Cargill's carb book
    Factory service Manual

Motor is completely removed now working on getting this old stator out! (Previous owner was a fan of silicone...)

JC
    Good to see some sandwich bags in the background there for putting parts in in an organised fashion! Always makes things easier...

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    Good to see some sandwich bags in the background there for putting parts in in an organised fashion! Always makes things easier...
    That's the only thing I need sand which bags for! Well unless my beer can gets a huge hole in it and I don't have a cup near by hahah

**UPDATE 11-3-16****
    Forgot to mention this earlier.

**previous owner told me he thought the only thing that needed replaced was the stator, but didn't mention the fact of him replacing it or even digging into the motor.....*****

I got around to taking the rear housing off tonight and getting access to the stator..

Whelp, the previous owner was correct.... but he obviously knew why...

I'm going to assume he was the one who installed a brand new stator but did a half ass job routing the wires. The reason why the bike won't start is because his wire placement interfered with the rotor and gashed the hell out of them : (See pictures below)

Now I'm just waiting for my new stator and wiring to arrive so I can do this properly once and for all.

I'd chop the wires off that and test it. If it seems OK it could have the wires replaced.

When you fit the new stator do the stator tests and record the figures. They likely won't be the same as the OEM figures and you'll need a baseline for testing it if you have problems further down the track. While you're at it post them here and I'll add the figures for that stator to the wiki.
    Rebuilding Handlebar Switches

Rider 81 500C, Thingy Born a 78Z. Ozdeluxe born an 80 shadow.

GET A MULTIMETER RTFM I am a CX500. If you maintain me I will run forever.

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's with addendums

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links