Micah's rear inspired build - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Micah's rear inspired build

thanks Micah, I was worried the cut out would spoil the look but I am happy with it.
    Motomicah likes this.

Its more in-house shenanigans. Its too cold in the garage for fibreglass, so I have had a quiet word with her in doors and she has said I can fibreglass the seatbase in the kitchen, but I have to clean the kitchen floor afterwards. Is a small price to pay, although I am not sure she is going to have the same view after she gets out of bed this morning and is faced with the fumes from polyester resin.
    Penance could be steep.

Eetu Höyden, Motomicah and OCR like this.

I am really happy with the seat base. So I have taken the frame for powder coating. Whilst that is away I will finish putting the engine back together

and turn my attention to the front end.
    I've picked up a set of street triple USD forks which look really good. There is an allballs kit for mounting and the next decision is to which front wheel. The Triumph wheel is 17" which with the slightly shorter triumph forks will drop the front end by 2". To maintain geometry and keep the look I am researching ways of keeping the 19" wheel and I think it is possible without too much trouble.
    issues
    1. swap to 20mm bearings and make associated spacers
    2. use a gsx r1100 front disc which is the correct 310mm diameter, has a 22.5mm offset and a 64mm diameter hole. The comstar has a 58mm hole so I will machine a 3mm spacer for the centre. the outer face to outer face disk measurement on the triumph is 133mm. The comstar hub is 70mm and that with the discs leaves me 10mm short so just need a 5mm shim behind the disc
    OCR and Motomicah like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

You should glass in an under tray for various things. I can't believe you glassed in your house though and poly at that. Just mix it a little hot and get some $10 heat lamps so you can do it in the garage.

Still waiting for the frame to come back from the powder coaters. So have cracked on with the engine which is nearly back together.

Ive bought a spare comstar front wheel from a cb900f and bored out the hub to accept a larger spacer. Then machined a new central spacer and outer spacers and fitted 20mm bearings. Picked up some cheap disks from ebay from gsf1100 and they look spot on when I make a 6mm spacer.

Motomicah likes this.

This is looking awesome and damn that front end looks good. Can't wait for more updates.
    Wasaga Beach, ON, Canada

1981 Honda CX500 Custom
    Named: TBD

Nice job on the rear hoop. I've been trying to get inspired to do mine and I think that Micahs' pan and your idea is the way to go.
    Motomicah likes this.
    1981 CX500A
    1982 CX500C
    2013 Triumph Tiger Sport 1050

Being British is about driving a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, then travelling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

Frame back, so I have shoved a few things on as a trial to see how it is looking.

and the front

the only mod I have done to the forks is cut off the original stops and put in some new ones
    Motomicah and jak like this.

All spacers now in the front wheel. The 6mm spacer behind the disks is spot on. Need to sort out some sort of mudguard for the front and then crack on with the rear and make start on the electrics

Motomicah and OCR like this.

picked up a pair of silencers from a triumph triple. They look excellent and I have just turned the bracket upside down. not sure whether to leave stainless or spray black and gold.....

cx500slacker, OCR and Motomicah like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links