Micah's rear inspired build
Close

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Micah's rear inspired build

Micah's rear inspired build

After being inspired by Micah and all credit needs to go to him, I am going to try and build a reasonable looking bike.
    I like to have a project over the winter months and after restoring a classic AJS last year, it is time for something from another era.

So the plan is to achieve something that looks half decent and with some of the amazing builds on this forum, the design aspect is easy. As above I think Micah has a very nice rear end and that will be the basis.

One of the major design briefs is to try and get the number/license plate to fit in with the build.

The build is currently split in to two parts, the frame and engine work.

The bike was your typical ebay purchase and was said to have been stood for a number of years. I decided I would take the engine apart to assess condition and that is were my troubles began.

The first problem was the layer of epoxy at the rear of the waterpump housing. Has the impellar been put on at some point without the washer, which has then cracked the rear housing? Or any other reasons for a dirty great crack? I know from previous engine woes that water in oil is not a winning combination and so it was not surprising to find that the bores were not in the best of shape.

So first job was to source a new block and rear housing, which wasn’t difficult and it was off to the aquablaster, bores honed and things are looking a bit better

Motomicah and OCR like this.

Even though I may be a bit biased, I am still excited to see how your build goes! Looks like you're off to a great start, and this forum is your best friend for every aspect of the bike!
    Good call on sourcing a new block and rear cover, sometimes it's hard to diagnose what happened, and can be even harder to fix.
    Last edited by Motomicah; 11-29-2016 at 09:10 PM.

• 1980 Honda CX500C
    "As I lay rubber down the street, I ask for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, I pray that nothing happens to my sweet ride"

"Thread Jack"............I don't recall seeing any pics of Micah's rear end.... :toothy9:
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 61
    No more stable, no more ride for me.

G-Loria's Story I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands.

Forum Settings that everyone should make

Photo and Video posting Tips

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's
    with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Oh ..... I deleted those ......
    Rebuilding Handlebar Switches

Rider 81 500C, Thingy Born a 78Z. Ozdeluxe born an 80 shadow.

GET A MULTIMETER RTFM I am a CX500. If you maintain me I will run forever.

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's with addendums

Oh, you mean this rear end?!
    :bootyshake:
    OCR likes this.

• 1980 Honda CX500C
    "As I lay rubber down the street, I ask for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, I pray that nothing happens to my sweet ride"

No, no, no this is Micah's famous and well rounded rear end. well at least the start of it. I have also had a couple of brackets laser cut to mount the number plate

I have also followed the holy book (that would be Larry's) and refurbished the carbs.

OCR, Motomicah and nolimitz like this.

Its also amazing what you can get away with when the wifes out. The carbs were done on the dining room table. and I turned the bathroom in to a spray booth for the engine block. Afterwards it went in the oven to harden the engine paint. I just managed to get the smell out before she returned home from shopping.
    OCR and Motomicah like this.

Yours are made of solid brass my friend... my wife's shopping trips are very short duration and I would have been busted big time.

Quote Originally Posted by ianjenn View Post
    Its also amazing what you can get away with when the wifes out. The carbs were done on the dining room table. and I turned the bathroom in to a spray booth for the engine block. Afterwards it went in the oven to harden the engine paint. I just managed to get the smell out before she returned home from shopping.
    83 GLI650 carport find

1982 GL500i Daily rider
    1982 GL500 Father/Son winter project. The green hornet! Alive and well!

Mike Nixon's carb book
    Larry Cargill's carb book
    Factory service Manual

So here it is, my interpretation of the Micah rear with a slight tweak. I am please with the look. I welded in place and then brazed up the sides to get a square look. Hopefully it will blend quite nicely after powder coating. So it is on to sorting out the mounting of electrics

Motomicah likes this.

Oooooooo that's clever, how did I not think of that! I forgot to mention that the one thing I wish I had more of on my bike was tire clearance, but you solved that nicely. I think your rear will actually turn out nicer than mine haha! I may have to go back and make some mods on my own bike after you're finished with yours

• 1980 Honda CX500C

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links