CX500slacker's 1981 Custom Build - Page 23
Close

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: CX500slacker's 1981 Custom Build

Having a buddy ride it past you is a good idea. Aside from hearing what it sounds like it will also give you an opportunity to see if anything is moving that shouldn't be.
    Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr)
    Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/Veloural)
    Eccles: The Never Ending Build
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI
    FORUM SETTINGS EVERYONE SHOULD MAKE

That is a good point. When I said I wanted ti louder I think I may have used the wrong words, I don't want to have people in my area hate me or dislike my bike I just want to enjoy the sound of the engine while riding. Last night was very relaxing going for a ride. great feeling.
    Wasaga Beach, ON, Canada

1981 Honda CX500 Custom
    Named: TBD

So I went out for a ride a couple days in a row and noticed that my RH mirror keep swinging towards me. I tried to tighten it but the nut just spins so I removed it and the main mounting bolt is stripped completely out. These mirrors were an amazon set that have LED turn signals in them. I liked them but originally I was hoping for running lights that also signaled and that wasn't to be. I have now ordered bar end mirrors that have no wiring to fool with. They should also offer the front end a slightly lower profile which will be OK.
    Wasaga Beach, ON, Canada

1981 Honda CX500 Custom

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Are the threads in the master cylinder are stripped or is it part of the mirror mounting?
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI

The Mirror Mounting hardware the MC is fine
    Wasaga Beach, ON, Canada

1981 Honda CX500 Custom

The master cylinder's thread is an ordinary M10 (1.25 IIRC).

What is on the mirror? I can't tell from the pics - is it a threaded shaft like the original? a stud that screws into the piece on the end of the mirror stalk? a bolt that goes through the piece on the end of the mirror stalk? I'm thinking that maybe it could be fixed....
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI

Yes it is a small thread that uses and M8 nut and that is the part that is stripped. The other issue I was finding is that when I look in my mirrors half of the mirror is taken up by my elbow. I have adjusted them in various ways to negate that but I keep finding that I see more of my arm than I do behind me unless I lean slightly. I think the bar end mirrors should correct that as they start further out on the bars. I am not discarding the current mirrors I am just going to replace them and if ever I decide to go back I can fix or replace the part and use them again.
    Wasaga Beach, ON, Canada

1981 Honda CX500 Custom

Yeah. I might be able to come up with a fix if I was looking at them... or maybe not

Seeing more of you than you do of what is around you is always a problem on bikes and it gets worse when you have lower bars. Bar end mirrors might help. If not you might need to find something with longer stalks.

I have a different problem: I have tops on both sidecars that were designed so that my 6'+ son could sit upright in them and it I had problems seeing over them. I ended up with very unconventional mirror setups that work acceptably.
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI

I just got my bar end mirrors, I am going to try and install them tonight depending on how I feel (been sick for the past few days). once installed I will see how they feel and how my view is.
    Wasaga Beach, ON, Canada

1981 Honda CX500 Custom

So I got the new bar end mirrors on and I have to say they are 100% better in every aspect. Ok 99% better because they vibrate a bit more than the previous mirrors and sometimes Im not sure if I am being followed by a car or some sort of strobe light space ship lol. But overall I can still see behind me with the vibration and the lower the profile of the bike a little more which actually looks much better IMO. I am hoping to get out tomorrow for a quick ride and I am hoping to take a couple pictures and maybe even do a couple videos.

On the "loudness" of my exhaust, my wife and mother in law were following me during my ride saturday and they said in the car directly behind me with the windows up they couldn't hear the pipes at all. I have been cautiously working my way through various different riding situations like accelerating quickly in the event I need to merge in to traffic (from what everyone tells me the bike lives above 5k) and while they were following me I had the tach up around 7500 for a second or two and hot damn this bike pulls. Even at that point they said they could barely hear the bike. I am still going to make a couple videos so I can hear it myself but I think that opening the pipes by drilling out the soft plugs won't ruin too many peoples day if it is as quiet as they say.

**NOTE: I think they probably had no idea what they were listening to or had music on because on the bike it had some snort but not to a point where I can't hear other things around me. Also above I sound excited, because I am... My first bike and I thought an '81 500 would be fun to ride around on as a little learner bike, but I think this bike has much more than it shows from the appearance. Now I don't think it will be much of a highway machine kinda revs high (6000 ish) around 100kph in 5th but I definitely think this bike is going to be a spirited short run commuter bike.
    Motomicah likes this.
    Wasaga Beach, ON, Canada

1981 Honda CX500 Custom

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Sponsored Links