My CX500 build - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: My CX500 build

I also removed the air box and then put the bottom mount back in which holds the brake light switch. It doesnt stick up very far and it also holds the inner part of the stock rear fender which it appears you have omitted. Be careful without a fender the water can spray up on the air filter pods. You probably want a hugger or the stock fender in there. Either way its looking decent keep it up.
    Wasaga Beach, ON, Canada

1981 Honda CX500 Custom
    Named: TBD

another update. Received all my parts back from powder coater. Went with Bengal Silver with clear coat over top. I found a new guy in Kenosha Wisconsin. He did a fantastic job. and everything was only $350. That included frame, center stand, side stand, upper and lower triples, swingarm, front and rear fender, motor mounts, front engine/ radiator mount, risers, license bracket, and a handful of other small parts. He even went as far as primer powder coating the fenders, then sanding, then doing the silver. Everything got a shot of clear powder over the top.

I was so happy with it, that he is going to do the tank too. I was going to have it painted but everyone around here wants $600-900 for a custom paint job on the tank. With this guy, he will use a high temp filler to cover the small dents that I have. Them I am going with super chrome base coat, with a candy translucent red or blue over the top. Followed by clear- maybe even some metal flake in the clear. Probably use a vinyl stencil to have Honda logo showing in the color of the base coat. He'll do all that for $200.

Anyway, the bike is coming along nicely. I just got word that the seat was shipped out today. That came from Ginger McCabe at New Church Moto.

Name:  51139786675__6E1D6A48-6517-41C5-8DA4-C5BDF2DD1739.JPG
Views: 120
Size:  2.36 MB

Name:  IMG_7129.JPG
Views: 126
Size:  2.16 MB
    OCR likes this.
    1980 CX500 custom

Some more progress. Remade wiring harness from scratch. New tires mounted - Shinko 270 (size 5.00-16) on rear and Avon road master 3.50-19 on front. The tank was just dropped off this morning. Trying something new and getting it powder coated rather than painted. I'm going with heavy silver on the tank with the sides done in lollypop red candy. Vintage HM wing logos on side. Probably will outline the red with black pinstriping

Name:  IMG_3247.JPG
Views: 75
Size:  2.21 MB

Name:  IMG_3249.JPG
Views: 75
Size:  2.10 MB
    Last edited by sbaugz; 04-03-2017 at 08:56 AM.
    teCXas likes this.
    1980 CX500 custom

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

i just did my nighthawk tank in satin black super durable powder on friday aft

you will be pleased with yours powdercoated
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

GET A QUICKSET VALVE TOOL

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

Quote Originally Posted by murrayf View Post
    i just did my nighthawk tank in satin black super durable powder on friday aft

you will be pleased with yours powdercoated
    I was always reluctant before I met this new powdercoater. My previous shop didn't have any desire to fill dents or mask off multiple colors. they were pretty much a 'spray one color business'. because of that, i never had an opportunity to have a tank done because I never had a dent-free tank to work with.

This new guy I found plans on sandblasting tank, filling with high temp filler, then primer powder coating. After that, he will sand it smooth, spray silver metallic powder, then mask off and spray with Red candy powder on each side of tank. Finally he will clear powder. All for $200. If I wanted to do the same thing in paint, it would be around $800-1200 around here!
    Can't wait to get it back from him in a couple weeks.
    1980 CX500 custom

Murray- FYI- regarding my tires. i got my new tires mounted and installed. You were helping me out with tire sizes. I wanted to put a 4.00-19 on the front and we weren't sure if it would fit or not.
    After mounting up the Avon 3.50-19 front, I can tell you that I for sure could have gone with 4.00-19 up front- probably even could have done a 4.50-19 and kept the fender too. I have about 1.5" of space between tire tread and underside of fender. I have about .75' of space on either side of the tire before it comes close to the sides of the fender mount bolts.
    I am a little bummed because this avon sppedmaster looks pretty small to me. Should have ordered that Dunlop K70 4.00-19. Oh well. Now I know!
    1980 CX500 custom

400 is outside the rim safe range

4.50 is outside of sanity on the stock front rim

but my guess is you dont care anbd are trying to match the look of something not ridden much like the wrench monkee bike

post the tire you have for sale someone will want it

then get what you really want dont be bummed about a build i knwo if i do

it nags the shit out of me till i change it

sorry if i steered you wrong
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

GET A QUICKSET VALVE TOOL

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

Quote Originally Posted by murrayf View Post
    400 is outside the rim safe range

4.50 is outside of sanity on the stock front rim

but my guess is you dont care anbd are trying to match the look of something not ridden much like the wrench monkee bike

post the tire you have for sale someone will want it

then get what you really want dont be bummed about a build i knwo if i do

it nags the shit out of me till i change it

sorry if i steered you wrong

I am not blaming you at all so i am sorry if you took it that way. I was only sharing my experience so others may know what will fit. In all honesty, the avon speedmaster will be a better tire- safer and better handling- so I have no regrets at all.

I will respectfully disagree with you, however, when you say that a 4.00-19 is not safe on that rim.
    Take a look a the various links below. 2.15 rim is within the range of this size tire. Avon safety mileage, Shinko 270, coker and firestone classic, along with Firestone ANS - all in 4.00-19- will safely work with 2.15 rim.

Avon Motorcycle Tyres North America » Safety-Mileage-MKII

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/styl...ond-tread.html

The shinko 270 4.00-19 will also work with a range between 2.15-3.00 rim size. I don't have a link but this is per the shinko USA rep.
    1980 CX500 custom

Nice Build!

Will be following your progress!
    In the Garage
    1980 Honda CX 500 (Also known as Honda CX 500 A)
    1981 Honda CB 750 K
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX 6 R

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links