My CX500 build
Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: My CX500 build

My CX500 build

Figured I would attempt a build thread. I usually don't like doing them because I would rather be building than posting. But here goes:

Picked up a 1980 CX500 locally for $600 cash. It was running, but not great. Looked to be in good condition. Tank looked to be without rust or dents. Figured I would do a bobber- cafe style build similar to wrenchmonkees CX500.

Got the bike home and checked out the charging system. Turns out the stock stator charging coils and advance pickups were bad. With 45,000 miles on it, I figured it needed some cam chain work too, so I took the engine out and started in on it. Replaced the cam chain guides, tensioner, and chain. Also got a G8 from custom rewind, along with a ignitech that will come wednesday. Mosfet regulator was ordered as well. The pistons were just changed by the previous owner, so no need to re-do that.

I will dig around for a pic of the bike as i got it. Nothing really special. Just a black bike, missing side covers.
    1980 CX500 custom

below are some pics of the bike today, about 2 months after getting it.
    I took some 18 gauge sheet metal and banged out a seat pan for my new seat. Will get that done by Ginger at New Church Moto.

The engine is all buttoned back up and hopefully it will run good.

Front end including forks and caliper were rebuilt.

The mid pipes are the cafe units from Murray. I also ordered some of murray's POD filters.
    The silencers are stock Dyna Harley that I found on craigslist for $25. They were brand new, take-offs.

As for the frame, I hacked off the back and welded some plugs into the ends. A front fender from an XS650 as cut down and welded onto rear of frame for the back fender. I have a small battery box being made for me to hold the antigravity 8 cell pack underneath the seat, in between the frame rails. It will hang down below frame about 2 inches, so should be barely noticeable.

Front fender is stock unit that was cut down.

Still undecided on handlebars. I have a couple other bikes with clip-ons, so I will likely do something different. I like the look of the Norman Hyde M bars but I am not sure those will give me enough room for master cylinder.
    Well that's it for now. More progress and pics to follow.

Name:  IMG_3121.JPG
Views: 255
Size:  3.23 MBName:  IMG_3122.JPG
Views: 248
Size:  2.64 MBName:  IMG_3123.JPG
Views: 251
Size:  2.78 MBName:  IMG_3124.JPG
Views: 253
Size:  3.18 MBName:  IMG_3125.JPG
Views: 250
Size:  2.98 MBName:  IMG_3126.JPG
Views: 245
Size:  2.63 MBName:  IMG_3127.JPG
Views: 240
Size:  2.62 MB
    Last edited by sbaugz; 01-23-2017 at 08:29 PM.
    Motomicah likes this.
    1980 CX500 custom

OCR
    Daytona bars would look nice on there.
    Past Master, Dryden Lodge #472
    Caroline Lodge # 681
    RAM Fidelity # 77

'79CX500C

http://www.cx500forum.com/mediawiki

we are all given sh*t in life, but some of us learn to turn it into fertilizer and grow from it, and some us try to fling it on others like monkeys.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by OCR View Post
    Daytona bars would look nice on there.
    Yes, I thought about those. I was also thinking superbike bars- basically the same as the Daytona bars but a little less rise
    1980 CX500 custom

Nice build bud

Whats the tank you're using there?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpaint View Post
    Nice build bud

Whats the tank you're using there?
    Stock 1980 custom tank
    1980 CX500 custom

Very nice. I have the 1980 Custom as well.
    Where and what rear light are you going to use and where are you going to mount the battery and electronics?
    1980 CX500 Custom imported to the UK in 1993

A little bit of progress. Wrapped the exhaust. Got the wiring roughly laid out. You can see the battery box that is welded just underneath the frame rails under seat. This will fit the tiny Shorai battery that I purchased.
    Got a Acewell 4533 mounted up and mostly wired.
    I am using old man clubmans (by that I mean I found some clubmans that don't have any drop, so they sit up a little higher).
    Also mounted up some stock Harley XR1200 shocks. They are about 1/2" longer but will work fine. They might end up being too firm but we'll see.

The seat is currently getting upholstered with black leather. I plan on powder coating the frame, triples, fenders, and other misc parts silver. Tank will be a color- just not sure what yet.

Ordered up a whole slew of other parts (headlight, tail light, switches, electrical connectors, etc) on ebay and amazon. I expect about 10 small packages within the next 3 business days.

Some hurdles that I need to overcome:
    1) since the battery box is gone, i need to fabricate a new mount for the rear brake switch- any thoughts or ideas would be welcome
    2) Also need to fabricate a license mount. Was going to do a vertical mount on the upper shock mount bolt but I discovered wisconsin require the plate to be horizontal now. Probably will fabricate a horizontal mount that goes under the right side axle nut

Name:  IMG_3174.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  2.26 MB
    Last edited by sbaugz; 03-02-2017 at 04:50 PM.
    OCR and purplecx500 like this.
    1980 CX500 custom

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Very nice. I have the 1980 Custom as well.
    Where and what rear light are you going to use and where are you going to mount the battery and electronics?
    tail light will mount on rear fender. I am using a Motone Bates taillight. A google search will show you what it looks like.

The battery and electrics will be mounted in battery box and underneath seat. See pic above that shows the box. The mofset regulator rectifier will bolt just underneath the seat.
    1980 CX500 custom

well after about 30 minutes in the garage, I was able to fabricate a horizontal license plate mount. I don't love the way horizontal brackets look, but at least its legal.

I made it using about $3 worth of 11 gauge steel from a local metal supplier. I had them cut it to 12"x4". I laid a line down at 7" long and another line down at 10" long. Cut off the piece at 10" and scored the line at 7". Used my vice to bend the metal at the score line. Shaped the mounting end to a nice rounded off corner and voila- a license mount that took almost no time to make and only cost $3. I also laid a crappy looking weld bead along the inside where the bend was made.

sorry about crappy photos- it was dark and freezing cold by the time I finished.

Name:  IMG_3182.JPG
Views: 139
Size:  1.80 MBName:  IMG_3183.JPG
Views: 139
Size:  2.02 MBName:  IMG_3184.JPG
Views: 142
Size:  2.16 MBName:  IMG_3185.JPG
Views: 138
Size:  2.02 MBName:  IMG_3186.JPG
Views: 132
Size:  1.98 MB
    nolimitz and OCR like this.