new member, 4th build
Close

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: new member, 4th build

new member, 4th build

Hello all! I'm a new member here. I'll be using this page to chronicle my cx500 build!

I've received a fully stock '81 cx500 deluxe and about 85% of a '79 cx500 as trade for me building another motorcycle (or truck.. or FJ.. or.....) for a quirky guy I know, who has two large storage units full of random motorbikes (BMW, moto guzzi, laverda, aermacchi, ducati, various supermoto racers, etc). I'll be doing this on the cheap, but not too cheap. Hoping to stay within a few thousand for parts, though, I am working on converting a '77 yamaha xs750 triple to fuel injection, and I keep circulating that idea around my head for this bike as well.

This will be my wife's second bike. Her first and current bike is my 3rd (and most mild) build, a 2012 Suzuki tu250x. My first build was a severely wrecked (and split in two pieces) 2010.5 triumph t-100, which was featured on bonnefication, after its resurrection from the ashes. My second, which is actually still a work in progress because the carbs suck, is the aforementioned yamaha triple (VERY sweet bike). I still own all of them. I've been told I have an addiction, but I enjoy it, and my wife fully supports it, so from where I'm standing, there's no problem at all. Oh yea, and there's my daily driver, an 07 moto guzzi griso 1100. With the guzzitech gtr-x exhaust and a guzzitech fuel delivery-modifying module, it sounds like an angry mechanical grizzly bear. Temperament-wise, it's an untrained thoroughbred. If you give it small amounts of throttle at certain rpm, it bucks to let you know "you're doing it wrong!". If you transition on or off throttle with small amounts of throttle, the driveline lashes out to let you know "you're doing it wrong!". It wants THROTTLE, it's unapologetically flawed, and I've loved every second of my 6 years and counting with that bike; partly because of these character traits, and partly because despite these character traits, it has been supremely reliable.

Anyway, back to the cx. I have a question! Did the cx500 come from the factory with progressive fork springs? If you reference the photo below, you'll notice the springs are progressive, with tighter coils to the left side. I was going to buy a set of progressive springs for this anyway, so I'm wondering if these are factory or aftermarket? I have not had the chance to ride this bike yet. I was only able to get it to briefly run on starter fluid before I decided to accept it as trade. So, I don't know how decent the factory forks are on the cx. I was planning to start with new oil, seals and progressives, and go from there to see if I should go the extra cost to swap in some newer forks and trees, or if these are good enough.

And until I get more pics of the cx posted, if you folks would like, I can post some pics of my previous builds in the proper section, to whet your whistle for what's to come.

Welcome aboard! I don't think the Progressive springs were stock units. Others will have better info on that. In the mean time, take a moment to edit your profile signature line with the bike details. This helps us help you.
    Take a peek in the WIKI I link below, as it is chock full of great information. Best of all, there are free downloads of the Factory Service Manuals, and be sure to get the addendum for the year you have.

Joel in the Couve
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 61
    No more stable, no more ride for me.

G-Loria's Story I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands.

Forum Settings that everyone should make

Photo and Video posting Tips

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's
    with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

Those look like the springs that were in my 81' Deluxe forks.
    1981 CX 500 Deluxe
    Martha'a Vineyard, Ma

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for pointing me towards the resources ramprat!

scott, do you know if those springs were stock on yours? The parts fiche photos I've seen are no help, and I haven't found info on them so far.
    .eat, sleep, build, repeat.
    A geophysicist with engineering tendencies.

Building: '81 cx500D (with a '79 cx500 to cannibalize) <---link to build thread ~ Picture dump---> PICS!
    Already built: '10 Triumph bonneville T100 (The Chimera)
    '77 Yamaha xs750 trippple (The Luxe 77)
    '12 Suzuki tu250x (Little Rabbit)
    Daily driver: '07 Moto Guzzi Griso 1100

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatta View Post

scott, do you know if those springs were stock on yours? The parts fiche photos I've seen are no help, and I haven't found info on them so far.
    I think so but check the FSM 81' addendum to be sure.
    1981 CX 500 Deluxe
    Martha'a Vineyard, Ma

Many folks get hung up on this "progressive spring" thing, confusing the company that makes Progressive brand shocks or springs with progressive wound springs. I can't tell if the stock springs were progressive by the fiche either. From a page I found surfing.....

This is referred to as a straight or linear rate spring. The alternative, is a progressive rate spring which allows a single spring to essentially exhibit multiple rates. By utilizing varied spacing spring coils, the initial rate may be 60lbs/inch, requiring 60 lbs of force to compress it one inch.
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 61
    No more stable, no more ride for me.

G-Loria's Story I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands.

Forum Settings that everyone should make

Photo and Video posting Tips

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's
    with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

Please post up some pics of your Suzuki TU250X if you can.
    1981 CX 500 Deluxe
    Martha'a Vineyard, Ma

Quote Originally Posted by ramprat06 View Post
    Many folks get hung up on this "progressive spring" thing, confusing the company that makes Progressive brand shocks or springs with progressive wound springs. I can't tell if the stock springs were progressive by the fiche either. From a page I found surfing.....
    Right, I know there are progressive springs, and then there's the company that makes progressive springs with the trademark 'Progressive'. That's not the confusion. I'm just trying to figure out if the factory springs are progressive rate, or if these are some brand of aftermarket progressives (I don't care if they're the brand, Progressive). I've never seen a multi-coil-length spring that was not progressive rate, and these certainly are multi-coil-length. I'll keep searching, and it's not that important anyway, I was just surprised to see progressive rate springs when I pulled them out, so it made me wonder if Honda built these bikes like that from the factory.

Scott, I checked the '81 addendum and it says nothing about whether the springs are progressive or not. Also, no helpful pics.
    I'll put some pics of the TU in a google drive folder and link to it. I haven't felt like using my DSLR recently, so the pics will probably all be from my phone.
    .eat, sleep, build, repeat.
    A geophysicist with engineering tendencies.

Building: '81 cx500D (with a '79 cx500 to cannibalize) <---link to build thread ~ Picture dump---> PICS!
    Already built: '10 Triumph bonneville T100 (The Chimera)
    '77 Yamaha xs750 trippple (The Luxe 77)
    '12 Suzuki tu250x (Little Rabbit)
    Daily driver: '07 Moto Guzzi Griso 1100

I was thinking the pics in there were better but I guess not. I do know that the springs in your picture match the ones in my 81' Deluxe forks which leads me to believe they are stock. Mine were squishy, current forks are off a standard that I added the spacer too and they are much better.
    1981 CX 500 Deluxe
    Martha'a Vineyard, Ma

I've not seen a CX without progressively wound springs.
    Rebuilding Handlebar Switches

Rider 81 500C, Thingy Born a 78Z. Ozdeluxe born an 80 shadow.

GET A MULTIMETER RTFM I am a CX500. If you maintain me I will run forever.

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's with addendums

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links