Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Rob's 1980 CX500 Custom Build

8K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  robkroupa 
#1 ·
I had been looking or a project to keep me busy and have always kind of like the CX500's so when I saw this on CL for next to nothing I had to jump on it. It has been sitting unloved for 25 years so this should be fun. Motor seems like it might be seized up but I'm hoping it's just from sitting and that some penetrating oil will help get them loose. I'll keep posting updates as I go.
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

See less See more
#2 ·
Did you try turning the engine using the bolt on the front of the crankshaft, found under the access cover below the radiator, between the oil filter housing and the clutch cover? Be sure to update your signature to include your bike information and your location. If you haven't done so already download a copy of the factory service manual for your bike and visit the Wiki. Welcome.

#3 ·
This happens fairly often ,a surprising number

survive being locked .

Lube with PB blaster don't force anything.

Clean plug wells.

Remove plugs.

Spray down plug holes.

Let it sit for a while.

I set any old locked engines in the

sun a few days.

Also I pull carbs and exhaust spray

PB in ports look in there and see how

rusty things are.

Proceed accordingly.

Don't turn that bolt too hard it could

break.

Righty titey not lefty loosy.

Better to put in 5th and rock forward and back

#5 ·
I hate when that happens.

#6 ·
Luckily after a couple of days of spraying PB blaster in the cylinders the engine freed right up. I have started cleaning the carbs, ordered the Randakk carb rebuild kit, and some pod filters and new jets.

I also put a new battery in and the bike lights up and the starter turns the motor over but I'm going to need to track down why I'm not getting any spark.
Electronics Electronic component Auto part Toy Engine

#7 ·
WOW what is all that shit in the bowl and on the jet towers?? That looks like tar !!!! Spark may not be your problem at all, at least not worth trying to sort before you get this gunk cleaned up!

#8 ·
If you unplug the black w/white stripe wire from the CDI, that bypasses all the kill switches.
Make sure that you have the plugs on the cover bolts or the frame and crank it over to see if you have spark.

#12 · (Edited)
#14 ·
Well I finally got around to messing with the bike again. I ordered a full setup from Rae San and got my carbs cleaned up and rebuilt. I think my next step will be to go ahead and pull the motor to make the installation of the hall effect sensor a little easier and to get the engine block cleaned up. Hopefully soon I can hear this thing run for the first time.

#15 ·
Well that's not a great sign. I was prepping to drop the motor and figured I would drain the oil to save a little weight. I drained the oil no problem but then when I went to take the filter out it wasn't there... I sure hope the previous owner wasn't running it without the filter...

#16 ·
I figured I would go ahead and get everything prepped for my Rae San unit so I would be ready to install it when it got here. The 2 screws holding the advance sensor coils are really stuck. Tried a JIS screwdriver first and they won't budge, tried an impact screwdriver and still had no luck, I keep periodically soaking them with some penetrating oil but I guess my next step is to take a torch to the screws and hopefully not have to drill them out. Good grief.

#23 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Iron

Well I have most of the mid section cleaned out, got some new handlebars and controls put on that I like. Now I'm starting to plan out where I'm going to hide the different electrical components and how I'm going to route the wires. I was all set to go ahead and order an m-unit and tackle the whole electrical system first but I'm waiting on a battery box from BBCR and who knows how long that will take to get here and I don't want to do to much planning without knowing what will fit in it for sure. I think I might just move on the figuring out the seat and re-doing the gas tank. So far the plan is a seat from Texavina and strip the tank down to bare metal, give it somewhat of a brushed look, and then clear coat it. If the battery box hasn't shown up by then maybe I'll start de-tabbing the frame...

#25 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Fuel tank

Got the seat in from Texavina, looks great. I did some cutting and trimming to the rear of the frame but now that the seat is here I need to figure out how I'm going to finish up the backend.

Still waiting for my battery box from BBCR.....

Can't decide if I want to finish the frame, work on the gas tank, or get started wiring next.

#26 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Fuel tank Car

Here's a quick update. First off I finished sanding down the tank after I took this picture. It is finally down to just bare metal right now. I think I got the rear end close to how I"m going to want it, just need to clean it up a little. Still waiting on my battery box from BBCR.... but I have all of my switches and my m.unit so I'm about to start wiring things.

And to top it all off I just order a set of carbs and upswept mid pipes from Murray! :vs_party2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.