Cafe bike buildup 80 CX500 - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Cafe bike buildup 80 CX500

Quote Originally Posted by BenW View Post
    so you had to sand the whole engine block? with what if I can ask? it looks so clean? and then you primed it? are you painting the engine?

I had to de grease the whole block before any sanding could be done first. I sanded with 400 grit paper and scotchbrite pads. The pads are great at getting into all the tight spots of the motor. The good original paint on the block was just scuffed up but the bad spots needed to be taken down to bare clean aluminum. I used duplicolor 500* engine enamel primer and paint (in the aluminum color) Hope this helps!

Before:

After a half day of sanding prep and paint :

1980 CX500 Custom

Progress has been slow, but I've been chugging along...

Received my 08 cbr600 rr front end and conformed that the steerig stem is a perfect match. excited to get that thing on after the frame gets some paint.

I cleaned up the rear end of the bike, capped and welded and grinded:

Cut:

Welded/ground:

Removed the old steering lock and put on a new one for the cbr front end and modified the tank supports for the deluxe tank Im going to use:

Also removed the big passenger peg material. Welded smaller muffler supports on. This is somewhere in the middle of frame clean up/grinding:

The beginnings of my tail section. I started with a section of a custom tank, had to narrow it for the width of the rear of the frame/seat and just starting to tack it all together:

Im almost ready to take bring the frame and parts to the powder coater. Cant wait to start bolting cleaned parts back up Thanks for looking!
    chaetophile likes this.
    1980 CX500 Custom

sweet
    I ride a Murray Machine...you won't catch me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Engine came out nice. Love that aluminum paint, covers well. I wish they made it in black too.
    1980 Honda CX500 Custom, 1980 Honda CX500 Deluxe, 1987 Suzuki Intruder VS1400

I wish my welds looked like that
    1978 CX500

to old to bother, to young to care

Wow Noah! Your progress is amazing! I'm in the midst of two teen aged daughters' soccer tryouts for the season on top of work and other household chores! Your fabrication skills are off the hook! My progress is slow going, yours is blazing!
    1980 CX500C Cafe Build

2005 999s Monoposto

2002 GSXR600 Telefonica

Found some better shots of my CX while my buddy had it up in san francisco at the event. God its ugly...

Notice rear tire falling apart. I scraped lots of rubber off the back side of the motor when I was cleaning it up.

Been in the process of moving and can say Im finally in and situated. Got a 1 car garage all to MYSELF Muhaha... So happy about that.

Made some rear sets for the bike, I didnt want to go too aggressive with the position so I kept them short. I could always make different plates if I find I need a different position.

And I finally convinced myself the it was time to do/check the timing chain so I pulled the rear cover off and started on the tear down. Parts are on order.

Have you ever seen the chain wear into the bolt this bad? Dang I think this was the most neglected cx in existence.

YIKES!!!

1980 CX500 Custom

Got a little more done today. I am jumping all over with this bike, getting done what I can even if its all out of order

Started with a CX custom tank and narrowed it 1". I decided I wanted to make the cowl and seat pan 2 separate pieces, Im still undecided as to what to do for the pan... Hmmm... Thanks for looking!

1980 CX500 Custom

Looks good! I like the cowl idea. Less hassle to cut and weld than to lay up fiber glass.

Nice tank, too!

John
    1980 CX500 Custom

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    Looks good! I like the cowl idea. Less hassle to cut and weld than to lay up fiber glass.

Nice tank, too!

John

Thanks John!

Im pretty happy with how the tail came out, it will need a slight scraping of filler where I re-welded the two sides back together but it came out pretty darn straight for how much I hacked it up. haha

The tank is just chilling until paint time, because its so dang nice! Thanks again for the hook up.

Im not sure what I want to do about a seat pan though... Thoughts?

I,ve seen most pans raised up off the frame rails and parallel with the ground. I had originally planned to make the pan sit directly on the frame and bend up in the rear as it makes contact with the tail... But it might be too low and look a bit bobber ish for me. I have an old custom seat, maybe I'll cut a chunk out to lay in there and see how it suits me...
    1980 CX500 Custom

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links