best way of going about making a custom battery mount?
Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Was wondering what the best and (yet cheapest) way to go about building a custom battery mount is. planning on taking out the air box sometime next week and putting on those stylish air filters. Thanks!
    1980 CX500c

Lord of the scrapyard baldgrimsbybiker's Avatar
    Will you be using the standard battery or gell type? Only asking because the gell type will allow you to mount the battery at any angle , including upside down.

Just a thought , hope it helps

I used 2 battery hinged boxes under my engine attached to a metal strip. I did use a gel battery so as to hang it sideways.

It:

1) "was free/cheap"

2) hides the battery pretty well

3) requires very little rewiring

You can click on my project link to see the basic idea.
    "Chance favors the prepared mind"

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Once the air box is removed there is a nice flat shelf to put the battery on, I used 2 L brackets and a nylon load strap which was actually designed as a battery strap for a military tank test system..
    Rusty Bikes

1981 CX500C "Soup Line Sprinter" Post apocalyptic mayhem machine and daily driver

1980 Honda Express NC50 no-ped

1988 Yamaha Riva 125

1970? Sears Free Spirit (Tanaka Bikebug) Bicycle engine

Right now im working with a standard battery, didnt know there was such a thing as gel batteries but they are sounding like the way to go (wanting to hide it as much as possible. Thanks guys for your input. Also a quick question, do you need to rejet your carbs when you put in the new air filters??

Edit: @scrapmetal, how tough was the rewiring, really like where you put it
    1980 CX500c

Lithium batteries are smaller and lighter and can also be mounted at any angle. I've ordered a Shorai lithium battery for my CX.

Regarding the air filter question:

I haven't researched this topic enough yet, but from what little I've read any modifications to the air box or exhaust seems to be really tricky on these machines. Read up properly or you risk loosing performance.
    CX500 -78

Anything I've ever read suggest that you will indeed have to rejet the carbs and it is a trial and error thing. Good luck! Also I saw a thread on here for a cafe build that had a very small battery I think lithium and it was like 5"x4"x1.5". With that battery I imagine your options are greater, but the cost is higher as well.
    Ron

1979 Honda CX500 Custom

The rewiring wasn't too bad. I did have to take off the plate Rusty was talking about, but that was easy enough. That allowed me to spin the ground wire to the other side as I wanted to hide the terminals (I was not into making a box, although that is probably the way to go). The reach is VERY close, not much excess. As to the Positive line, I removed the little 4 inch piece that is stock and replaced with a longer cable. The hardest part about that was removing the fuse line and other thin red line and connecting them to the new cable. I cut a 1/2 inch from the sheathing and soldered all the wires together, then shrink wrapped that thing and placed electrical tape on the ends of that just for good measure.

Again, the wire length I chose just fit, so I'd go a little extra then what you think you need. A few bends here and there really add up.

Quote Originally Posted by ricky138 View Post
    Right now im working with a standard battery, didnt know there was such a thing as gel batteries but they are sounding like the way to go (wanting to hide it as much as possible.

Here is my Shorai Li Ion in the cx650c battery bay (temporarily jammed in with cotton batting while I work out the mechanical issues). And a quick volt reading and size comparison. There appears to be reluctance in adopting LiIon batteries for motorcycles. A lot of "lead acid worked for 100+ year and it ain't broke, so don't fix it." Much smaller allows greater design flexibility. I plan to move mine behind the seat. Reliability on a motorcycle is being tested by those who want to try it. I did some research and committed to a Li Ion. I suggest you do some research and decide for yourself.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    CX650C "2.0"

Quote Originally Posted by Ting_kerr View Post
    Here is my Shorai Li Ion in the cx650c battery bay (temporarily jammed in with cotton batting while I work out the mechanical issues). And a quick volt reading and size comparison. There appears to be reluctance in adopting LiIon batteries for motorcycles. A lot of "lead acid worked for 100+ year and it ain't broke, so don't fix it." Much smaller allows greater design flexibility. I plan to move mine behind the seat. Reliability on a motorcycle is being tested by those who want to try it. I did some research and committed to a Li Ion. I suggest you do some research and decide for yourself.
    Are those compatible with our cdi bikes?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links