Honda CX 500 Forum banner

M-Unit wiring diagram for CDI 1980 CX500

29K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Neveup 
#1 ·
Hey all,
I've searched the whole forum and whilst there are quite a few threads on the Motogadget M-Unit, I'm hoping to find a decent wiring diagram that worked for someone.

I'd appreciate it if anyone has one handy.

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
I seem to recall seeing someone's drawing regarding the M unit (I am not familiar with them myself). Do you have a copy of the FSM? If not, look in my signature for the WIKI and you can find the original wiring diagrams for the CX, and perhaps go from there. In this link, go to the bottom for layered diagrams for each section of the wiring.
CX Wiring diagram - CXGL

#3 ·
Im interested in the same thing. I'm in the preplanning stage of a new project. I would like to rewire my project with the m-unit but I'm also thinking of going TI becuase im having a hard time finding new cdi units. dont know if I stick with the cdi for now, if i need to plan ahead to incorperate anything to ease the transition. I did find this on youtube but worried about it being "too simple" and not knowing about the unforeseen stuff.

#5 ·
Thanks nolimitz, I had found the rea-san site but everything was out-of-stock, only to find out later he marked it that way because he's on vacation. I've just started the resurrection of a '80 cx500, and I started to wonder if I had made a mistake. I knew parts availability would be a challenge but I didn't know it would have been like that. I have still yet to find a compatible ignitech unit. PM me a link if anyone has one. Not that I'm sure if I need it quite yet, Waiting on carb parts to see if I can get fuel to it.

#6 ·
#8 · (Edited)
Ok, this is wiring diagram that I've made for my bike.. I've got Ignitech, M-unit, motoscope mini.. Only thing that's missing from diagram is tacho sensor that I've got with Motoscope mini wich I'm using, but thats maybe redunant because I've might used tacho sensing from Ignitech. Also I'm using speed sensor that came with motoscope mini..

Edit:
- basically the same wiring can be used with original CDI, as addition to blue and white wire coming from pulsar/pickup.
-Of course If someone has a questions regarding diagram, just shoot :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
If this diagram is fully tested with the different units/setups you mention, with consistent results, it might be worth considering for an entry into the WIKI. We'd need to have solid positive results over a range of tests, with all the units. If there are different tweaks for each of the units above, perhaps a separate drawing for each. The key is having positive consistent result in tests.

#10 ·
This wiring loom is tested with specified components and is working fine, and if I can contribute with this to the wiki/comunity I'll be happy because thats drop in the sea comparing how much this community helped me with my project.
Once again, if someone have q. I'm here..
I'll try to make my project thread/log soon and share my story with all photos that I have, just to find some spare time for that..

#12 ·
Ivaan,
I will stick the drawing in my dedicated folder for addition to the WIKI. We need to make sure that we have a correct drawing for each possible scenario, i.e. using stock CDI, or Ignitech, or Rae-San units. If you only know for sure this works for the Ignitech, we need to make sure we specify that in the addendum. Any high quality photos/close ups would be great to do a show and tell write up.

If there is any information or changes to adapt to a TI ignition, we need to cover that too, if it applies. (I am not savvy with all this)

#14 ·
Lots of people PM me about my diagram/shematic.. I can make diagram versions for all types of ignitions but I don't have those parts to test it because that would require to actually have TI and RAE san units connected to bike.. Which I don't have, I have only Ignitech and old CDI..
And about pics and walk thrus, I promise I will start thread about my bike build as soon as I get more than couple days of free time.. and gather all photos in one place.. that is at least I can do for this forum..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.