Different rims?
Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Different rims?

I have a 1980 CX500 custom with what I am assuming are called comstar rims. I noticed though that there are two different designs of the same style rim so to speak. Mine, the whole spoke piece is "indented" whereas the other style Ive seen more of a "bubble." I dont know if it has to do with year or model but I like the look of the more "bubbled" ones compared to the ones on my bike. So my question is if I would be able to simply swap rims without changing any thing.
    1980 CX500 Custom

To my knowledge there are two Comstar designs for the CX. Black predominant, and reverse.

Then you have the options to go all out and be uber anything.......

G-Loria's Story including Part III > I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands. Part III included at the end of the link.

Forum Settings that everyone should make

Photo and Video posting Tips

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's
    with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

TAPATALK USERS--
    Please go into the Tapatalk app's settings and turn off the "auto signature" feature. Thank You.

Guess I have the black predominant ones then haha. Its the reserves thought that I like,
    1980 CX500 Custom

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Landfast101 View Post
    I have a 1980 CX500 custom with what I am assuming are called comstar rims. I noticed though that there are two different designs of the same style rim so to speak. Mine, the whole spoke piece is "indented" whereas the other style Ive seen more of a "bubble." I dont know if it has to do with year or model but I like the look of the more "bubbled" ones compared to the ones on my bike. So my question is if I would be able to simply swap rims without changing any thing.
    What you describe as "bubbled" are Comstars, found on the '78 and '79 CX500 Standard. They are 19" front and 18" rear.

The black, indented rims are Reverse Comstars, found on the '79-'80 Cx500 Deluxe, '79-'82 Custom, and the '81 and '82 GL500. They are 19" front and 16" rear (in North America, anyway.)

R
    10th Annual Minnesota Spring Ride and Barbecue - Saturday, May 13, 2017
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1978 CX500 Standard - The Grub

1981 GL500 Basket case -> AdventureWing (Dual-sport conversion in progress) - Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3

1979 CX500 Deluxe rolling chassis -> Hmm?

Randall has more knowledge than I do, so if the Black is the reverse style, I'll accept that. I thought it was the other way around.

Merely Joel in the Couve, wishing all a happy holiday season.
    G-Loria's Story including Part III > I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands. Part III included at the end of the link.

Forum Settings that everyone should make

Photo and Video posting Tips

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's
    with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

TAPATALK USERS--
    Please go into the Tapatalk app's settings and turn off the "auto signature" feature. Thank You.

Ok, well reverse or predominant black, whatever you wanna call them, thats what I have. But do you know if the comstars can be swapped with the reverse comstars easily? Or would the size difference call for other parts to be replaced as well?
    1980 CX500 Custom

Quote Originally Posted by Landfast101 View Post
    Ok, well reverse or predominant black, whatever you wanna call them, thats what I have. But do you know if the comstars can be swapped with the reverse comstars easily? Or would the size difference call for other parts to be replaced as well?
    Should be a direct swap.

R
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1981 GL500 Basket case -> AdventureWing (Dual-sport conversion in progress) - Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3

lt1
    They s/b swappable. Both were on a wide variety of Hondas. You would need to verify rim widths as well as diameter. If you are swapping from outside the CX/GL series, it would be a good idea to verify the width at the axle as well on the fronts. Since the rear drums are integral with the wheel, your options may be much more limited on the rear.
    Eyes, Brain, Hands. Repeat.

GL Front wheels don't work well with the CX500s. I can confirm with experience. I ran a GL500 single disc wheel on my CX500 for several months, and it created SERIOUS stability issues that I'm lucky didn't cause a crash.

My '80 (actually, now '81) CX500 has the normal comstar rims off of the '78 on it. They increase the handling by a LOT (front wheel is the same, so it's no different, but taller tire on the rear even though it's skinnier makes the bike handle like a dream) and to me look way better than the original reverse comstars, but that's all personal taste.

They're both silver colored, as I believe they are as they come stock.

Edit: Here they are on my slightly grungy '80 CX500. I don't have any pics with them on the '81 just yet.

1980 Honda CX500C-Ignitech, Tecoparts Coils, Iridium Plugs, Rebuilt Plug Caps, Electric Fan, '78 Standard Wheels

1973 Honda CB500/550

1981 Honda CX500C-Newest addition to the family

Quote Originally Posted by Cramer View Post
    GL Front wheels don't work well with the CX500s. I can confirm with experience. I ran a GL500 single disc wheel on my CX500 for several months, and it created SERIOUS stability issues that I'm lucky didn't cause a crash.
    Sounds like a bad wheel bearing.

The axles are different to match the forks, but the same diameter, unless I'm mistaken. Spacers might be an issue, though, if the hubs are different widths.

R

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links