Spoked rear wheel option
Close
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hi All;

My first post here, I was researching somme bobbers stuff and came across some discussion on this site about getting a rear spoked wheel for the Silverwing. I used a CX500 rear wheel on a custom project this summer and converted it to spokes using a CB750 rear wheel. Straight forward lathe work. I just thought I'd pass it along in case anyone needs the info. See some photos here......

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6298765...7627493518494/

I can explain the process if anyone is interested.

Hope this helps someone.

Joe

Vancouver Island

Ok so let me get this straight.

You took the hub off a cb750 and used a lathe to cut out the center. And then put the cx hub on a lathe to make a matching face?

Then was it welded in place to the hub?

We're all interesting if that helps.
    1968 Honda CT90 Trail-Yellow Monster project
    1979 Honda CX500 Supertanker 72,000 miles.
    1983 Honda Gl650I Falcon-killer 78,000 miles.
    Pictures of my bikes Past and Present.

Quick Reference Sheps Forum Supertanker Build Back up Info ⇒ Free Factory Service Manuals ⇐

Yes, that's basically it. The CX500 hub is quite small and the old CB750 hub is big enough to fit over top. Lot's of spoke kits to match up a Harley 16" rim and the CB750 came stock with 18" and 17" wheels so lots of stock spoke kits around if the origional set is rusted so bad it has to be cut out. I ebayed a set of new 18" spokes for this project fairly cheaply.

Joe

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Man I'm totally interested!
    Matt

1983 CX650C

Hi Matt;

It was quite easy to do, most of the bigger 70s bikes with drum rear bikes have a much bigger rear drum than the CX. Take the CX hub, remove the comstar spokes, lop off the big alum nubs left on the CX hub with a zip cut disc and machine the outside of the hub down till you get a smooth finish. Cut the center out of the CB750 hub and machine the inside of it out till you match the CX hub. If you go with a very close fit you can heat the CB hub with a propane torch and slide it on the CX hub to where you want it. I mounted the CX rear wheel hub/axel/brake etc into the frame and lined the CB hub to where I wanted it so when I laced the wheel I could just lace it straight, no offset etc. I had to do a bit of trimming on the CX brake backing plate cause it touched a bit here and there but no big deal. Remember it is a custom fit modification and your experiance may vary, I hope I explained it well enough so everyone can get a general idea of how it would come together. I just wished I'd taken some more photos and measurements as I was doing it.

Next build.....

Joe

Yeah I am also interested can I see some pics of the finished product if you have some. Or some pics of the way it was put together thanks
    1979 cx500 custom (cafe racer)

BAMS CUSTOM

Navarre Fl 32566

CAFE RACERS

Quote Originally Posted by 750guy View Post
    Hi Matt;

It was quite easy to do, most of the bigger 70s bikes with drum rear bikes have a much bigger rear drum than the CX. Take the CX hub, remove the comstar spokes, lop off the big alum nubs left on the CX hub with a zip cut disc and machine the outside of the hub down till you get a smooth finish. Cut the center out of the CB750 hub and machine the inside of it out till you match the CX hub. If you go with a very close fit you can heat the CB hub with a propane torch and slide it on the CX hub to where you want it. I mounted the CX rear wheel hub/axel/brake etc into the frame and lined the CB hub to where I wanted it so when I laced the wheel I could just lace it straight, no offset etc. I had to do a bit of trimming on the CX brake backing plate cause it touched a bit here and there but no big deal. Remember it is a custom fit modification and your experiance may vary, I hope I explained it well enough so everyone can get a general idea of how it would come together. I just wished I'd taken some more photos and measurements as I was doing it.

Next build.....

Joe

You did a great job explaining. I was imagining that's how you went about it. Perhaps I could get away with performing this in my lathe class in a few weeks. Thanks. Cheers.
    Matt

1983 CX650C

Remember it is a custom fit modification and your experiance may vary,

Joe

I love that quote - and i`m gonna` pinch it!

When i first saw your method i thought it was an unecessarily complicated way of going about it when compared to the well-known std CX hub + spoke `rings` we`ve all seen on here before, but your method provides a much neater finished job that looks almost oem, and if you`ve got access to a lathe and the skills to use it, then use it!

Good job.

BTW, are you just using the CX final drive and hub in the custom-built frame in the pics?

What`s that engine?

Hi, yes I used the CX final drive but drove it with parts of a shadow driveshaft (I think) and a V65 engine drive.

Go here for all the pics of the build,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62987655@N08/

It's a Cushmamn Engine.

Joe

Hi, yes I used the CX final drive but drove it with parts of a shadow driveshaft (I think) and a V65 engine drive.

Go here for all the pics of the build,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62987655@N08/

It's a Cushmamn Engine.

Joe

Mad genius.

Rusty
    Rusty Bikes

1981 CX500C "Soup Line Sprinter" Post apocalyptic mayhem machine and daily driver

1980 Honda Express NC50 no-ped

1988 Yamaha Riva 125

1970? Sears Free Spirit (Tanaka Bikebug) Bicycle engine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links