Front end swap
Close

Thread: Front end swap

Looking to swap out the front end of my 81' cx500 with a front end from a newer street bike (ie. Cbr,gsxr). I'm wondering if anyone knows what will fit my cx before I drop the cash on a new front end...

Use the search feature: (front fork swap) and you will find a lot of information. AGB-1

http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/top...rk-conversion/
    1989 NT650,1990 NT650,1977 CB750F,1975 CB550F,1982 CB750SC,1975 GL1000,1981 GL1100,Suzuki VX800,1972 Norton 750.CX500D 1980

Members have fit both those types of front ends just fine. But it is a bit of work.

The biggest thing is the length of the steering stem. Both front ends work just fine but if the stem is to long or to short a new one will have to be put in.
    1968 Honda CT90 Trail-Yellow Monster project
    1979 Honda CX500 Supertanker 72,000 miles.
    1983 Honda Gl650I Falcon-killer 78,000 miles.
    Pictures of my bikes Past and Present.

Quick Reference Sheps Forum Supertanker Build Back up Info ⇒ Free Factory Service Manuals ⇐

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

^+1

I threw some Katana forks on my friend's CX. It worked fairly well, but we had to mix and match bearings and races to get Suzuki dimensions to play nicely with the Honda neck. Ended up buying 2 kits from All Balls to get it back together.

I had a little Excel calculator that would do some quick steering geometry calculations with wheelbase, diameter, axle offset, clamp offset, etc. Needs some work before I'd show it off to be honest. Hopefully you're planning to swap everything over? Brakes, wheel, clipons, etc? Every fairly modern sportbike I've noticed uses 0 axle offset, often hard to get that back if you're taking off a leading axle setup.

Watch your tire sizes also. We swapped to a 17" front, but then later ended up changing to an 18" rear (from a 78 CX if I remember correctly). We lost a fair bit of trail from the swap, then lost some more from increasing rear diameter. Less trail + wider front tire + narrower rear tire has given ....unique...handling. When he gets a new front skin we'll try a narrower one and try to bring things back under control.

We did it for fairly cheap: the Kan was being parted out anyway, and bearings ran about $80 if I remember correctly. I rebuilt the forks while they were out, brakes were just cleaned and bled luckily. About $120 total for seals, wipers, oil and bearings. I probably could have charged him a bit for the forks and labor, but he provided the beer for our work nights. I'll see if I can dig up the pictures I took of the project.

Quote Originally Posted by markmakeitso View Post
    ^+1

I threw some Katana forks on my friend's CX. It worked fairly well, but we had to mix and match bearings and races to get Suzuki dimensions to play nicely with the Honda neck. Ended up buying 2 kits from All Balls to get it back together.

I had a little Excel calculator that would do some quick steering geometry calculations with wheelbase, diameter, axle offset, clamp offset, etc. Needs some work before I'd show it off to be honest. Hopefully you're planning to swap everything over? Brakes, wheel, clipons, etc? Every fairly modern sportbike I've noticed uses 0 axle offset, often hard to get that back if you're taking off a leading axle setup.

Watch your tire sizes also. We swapped to a 17" front, but then later ended up changing to an 18" rear (from a 78 CX if I remember correctly). We lost a fair bit of trail from the swap, then lost some more from increasing rear diameter. Less trail + wider front tire + narrower rear tire has given ....unique...handling. When he gets a new front skin we'll try a narrower one and try to bring things back under control.

We did it for fairly cheap: the Kan was being parted out anyway, and bearings ran about $80 if I remember correctly. I rebuilt the forks while they were out, brakes were just cleaned and bled luckily. About $120 total for seals, wipers, oil and bearings. I probably could have charged him a bit for the forks and labor, but he provided the beer for our work nights. I'll see if I can dig up the pictures I took of the project.

I'd be interested in seeing the photos and having a look at your Excel file mark, no need to clean it up any I speak Excel fairly well.
    1983 CX650C

1986 CMX450 REBEL

1979 CM185T TWINSTAR

1981 GL1100 GoldWing

Saginaw, Michigan USA 3rd stone from the sun

my on going project - zxr front end
    Attached Images Attached Images

there is info in my build thread on the R1 forks I installed. I included triple trees that will fit the CX bearings.

http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/top...t-got-screwed/
    IT'S NOT PERSONAL...IT'S "ALL BUSINESS"

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing the photos and having a look at your Excel file mark, no need to clean it up any I speak Excel fairly well.

Hi Sidewinder,

I'll have to dig for the newest version, see attached for an old one. It was made in Excel, but I just opened it up in OpenOffice and some stuff doesn't display quite correctly. YMMV.

It's actually a permutation of a vehicle design document I made for a college class. Started out as driver positioning visualization for a 3-wheeled high MPG vehicle, then snowballed from there. Worked out pretty well, although there were always more things to add. The bike one isn't where I want it to be, but there's a lot less stuff to map out for only 2 wheels. Definitely a back burner project lately, but useful for discussions like this one.

Edit: Aaannnd... some slightly blurry, poorly organized pics of the Katana swap are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3546575...7626457029442/
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by nicb View Post
    my on going project - zxr front end

What size bearings did you use? And did you use the ax triples/steering neck?
    1980 CX500C Cafe Build

2005 999s Monoposto

2002 GSXR600 Telefonica

Sponsored Links