Honda CX 500 Forum banner

81 CX500 Bobber build

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  raidersf1989 
#1 ·
Just picked this up two weeks ago for $500. Bike is super clean on 18,000 miles and absolutly no dirt, grease, or oil on the motor case. Got it home and started tearing into it. Removed the seat, rear fender and light houseing. Still have to get the air box out wanting to go with two aftermarket filter on the carbs. My buddy made a set of dog bones for the rear suspension for me and will be installing those soon as well as ordering a seat pan, mid size apes, license plate and rear light setup. Here is a couple pics of my progression so far.

Day i got it home

Clean motor

Started tearing into it

Dog Bones

Comparison of the drop the suspension will give

Where the rear wheel will be sitting after the suspsion is botled on

See less See more
#3 ·
I thought you were going to use a couple short dog bones to extend the bottom shock mounts and make it lower. Solid struts will get it pretty low. I could not stand the solid mounts and they lasted about 1 day before I switched back.

That bike looks real clean.

Welcome to the brotherhood.

Rusty

#5 ·
Blind- the piece that I had made is only bolted on the bottem in that picture I have to drill out the upper one so it can slip onto the old shock mount. I plan on using the bile mainly to go back and forth to work which is a short trip so it being solid in the rear I can live with at most I will ride it 30 miles to the Sturgis rally week switch is just up the highway from where I live. I throw some pictures up of my STI later for ya recently had it in a magazine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.