Honda CX 500 Forum banner

My First CX500. Cafe/Bobber build

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  M_Angell 
#1 ·
Hey Guys, long time lurker, first time poster. I picked up a 82 CX500 for $180.00 yesterday and I started tearing into it tonight. A bit of background info on it, it was purchased by its PO to be a parts bike, the owner previous to him claimed he had it running right before he purchased it the speedo has it at 15,500 miles. well the PO took what he needed off it and let it sit out back with the spark plugs out of it. It turned over very hard at first but as I worked it a bit it got easier and now turns smoothly. it looks like someone put either marvel mistery oil in it or some tranny fluid. well heres what it looked like when I pulled it in.

well tonight I tore into it to see how bad the cylinders were, and here is what i found

LEFT

RIGHT

you can see in the pictures which cylinder had all the water in it, so my question is do you think I can do a quick ball hone to clean out the rust in the right and run it? I can definately feel the rust, but it doesnt seem totally pitted. let me know what you guys think.

See less See more
#2 ·
My guess would be don't try to run it unless it is looking/feeling smooth. If it locks up on you, well, there goes $180

That being said, I really don't know my arse from a hole in the ground, so I'd wait for someone that knows something to chime in

Did the PO tell you about this site? Just wondering if they posted here, maybe you could find out some background on that beast.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response, Yea I will definately not run it until I get the cylinder wall situation squared away. The PO did not tell me about the site, I stumbled upon this site about a year ago, and he might be on here, he at least one other twisted V.

Anyways I don't want to get into machining this block, you guys think I can hone this rust damage out?

#4 ·
Id say yes but try to remove it with chemicals first. You will already have tye engine apart so you might as well get it squeeky clean before you assemble it. Rub just a little CLR around with a microfiber towel and see how much comes off (wear gloves because that stuff irratates skin pretty good). Check your work with a tissue when you think its all gone.

You just want to be careful when honing not to go too far. Unless you machine your pistons new rings are a little costly to do more than once...

This is just my $.02 anyway. Anyone else have any ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.