Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Pods Plug Atmospheric Ports

101K views 91 replies 44 participants last post by  muzza 
#1 ·
After reading multiple posts regarding pods and jetting and carbs etc.... I came across comments in the “carb swap” forum by murrayf regarding the air flow restrictions we can expect to experience by using pods. I went out and took mine off to see what the excitement was about and found the following. Perhaps all you all knew this, I’m just a little slow at times.

I modified my pods as noted in the photo, it made a substantial difference in performance running 125/90 jets in stock Keihin carbs, straight pipes and no pre-chamber (H-Box).

KeysCX

See less See more
#3 ·
First I sanded the chrome with 100 grit to put some tooth on the steel surface, then I used JB Weld which held good on the steel but it didn't hold to the rubber. So I used Gorilla Glue which so far seems to be holding firm.

#6 ·
Could you just remove the portion of the rubber that covers the ports to eliminate the need for glue?

#7 ·
the metal also occludes the port from getting the best sensing so wide open near the port is better

larry and i have known about this for a long time (me for over 25 years lol) and we just mod a mark the pods so we know where the cutaway is to install them

as larry is way more detailed than i am he is going to modify some for a bike he is working on now and document the way he does it and post it

#8 ·
Good deal. Mine came to me with pods, so I look forward to that.

#11 ·
I got lucky. Mine don't have that ridge inside. Although, in a way I was excited to see some sort of magic performance change in a bike that already runs well

#13 ·
I've been fighting my carbs for weeks now. I know what lean feels like, and the bike feels lean. I put in a bigger jet, the bike still feels lean everywhere, but wide open it falls on its face, hiccups, and gives me almost rich-running characteristics. Saw this thread today, pulled the pod filters off and ran it without any air filter... and holy shit, I'm still running lean, but now it just pulls and pulls at wide open throttle.

Still going to drop some serious dime on Murray's carbs (this weekend even), but at least now I know why it was running like ass in a can.

Charles.

#19 ·
It should, yes. Some of the issues.

Strange thing is some bikes take to pods fine. My EX500 ran with pods and a 2-into-1 with only a couple of tries with the jetting, and it was an obvious performance INCREASE, not a decrease (It would never pull the front wheel up on the 2nd-3rd shift before the pods). But the CX carb design does not do well with pods for some reason.

Right now I'm running no filters at all, just to play with the jetting, and teh bike runs better... but still not great. Instead of spending days troubleshooting, I'm just going with murray's carbs. They're the carbs I wanted in the first place... in fact, the next step for me was to purchase the mikuni's off of eBay and figure out how to mount them... but Murray's already done all the work! He beat me to it, and actually made one hell of a nice looking kit. Even worked out all the jetting too, so that man is getting my money.

Charles.

#20 ·
I too have purchased Murrys kit. Although with only one jet change on my stock carbs even with the ports blocked off, the bike ran great! Not lean at all, almost a little rich. I have purchased different filters and they arrived today with no ridge inside! Course with the new carbs guess ridges wont matter much. Guess I got lucky with my stock carbs.

#21 ·
Have any of you tried using UNI pods? I ordered one of Murray's Mikuni sets and I'm going to use a pair of black, foam-covered, oiled UNI pods instead of the tapered pods with visible pleating, like EMGO pods....the tapered pods do look cool, but how well do they actually filter? I want to keep fine dust out of my engine, not just mosquito-sized debris.....

VC3

#24 ·
I too am considering the sock filter.

I talked to Murray about these filters on the phone today. He said, yes they work and they work well, BUT----you will get some blow back from the carbs every once in a while which sends gas onto the foam. In his experience the gas can eat the foam up. If you buy them let me know how it goes.

#27 ·
Well the filters that I got are not the same ones as the pods in a previous post 9 and 10. These actually remind me of a K&N filter. What excites me is the size of then and the fact that I can oil them if I want to, which I more than likely will.

#28 ·
I removed my filters and the large rubber ring that I was going to Dremel down to size, but then looked again. As I placed only the rubber ring back on the carb, with out the filer to clearly see what was being blocked I viewed they do not block the ports. They are at least a 1/4 inch away and the diameter isn't small enough to block the port even if it was up against them. I left it as is. I'll run the engine (eventually) and see how it performs. If it seems like it needs attention, maybe I'll alter it at that time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.