Honda CX 500 Forum banner

First impression of Murray's carbs

274K views 489 replies 162 participants last post by  murrayf 
#1 ·
I'll write a full review on my set of carbs after I've ridden the bike more, but I rode Murray's ratty CX when I got there. I must say... I've never popped a wheelie on a CX in third gear. Sure, it took a little work, but holy shit... If you're thinking about pulling the trigger on a set, DO IT.

Charles

#2 ·
Sorry I missed the chance to meet you on this visit, Charles. I saw Murray the other day, and saw the work he's done. Impressive indeed.

Joel in the Couve (posting from my temporary Wilkesboro NC compound)

#6 ·
I think these are Mikunis

#8 ·
Yeah I'm on board with these things too! Murray called me yesterday wondering why I fell off the face of the planet after I got my carbs...its because I cant stay off of the bike now! It was a fun ride before but it's a freaking blast now!!!! The intakes look so great that I've had several people tell me they thought they were factory upgrades. If you're doubting or curious about Murray's work follow Charles' advice and PULL THE TRIGGER!!!!! You will NOT regret it...unless you're concerned about gas mileage

#10 ·
Its not THAT big of a difference in mileage. The main reason it drops is because you get throttle happy and just want to make the thing run like it you know it will. I'm going to fill up again today. I'll post mileage from my around town riding and again tomorrow when I return from my trip to get hwy mileage.

#14 ·
After the anticipated wait I finally got the Minukis on the ol' Stanley! I took her for ride today to work and then out for awhile after work. The carbs really shine over 3,000 rpm, and full throttle is where they love to be! I have recently found out that my clutch does not like 9,000 rpm or above! I dont have the cahones to get on it in a lower gear like 1st or second yet. I just started riding this year so I have no comparisons to other bikes, but this setup accelerates allot better that the Keihns. That along with the air filters that I put on the bike, which fit behind stock side covers within reason, the sucking of air into the ol 500 sounds awesome! What I really like about the setup is the clean look and the ease of installing and tuning. I will post pictures and mpg rating at a later date!

#15 ·
Murry---

I am so jealous of all you guys with 500's or 650 who will be able to get your Mikuni carbs.

There is a smaller, but not insignificant, world of CX/GL400 owners around the world (Japan, NZ, Australia, Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand:rolleyes:, and various European countries) that would find these carb modifications to our liking.

Any thought as to what would be required to make these mods work for this small, but select group as well? My guess is the demand may be greater than for the 650's.

Thanks,

Mark in Thailand

#16 ·
the same setup will fit the 400 it will just be a matter of switching jets not a big deal except i would have to find a 400

engine and that could be expensive to get over here to play with on the dyno

i could work with you to figure it out if you have skype so we could talk

i could make a few educated guesses and ship a set of carbs over with some spare jets

#17 ·
PLEASE NOTE

i am already getting calls from people with stock bikes

the carbs wont fit on a stock setup if you have the air box and the stock h box this setup wont do it

if there are enough requests i will do a setup for the stock bike but it wont be able to use as good an intake manifold due

to fitting restrictions

#18 ·
How do they make the 400? Is it the same bore, just destroked? You might be able to build a 400 motor with just the crank, rods, and pistons if that's the case. It'd be a lot cheaper to send those overseas and put them in a 500 block yourself. If the block or heads are different though, that's moot.

Charles.

#21 ·
Charles/Murry

I can't speak to the stroke, but the bore is definitely smaller by a few Millimeters as the Head Gaskets show. The Heads are different as well, with smaller valves. All in all I think it would be prohibitive to try and modify a 500 to match a 400's specs.

I have wondered, however, about boring out the 400 to 500 spec's and replacing the relevant parts to make a 500 out of my 400. Would be nice if it were possible but Carbs, Heads and all would add up pretty fast. That said, the few 500's I've seen here are in the USD $3000 range, ouch. AND the gov here recent outlawed the import of used card and bike parts, they say its to prevent unsafe vehicles, but it's really to protect the auto and bike manufacturers here.

The upshot for me, really, is that on a shoe string budget, and gas at USD $6.00 or so, the loss of mpg/kmpg is not really worth the added cost. Besides which, I've got Larry built carbs and I am very happy with them.

BUT, that's just me. I'm sure there are others out there with 400's who would welcome Murry's Mikuni carbs and be able to fine tune them and work with Murry far better than I can. Shep in Europe for instance or those great folks in Australia or New Zealand.

Mark in Thailand

#24 ·
Gasoline with 10% adrenaline mixed in definitely reduces mpg, worse than corn-a-hol.

#25 ·
Tell ya what Murry, Ill do a mileage check this weekend and let you know what I'm running. I know that running 55 to 60 with Keihn carbs jetted for pods, I was anywhere between 45 to 50 mpg, no kidding. I will post here Sunday night and let you know what my 500 is doing with the Minukis.

#28 ·
i only ride 2 ways steady speed on the highway or wide open lol

on the highway i run my gl650 or my goldwing at 70-75 mph i get around 45-47 on both of them

in town of back roads if i am having fun i can work my mileage down as low as 28 on a 500 but its at wide open a lot

once you guys run your bikes for a bit do a plug read at your favorite cruising rpm and let me know or see the plug color

you may be able to adjust for a bit better gas mileage i jetted the carbs for max power so the 500s makes roughly 20 percent more power

and if you are using it they will burn that much more There is no magic pill if you want great gas mileage leave the bike dead stock

my job is to give you the ability to burn more fuel cleanly but the harder you twist the throttle the more

you will burn more its always the same mathematical formula

hp desired divided by wallet thickness x right wrist droop factor = smiles per hour

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.