Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1979 CX500 new build

38K views 123 replies 23 participants last post by  glrider 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm new here and thought I would post a few pictures of my CX500 build.
I haven't done much yet, and this will probably be quite a slow build.
Here is the bike as I bought it.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motorcycle accessories

Changed the front end yesterday, using VFR750 yokes, and GSX600F forks.

Vehicle Auto part

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire

Vehicle Bicycle part Metal Fuel tank

Also I'm using an 18" CM400 front wheel. I've machined an adapter to fit a CBF600 front disk.

Disc brake Auto part Flange Automotive brake part Rim

Alloy wheel Wheel Rim Auto part Spoke

That's it for now, but I'll keep it updated as I go along.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice work so far, keep posting!

#3 ·
All builds are slow... I'll be following this one, thanks for posting

#5 ·
Thanks for the comments.
The original tank had been repainted by a previous owner, I couldn't say if it was the stock colours or not.
I've been cleaning the carbs out, and am waiting for some new jets. I want to fire it up before I strip it any further as it hasn't run in a couple of years.
I've also stripped, repainted and rebuilt the front caliper that I am going to use.

Auto part Automotive engine part

#17 ·
I work at a company that manufactures aircraft parts, I'ts nearly all CNC.
I have a manual machining past, and have only recently started operating CNC's, probably why I like using the Prototrak, I'ts a bridgeport clone with a PC hung on the side :)

I chose the GSX600F forks for a few reasons,
1) they was available cheap!
2) 41mm, the right diameter for the yokes
3) I looked up the dry weight of the 600 at 458 lbs, and thought that was similar to the CX's weight (hope that logic works!)

#28 ·
#27 ·
I think it's a great colour combo. I wouldn't have "Honda" on the tank though. I prefer the Honda wing emblem.

#32 ·
OCR, I think those pipes are by CRK Cafe Racer Kits. CX500 Cafe Racer Parts Buy Cafe Racer Kits Online CRK-500
Actually, I believe the pipes in the picture are the MAC-2-1 exhaust set up which is chrome finish, but if you like CRK setup which is stainless finish and straight pipe (and doesn't include silencers) check out Joram's build for a visual.

I like them both!

As for the engine color scheme, I vote no, it just makes the cylinder heads look out of place IMO.

Na-Zdrowie!
-Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.