Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1979 CX500 new build

38K views 123 replies 23 participants last post by  glrider 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm new here and thought I would post a few pictures of my CX500 build.
I haven't done much yet, and this will probably be quite a slow build.
Here is the bike as I bought it.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motorcycle accessories

Changed the front end yesterday, using VFR750 yokes, and GSX600F forks.

Vehicle Auto part

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire

Vehicle Bicycle part Metal Fuel tank

Also I'm using an 18" CM400 front wheel. I've machined an adapter to fit a CBF600 front disk.

Disc brake Auto part Flange Automotive brake part Rim

Alloy wheel Wheel Rim Auto part Spoke

That's it for now, but I'll keep it updated as I go along.

See less See more
#35 ·
Started work on my clocks, I've got an Acewell ACE-1600. I bought a cheap set of clocks and some perspex off ebay.
I cut the face out of the clocks and cut the perspex to fit, the sprayed the back black leaving a window for the lcd to show through.

Personal protective equipment Technology Electronic device

Then sprayed the rim silver.

I've just got to fit some buttons now.

#38 ·
I haven't done much on the bike over summer, but finally got some more work done on it.
I've altered the rearset mounts as they made the footpegs far too wide apart where they was.
I'm much happier with the gear linkage now, it looks much neater.
I've also moved the top shock mounts, and fitted shorter shocks to compensate, as the seat wouldn't fit properly where they was.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Auto part

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Auto part

Auto part Motor vehicle Vehicle Fuel line Engine

#71 ·
I noticed the rear shocks keep changing like 2-3 maybe 4 times throughout the thread. What brand and size did you shorten them to??

Cheers!

I haven't done much on the bike over summer, but finally got some more work done on it.
I've altered the rearset mounts as they made the footpegs far too wide apart where they was.
I'm much happier with the gear linkage now, it looks much neater.
I've also moved the top shock mounts, and fitted shorter shocks to compensate, as the seat wouldn't fit properly where they was.

View attachment 16532

View attachment 16533

View attachment 16534

View attachment 16535

#39 ·
I'm a bit late to the party, but I'm really liking where you're going with this! Its definitely "out of the box", but you're pulling it off very well! Keep it up, I'm very much looking forward to seeing where this goes :)

#41 ·
Dude! Holy crap! Definitely following this build!

About that engine color choice...it does break up the visual mass of the engine, if that's what you want to achieve. Personally I like the style of the twisted twin, I don't think it needs breaking up. It's a big ugly gorgeous chunk of different.

Cheers!

#43 ·
Your conversion is stunning! Love the rear brake setup.

Don't mean to be a pooper, but the amount of rust/neglect concerns me... did you check frame integrity? Also, do you plan on replacing all the rubber bits? Seals/gaskets and whatnot. Definitely take a look into the swingarm.

Really looking forward to seeing how she comes out!

Reactions: kawasakikr1
#44 · (Edited)
Thanks for the comments.
The amount of rust was a concern for me (still is). So far it all appears to be surface rust.
You're right about the swingarm the original one had rotted through and had a patch welded on it, the one that's on it now is from a breakers in Utah.
Once I get everything tacked into place (I'm going to get a friend to do the final welding, as you can probably tell I'm not that good at welding!), and start to strip it down I'll take a look at all the rubber bits. (not sure what I'll find).
Believe it or not this was being ridden daily up until about 2-3 years ago by the previous owner!

#46 · (Edited)
I've done a tiny bit of work on the bike today.
Fitted front indicators, horn, mirrors and a bigger bore rear master cylinder (the other one worked fine, but there was just a bit too much pedal travel)
I also cut off the original rear footpeg mounts, I've found a little rust hole under one of them which will have to be repaired with weld.

Auto part Motor vehicle Vehicle Engine Fuel line

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting

Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Automotive exterior

Auto part Motor vehicle Vehicle Suspension Fuel line

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Motorcycle

Vehicle Machine Metal

#48 · (Edited)
A little bit of progress today.
I've made an under seat tray, and started on a catch to secure the seat at the rear.
I'm using a gsxr400 seat catch, I've made a pin to fit in the catch. Now I've just got to figure out the spot that the pin needs to go on the seat base, as it can't be seen when the seat is on.
I'm thinking blu-tack on the seat base and pushing the seat into place on the pin to see where it leaves a mark?
Anyone got any other ideas?

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Auto part Car

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Metal

Cylinder Metal

Fastener Screw Nut Metal

#49 ·
Blu-tack! I love it!

#53 ·
Looks like you got the thing just in time another year or so of neglect and

she would have been junk.

The P.O. rode it hard and put it up wet,oil change you mean add oil right ?

Yeh I add oil when the oil light comes on.

My brother in law said when the engine in his car

ticks for about a week he puts in 3 quarts.

Unless the oil light comes on then he did it right away. Duh !

#54 ·
Looking great, I'm watching this one!

#55 ·
I've started on the electrics, I've had to unwind all the old tape to fix the years of previous bodges (wires twisted together and taped up!)
It's very much a work in progress!

Electrical wiring Wire Auto part Electrical supply Technology

Technology Electronic device Measuring instrument Electronics Gauge

Also changed the shocks, I've tried 2 previous pairs one was too hard and one way too soft. These seem to be perfect with a nice amount of static sag.

Auto part Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Engine

#57 · (Edited)
Yes, the wiring isn't too bad to figure out. I'm changing a lot of the original connectors for new weather-proof ones, as some of the original ones are quite 'crusty'.

I'm changing the main fuse for a mini blade type, but the others I'm leaving as glass type as I had a NOS fuse box off a CB360.
I made a new sticker for inside it, as it originally had 3 fuses rather than 2 fuses and a diode.

I also had a packet of 10 fuses. Unless I have a major wiring problem, they should last quite a few years :)

#60 ·
I've started on this mess this morning

Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Motorcycle Engine

I've done the left hand switchgear, it didn't make it easy as I'm using GPZ500 switchgear.
I have got grommets to go in the headlamp shell, but it's easier to wrestle with the wires with them out at the minute :)

Electrical wiring Wire Auto part Technology Cable

I might tackle the right hand side later today.

#61 ·
I hope you find room for the reflector etc. when you have finished!

Reactions: kawasakikr1
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.